FAO: Black people

Da Luv Doc

http://www.nytimes.c...gates.html?_r=1Ending the slavery blame game - Henry Louis GatesArticle from last year, might be of interest.
i have little respect for louis gates. and some of my professors who know him well said the same.he always seems to come across as an African american with an african blame complex.i wonder, if his article wouldve been published if he spoke about the african leaders who DID fight against slavery of which gets so little press, and what happened to them. same old information being rehashed.he published a documentary about 7 years ago on the same subject, why repeat this again?

Lusius Quietus, Commander of the Imperial Cavalry of the Romano-Moorish Army: Lusius_Quietus_on_Column_of_Trajan.jpgLusius Quietus, Commander of the Imperial Cavalry of the Romano-Moorish Army: Here one finds the relief of the Moorish Cavalry of the Roman Army under Lusius Quietus, fighting against the Dacians. It was commissioned by Emperor Trajan. Lusius Quietus was a Roman general and governor of Iudaea (JUDEA..or Israel and palestine today) in 117. These are the real Maures, the true Maures, the ones known to the world as the Moors. Their hair was wooly like the hair on sheep-skin. They were all dreadlocks, and fierce warriors. They were the master horsemen of yore-days. The original cavalry of the Roman Empire. The Emperor of Rome was beholden to them, because the cavalry division was like the tanks and helicopters units of the modern army. Without them no wars were winnable.Another military diploma A.D 158 speakes of Moorish soldiers from Africa in Dacia, or modern Romania,and also of auxiliary troops of the Dacian Moors.The Maurish cavalry battalions were so skillful in horsemanship that many of them rode without saddles, nor bits nor straps, and never any whip. They were one and the same with their horses. They introduced the code of chivalry into Europe. For those military Roman administrators became the upper-class of their separate Dioscese, and regions of Europe following the chaos that over took Rome on its conquest by the Goths.Many Moors of North Africa became Roman citizens because Rome had more cities on the coasts of Moorish Africa than it had in Europe. The Roman Empire was essentially a Mediterranean-African Empire, alien and hostile to western Europe. After the punic wars, Roman stepped into the shoes of African Carthaginian Empire, and took over its material legacy.

http://www.nytimes.c...gates.html?_r=1Ending the slavery blame game - Henry Louis GatesArticle from last year, might be of interest.
i have little respect for louis gates. and some of my professors who know him well said the same.he always seems to come across as an African american with an african blame complex.i wonder, if his article wouldve been published if he spoke about the african leaders who DID fight against slavery of which gets so little press, and what happened to them. same old information being rehashed.he published a documentary about 7 years ago on the same subject, why repeat this again?
I know little about him and the reparation argument is one that I feel can never be sold because of how long its been and how each year it becomes that little more difficult. I find it most interesting about the Obama angle and I think it further shows the difficulty ( impossibility) of his job in comparison to past presidents.

more info about the moors in ancient Rome/Britainhttp://www.telegraph...m-Africans.html

Families who have lived in the English-Scottish Borders for generations could be descended from African soldiers who patrolled Hadrian's Wall nearly 2,000 years ago. Archaeologists say there is compelling evidence that a 500-strong unit of Moors manned a fort near Carlisle in the third century AD.
Richard Benjamin, an archaeologist at Liverpool University who has studied the history of black Britons, believes many would have settled and raised families. "When you talk about Romans in Britain, most people think about blue eyes and pale complexions," he said. "But the reality was very different."
The unit was probably mustered in the Roman province of Mauretania, in modern-day Morocco, by the emperor Septimus Severus and arrived in Britain in the second or third centuries AD. Aballava lay at the western end of Hadrian's Wall in Cumbria.
In 1989, archaeologists discovered a 1,900-year-old wooden sculpture of a black African head in London carved in the first century.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

READING THIS FOR AN ESSAY IM DOING ATMDouglass, Frederick, 1817?-1895. Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slavehttp://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=DouNarr.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public∂=11&division=div1SOME MAY FIND INTERESTING

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone in favour of reparations? If so, how would you like/ think them to be implemented?
I'm unsure about reparations. Other groups received them; billions worth. But how would you hand them out now? Shouldn't some African countries contribute a tiny amount to these reparations?What about the Native Americans?And last but not least, surely it would only further support the delusional argument that it is now the white American man that is oppressed.

Guest Esquilax
Is anyone in favour of reparations? If so, how would you like/ think them to be implemented?
I'm unsure about reparations. Other groups received them; billions worth. But how would you hand them out now? Shouldn't some African countries contribute a tiny amount to these reparations?What about the Native Americans?And last but not least, surely it would only further support the delusional argument that it is now the white American man that is oppressed.
Hardly, the white man is still in the position to be paying said reparations to the 'poor blacks' That's the mentality I garner from it anyway

Reparations are set out to repair nations, and reimburse them for their financial losses1 - there is no Nation that encompasses the majority of Black people - Africa is a continent remember 2 - whoever would pay the debt, wouldn't be able to afford it

Hardly, the white man is still in the position to be paying said reparations to the 'poor blacks' That's the mentality I garner from it anyway
Unsure what you mean by this.

Guest Esquilax

You're saying that the implementation of reparations would be in danger of making the white man seem like the victim of an afro centric society of profuse apologists, whereas I'M saying that to me, it would seem like white people 'coming to save the day', which I don't think is very progressive, especially for blacksBut I'm speaking as a white guy, so... You know, that's just my perspective

You're perhaps looking at as people getting hand-outs don't help themselves. But are you fully taking into account, the impact of slavery and laws that existed up until the mid 60's and in some states until the end of 70's.andIf Japanese Americans received reparations for being held in camps during WW2, why shouldn't Blacks for the impact of slavery?Whilst it may not seem progressive in your eyes, for x amount of years, everything was done by American to ensure that Blacks were kept far away from any kind of progression at all. /Anyway, I don't even think billions of dollars would even be sufficient to reverse all the sh*t they did./It's simplistic, but if I kept your great-grandparents as my slaves and paid them nothing, and stopped them from any type of advancement, and my children benefited from it all, would you want my kids to give up some of the things they gained because of your grandparents servitude

• Upvote 1

why are people arguing about reparations? the stupid question was not answered since january for a reason.thought this wasnt a 'slavery' thread. Europe would owe something like $10trillion if reparations are to be paid, they cant afford it and will never pay itcos you will have pple like esqui and his mum shouting they had nothing to do with it. (even though they reap the benefits).end of story.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

COROMANTEE

Coromantee people, also called Coromantins or Coromanti people was the designation for recent Caribbean and South American people who were enslaved and brought from the Gold Coast or modern day Ghana. Coromantins were from several Akan ethnic groups – Ashanti, Fanti, Akyem, etc. – presumably taken as war captives. Owing to their militaristic background and common Akan language, Coromantins organized dozens of slave rebellions in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Their fierce, rebellious nature became so notorious amongst white plantation owners in the 18th century that an Act was proposed to ban the importation of people from the Gold Coast despite their reputation as strong workers. The Coromantins and other Akans had the single largest African cultural influence on Jamaica, including Jamaican Maroons whose culture and language was seen as a derivation of Akan. Names of some notable Coromantee leaders such as Cudjoe, Quamin, Cuffy, and Quamina correspond to Akan day names Kojo, Kwame, Kofi, and Kwabena, respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coromanteeeven when enslaved we still held it up
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1