Drake

JLovely

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday our friends at Complex published a piece crowning Drake a hip-hop legend. And whether you personally enjoy his music or not, it’s becoming harder and harder to argue with that statement.

Read more below…

Drake set the Internet alight two weeks ago by dropping his new mixtape If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late with no prior warning, and the project has already sold over 600,000 copies. As if that wasn’t impressive enough, all 17 songs (yes, even the interlude) are currently charting on Billboard‘s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart based off downloads and streams.

Combined with guest appearances on Big Sean’s “Blessings,” iLoveMakonnen’s “Tuesday” and Nicki Minaj’s “Only” and “Truffle Butter,” Drizzy currently places 21 songs on the chart — that’s 42 percent of the entire chart — breaking his own record for the most simultaneously charting hits in the history of the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs Chart.

If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late tops the R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart for a second week running after selling an additional 129,000 copies over the last seven days.

All of Drake’s 21 Songs on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Chart (March 7, 2015):

No. 4 — “Only,” Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown

No. 5 — “Truffle Butter,” Nicki Minaj Featuring Drake & Lil Wayne

No. 9 — “Energy”

No. 16 — “Tuesday,” iLoveMakonnen Featuring Drake

No. 17 — “Legend”

No. 19 — “10 Bands”

No. 22 — “Blessings,” Big Sean Featuring Drake

No. 23 — “Know Yourself” (Debut)

No. 26 — “No Tellin'”

No. 27 — “Preach” Featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR

No. 28 — “6 God” (Debut)

No. 29 — “Used To” Featuring Lil Wayne

No. 32 — “Now & Forever”

No. 34 — “6 Man”

No. 38 — “Jungle”

No. 39 — “Star67″ (Debut)

No. 40 — “Madonna” (Debut)

No. 42 — “Company” Featuring Travi$ Scott (Debut)

No. 43 — “Wednesday Night Interlude” Featuring PARTYNEXTDOOR (Debut)

No. 45 — “6PM In New York”

No. 49 — “You & The 6″ (Debut)

http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/every-song-on-drakes-new-album-is-on-billboard-chart/

Contextual

Putting out very good, consistent music in a weak era doesn't give you legend status

He may be a legend in this era, but he is not a rap legend, not yet anyway

Rap's a young buls game.

He's gone clear, his influence is wide spread, consistent good music for 6 years.

/

Is Wayne a legend?

In my opinion I haven't listened to enough of Wayne to pass comment on him being a legend,however Rick "long run, effecte d the style of the game" Ross isn't, but if Drake is, surely he is too

/

"Nicki Minaj has broken the record of King of Pop Michael Jackson for having the most Billboard Hot 100 hits. Minaj's latest single "Anaconda" made its entry at number 19 spot thus giving the rapper her 51st Hot 100 hit as compared to Jackson's previous record of 50, new reports suggest. Surprisingly, the 31-year-old was able to achieve this result in just four years."

Just one if the records Nicki has broken, ran the female rap game for years now too, sells out shows, puts out constant hits, has strongly influenced female rap

Is she a legend too then?

"Heroes get remembered, but legends never die," but what The Sandlot fails to explain is how in-death people become legends. If Drake were to die tomorrow, how would that affect his legacy. Of course it's a tragedy when anyone young passes away, whether they're a construction worker of platinum rapper. Drake's death would be devastating because ultimately he's a human being and the death of a person is always sad, but would hip-hop be unable to recover? Would the future of rap look a little less bright without Drake? In terms of artisty, in terms of making hip-hop the absolute best it can be, I'm not sure we would miss his depth because quite frankly he never had it to begin with. He may pass the test when it comes to popularity, album sales and putting on other artists but making music that the world needs, music that connects on a more spiritual level, is where Drake falls short and that is the most important check mark for any legend.

I can't picture a world where "Juicy" or "Changes" doesn't exist, but I can picture a world without "Legend." Only time and Drake himself will ultimately be able to cement his legacy one way or another, but right now he's just not legendary, no matter how well he sings about it. 

i agree wit this

If you were to take every Drake song and mix them up, it would be difficult to place them back in order. The legends make you remember where you were the first time you heard them. They make you know their history. You can trace their career through their projects. I still get goosebumps from MBDTF, the feeling I get from "The World Is Yours" has grown even stronger with age. I didn't even realize it but I know all the words to All Eyez On Me. Yet, while Drake is always in rotation - typically at the gym or out drinking - I'm realizing I've never developed a deeper connection with the music. 

Drake has never given me that moment. I've never gotten goosebumps. I've never sat in the parking lot waiting for a Drake song to end. I've never cried to his music and I've never laughed (only at him). His music sells and is popular, but that's it. He's a reflection of the era rather than the one who really changes things. To be legendary you have to not only stand the test of time but transcend it. The stuff that gets played years later and the artists who make it are legendary because, no matter how much time goes by, how many other albums are released, and how much the culture changes, their music still connects because they have captured something unique about the human experience. In 10 years, when we look back at Drake sing rapping about Twitter beef it will be fun to say "oh yeah I remember that," but that's it. 

this is also real talk