Weekend Football + CL

Eskay Jones

‘I think about those days all the time and watch Arsenal’s games to see how they are doing,’ said Quincy, who still has a home in North London. ‘I was 16 when I arrived at Arsenal and I left just after turning 20. I was just not professional enough at the time. I don’t think I was ready mentally.‘It was great to train with players like Thierry Henry and I learned so much from Dennis Bergkamp – he was amazing always giving everything in training.’Quincy could not match that discipline and he recognizes it now. ‘I was that player who couldn’t be bothered in training, turning up late, arguing with the coaches. I never did anything crazy but that reputation stays with you.’The long list of clubs doesn’t help his image either – a by-product of being stuck in Russia and taking every loan escape route available. With better guidance he might have waited for a more sensible way out.‘I had an agent at the time who was kind of pushing me for the move,’ he remembers. ‘There was a lot of money involved. It was good financially for me as well, but career wise it was not so good.’Quincy (Owusu Abeyie) recalled a phone conversation with Wenger – long after the Arsenal manager had sold him to Spartak Moscow – that convinced him he could still fulfill his enormous potential.‘I called him because I had a long off-season in Moscow and I was a bit low,’ said Quincy. ‘He told me that he still believes in me and that some good players have a good career from early on but that I would probably be one of those that starts off late.’

Jack Wilshere admits he deserved to be sent off against Birmingham on Saturday but has vowed to learn from the incident.The Arsenal midfielder received a straight red card in the dying minutes at Emirates Stadium following a challenge on Nikola Zigic.The 19-year-old was contrite when he spoke to Arsenal.com afterwards but he will still be punished with a three-game domestic ban.“I just want to say that I mistimed the challenge on Zigic and accept that I deserved to be sent off,” said Wilshere. “I have no complaints about getting the red card and I will learn from this. I’m missing three matches now which I’m really disappointed about, but I just want to say that I deserved the red card.”