Cameras

PopT

I've got the 60d, this was the first thing I shot on it with some old manual lenses ( used with an adaptor ) I bought for £15-20 off ebay.

Go on Ebay and search for canon FD lenses and cop a FD to AF converter and you're good to go.

Can get yourself a nice selection of lenses for under £100 to f*ck around with, there are some old lenses that are gems so just do a quick google search of any of the FD lenses you see on ebay and you'll be able to find out how good they are.

Are they good tho for Videos?

I heard those converters make you lose quality in sharpness.

I've got the 60d, this was the first thing I shot on it with some old manual lenses ( used with an adaptor ) I bought for £15-20 off ebay.

Go on Ebay and search for canon FD lenses and cop a FD to AF converter and you're good to go.

Can get yourself a nice selection of lenses for under £100 to f*ck around with, there are some old lenses that are gems so just do a quick google search of any of the FD lenses you see on ebay and you'll be able to find out how good they are.

The FD lenses are soft on new cameras fully open but if you stop them down a few f stops you can get very good results providing you have a good lens.

The one that I used in that video is a 24mm Vivitar 2.8, vivitar used to get lenses made by loads of different manufacturers in the 70's and 80's but rebrand them so you can often get a high quality lens for dirt cheap.

If you want to give your videos a look that sets them aside from most people who use the standard lens packs they're a good option and the savings are insane, you can pick up a Canon 50mm 1.4 for about £100.

/

Skola it was done after I shot it. It was a bit of a ball ache because I didn't decide to isolate the red until after recording so it made it more difficult.

The FD lenses are soft on new cameras fully open but if you stop them down a few f stops you can get very good results providing you have a good lens.

The one that I used in that video is a 24mm Vivitar 2.8, vivitar used to get lenses made by loads of different manufacturers in the 70's and 80's but rebrand them so you can often get a high quality lens for dirt cheap.

If you want to give your videos a look that sets them aside from most people who use the standard lens packs they're a good option and the savings are insane, you can pick up a Canon 50mm 1.4 for about £100.

/

Skola it was done after I shot it. It was a bit of a ball ache because I didn't decide to isolate the red until after recording so it made it more difficult.

I got the 50mm 1.8... am happy with the results on that.

I will look out for some of those FD lenses I wil like a 200mm+ with a low fstop (2.8 below ). Thats needed right now.

Most people seem to rock 5Ds

interesting, i was expecting the cost of these cameras to be skyhigh

I think its usually the lens that cost a bomb

Yeah which is why i'm against buying expensive EF lenses ( they only fit on cropped frame cameras like the 7d, 500d, 60d ).

Your camera body will be something you change over the years so it's better to invest in lenses that work on both full (5d) and cropped frame.

If you're going to be hiring lenses every time you want to use your camera it would cost you a bomb.

Obviously you're likely to be using them for still images as well, I don't think anyone who's going to spend a decent amount of money on a cam is going to do be using it for 1 youtube video.

+ you cant just walk into 10 Downing Street and say ur the prime miniter

you gotta work up the ranks, nothing wrong with filmin hood videos, as long as your not still doing loads/its not ur main source of income a decade later

James Cameron started as a miniture model maker.

of course all this doesnt mean sh*t if youre just not good at it

Those hood videos put you in a box tho and you wont get no serious high profile client if your catalogue is just hood vids.

Its a good place to start ... Its easy to recoup but very risky. One of the dudes that films for rap city told me how he got robbed once for his equipment ...

+ you cant just walk into 10 Downing Street and say ur the prime miniter

you gotta work up the ranks, nothing wrong with filmin hood videos, as long as your not still doing loads/its not ur main source of income a decade later

James Cameron started as a miniture model maker.

of course all this doesnt mean sh*t if youre just not good at it

c/s

• 2 weeks later...

So none of u man rating camcorders, is it strictly a dslr ting?

Camcorders as its advantages for documentaries/interviews. I think the camcorders wins over the DSLR. (Longer recording time) DSLRs are restricted to 12mins.

DSLR overheat after a minutes of recording

Gonna buy a Canon 550d next week, comes with the standard 18-55mm IS

Anyone wanna try put me off? or better cameras I can get for the price which is around £600?

And first lens purchase recommendations ? or stick with the standard IS for a little while?

550d is a good choice. But I will look at sony A55

consistent focus

In body Image stabilizer

HDR and 3d function

More bang for your buck imo

But DSLR's are better for low light shooting right?

so yea..

But it also depends on the lens..

Anything over ISO400 on the 550-7d starts to get noisy in low light. You need at least a 2.8 f stop lens to really give you something flawless in low-light.