Chip & Skepta are going for that mainstream money?

Tirunih

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me when any artist from any major music market has had commercial success with a "hard" single? I'm talking top 10's here. Look at your favourite U.S or UK artist and you'll see what I'm talking about (e.g. Jay-Z)People like to talk about "real music" not charting, but when has real street music ever charted? thats the whole reason it's street music, because its underground and not something the middle class understand or enjoy.Every few years you do get a real underground song that hits mainstream (last 2 were giggs and forward riddim) but even then, they never ever reached a level where they could have been a top 3.The singles market = pop/dance/rnb. UK artists are fusing their original sounds with these 3 genres to make ££££. Get over it.People are quick to big up shotters who make dough selling crack, yet dont wanna congratulate man like Tinchy/Skepta/Chipmunk who are making ££££ doing something legal.

Can someone please tell me when any artist from any major music market has had commercial success with a "hard" single? I'm talking top 10's here. Look at your favourite U.S or UK artist and you'll see what I'm talking about (e.g. Jay-Z)People like to talk about "real music" not charting, but when has real street music ever charted? thats the whole reason it's street music, because its underground and not something the middle class understand or enjoy.Every few years you do get a real underground song that hits mainstream (last 2 were giggs and forward riddim) but even then, they never ever reached a level where they could have been a top 3.The singles market = pop/dance/rnb. UK artists are fusing their original sounds with these 3 genres to make ££££. Get over it.People are quick to big up shotters who make dough selling crack, yet dont wanna congratulate man like Tinchy/Skepta/Chipmunk who are making ££££ doing something legal.
That....Edit: I mean this.

i didnt like either tracks, but i can see the british market liking the 1st one.skeptas one is rubbish. i mean using that synth thats been done and dusted!its all aimed for the singles market so good luck to them. at least it seems the door is slightly openingthese guys would have to be on a a really top level songwriting wise/production wise to have more of a say in their projectsso until then this is gonna have to do.

Kanye West with Stronger was the last urban music artist to get a UK #1 without having RnB/singing or it being a dance genre track - but it has a dance sample so I guess it doesn't fully qualify.Other than that the only UK #1 singles within the last 10 years that were hiphop were made by Eminem. So Solid + Oxide & Neutrino also had a #1 each, and Afroman - Because I Got High (dunno if you wanna exclude that because of it was singing but hey...)

Can someone please tell me when any artist from any major music market has had commercial success with a "hard" single? I'm talking top 10's here. Look at your favourite U.S or UK artist and you'll see what I'm talking about (e.g. Jay-Z)People like to talk about "real music" not charting, but when has real street music ever charted?
M.O.P.'s fanbase was loyal but remained rather small until 2000, when they released Warriorz, this time on Loud Records. Mainstream radio began playing the first single, "Ante Up", produced by DR Period whom they had not worked with since their debut.[2] The single was a hit and propelled the album to #25 on the Billboard 200 chart.[7] The follow-up single, the self-produced "Cold As Ice" (which featured a sample from "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner), also received radio airplay,[5] although almost half of the song's lyrics had to be censored for the radio version. It was used in the UK on a TV advert for Ice White toothpaste. Both "Ante Up" and "Cold as Ice" reached #6 in the UK Singles Chart.[6]

times have changed...my opinion will always stay the samei don't even wanna attempt to get into this UK music debate (which i might end up doing)... the industry is f*cked in this country, there are many reasons why the music industry in this country is the way it is..one of them is to do with the fact that we live in ENGLAND.... .. people that buy music in this country have a sh*t taste for music.. so in a sense the up and coming urban acts HAVE to accommodate to their tastes.. simple.. it's not the artists fault ... it's how england is.Major cities in england are outnumbered by villages,towns small cities ects... they hear what's on the radio usually radio 1 ect... see my point?The only way an talented urban act can make music at their own comfort is to go US... and i don't buy this crap on how yanks don't take us seriously... the way i see it is if your good enough they WILL accept you...

times have changed...my opinion will always stay the samei don't even wanna attempt to get into this UK music debate (which i might end up doing)... the industry is f*cked in this country, there are many reasons why the music industry in this country is the way it is..one of them is to do with the fact that we live in ENGLAND.... .. people that buy music in this country have a sh*t taste for music.. so in a sense the up and coming urban acts HAVE to accommodate to their tastes.. simple.. it's not the artists fault ... it's how england is.Major cities in england are outnumbered by villages,towns small cities ects... they hear what's on the radio usually radio 1 ect... see my point?The only way an talented urban act can make music at their own comfort is to go US... and i don't buy this crap on how yanks don't take us seriously... the way i see it is if your good enough they WILL accept you...
did u used to be in the music game

did u used to be in the music game
why?

The major cities argument is flawed cos I'm pretty sure the population of the major cities in England outnumbers that of villages & towns.And the majority of artists in the US compromise their style to shift units.

Guest WAVESURFER
Major cities in england are outnumbered by villages,towns small cities ects... they hear what's on the radio
It's like this everywhere in the world though.That's irrelevant to yr argument IMO.

Can someone please tell me when any artist from any major music market has had commercial success with a "hard" single? I'm talking top 10's here. Look at your favourite U.S or UK artist and you'll see what I'm talking about (e.g. Jay-Z)People like to talk about "real music" not charting, but when has real street music ever charted?
M.O.P.'s fanbase was loyal but remained rather small until 2000, when they released Warriorz, this time on Loud Records. Mainstream radio began playing the first single, "Ante Up", produced by DR Period whom they had not worked with since their debut.[2] The single was a hit and propelled the album to #25 on the Billboard 200 chart.[7] The follow-up single, the self-produced "Cold As Ice" (which featured a sample from "Cold As Ice" by Foreigner), also received radio airplay,[5] although almost half of the song's lyrics had to be censored for the radio version. It was used in the UK on a TV advert for Ice White toothpaste. Both "Ante Up" and "Cold as Ice" reached #6 in the UK Singles Chart.[6]
I hear you. But hiphop was in its prime at that time.. Hiphop didnt have a radio format to go by. It was totally random. I do agree that their fan base was loal tho. But I also hear what streets is saying with Uk urban = pop/rnb/euro. These are the tunes that will put food on the table. These are the songs that will get you these endorsements. These are the tunes that will become ringtone songs These are the tune that will get on compilation cds and get you shows on T4 in the park.Not giggs 'talking the hardest'..I like what N-dubz, stydez & co are doing for themselves. they have a nice situation thats paying off. These guys actually understand the business (uk)

tbh, the only person who i assume is ballin from these tunes is dizzee, cos he is independantcorrect me if i'm wrong but, tinchy, chippy, ironik, n-dubz etc are notso they probs only get a small percentage of the money generated from salesure mad if u think giggs dnt make money from road tunes he has apparently sold 100,000 mixtapes over the last 2 years, also wen talking the ardest was at its peak, he must have been smashing out the PAs and raking it in

I hear you. But hiphop was in its prime at that time.. Hiphop didnt have a radio format to go by. It was totally random. I do agree that their fan base was loal tho. But I also hear what streets is saying with Uk urban = pop/rnb/euro. These are the tunes that will put food on the table. These are the songs that will get you these endorsements. These are the tunes that will become ringtone songs These are the tune that will get on compilation cds and get you shows on T4 in the park.Not giggs 'talking the hardest'..I like what N-dubz, stydez & co are doing for themselves. they have a nice situation thats paying off. These guys actually understand the business (uk)

tbh, the only person who i assume is ballin from these tunes is dizzee, cos he is independantcorrect me if i'm wrong but, tinchy, chippy, ironik, n-dubz etc are notso they probs only get a small percentage of the money generated from salesure mad if u think giggs dnt make money from road tunes he has apparently sold 100,000 mixtapes over the last 2 years, also wen talking the ardest was at its peak, he must have been smashing out the PAs and raking it in
Where the hell did you dig that figure from?