The Centreback Solution

YesWeCain

Arsenal defender Johan Djourou has undergone exploratory surgery on his dislocated shoulder, sustained at Old Trafford in the recent FA Cup fixture against Manchester United.The Club can confirm the positive news that there isn’t a need for reconstructive surgery and he will now begin a period of rehabilitation on the shoulder before returning to training in around a month.
So lets say Manchester United at home.

Germany international Per Mertesacker has conceded he would be interested in a move to the Premier League, should he leave Werder Bremen any time soon.Mertesacker remains a key figure in the international set-up, and will start on Saturday night against Kazakhstan, but has been short of his best form for Werder this term.He has received a lot of criticism for his role in Bremen's demise with numerous uncharacteristic mistakes costing his team points, yet he remains a rumoured target of Arsenal and Liverpool.However, the 26-year-old says he is currently only focused on saving Bremen from the drop this year and improving his own form, and then he will consider his options with a move to England being an "attractive" one."England has been an issue for a few years now, but I cannot make a decision yet," he told Die Welt newspaper."Of course the Premier League is attractive, but right now there is only one issue for me and that is avoiding the drop."Dip in formMertesacker's contract with Bremen expires in 2012, meaning the Bundesliga club could only demand a substantial fee for him this summer, but he insists "now is not the time" to discuss where he will be playing next year.Instead, he is trying to work out why his form has dipped this season."There are just so many different reasons which all came together," he explained."But I believe that it happens now and again that somebody does not play one season at the very highest level."You have to go through a dip to improve. We are not machines who always work, but that does not detract from the fact that we cannot repeat such a terrible season."Bremen are 12th in the Bundesliga, just four points above the relegation zone with seven games remaining.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Arsène Wenger admits he would have tried harder to sign another defender if he had known that Thomas Vermaelen was going to be sidelined for virtually the whole season. Vermaelen was expected to miss a few weeks after picking up an Achilles injury on international duty in September but tendon problems eventually kept him out of action for eight months. In his absence, Wenger considered adding cover to the Arsenal backline during the January transfer window but no signing was made.The Belgian defender could return to the first team at Stoke on Sunday and the manager says he would have added to his defensive options if the 25-year-old’s prognosis had been clearer from the start. “I would have tried,” said Wenger. “He had a setback at the end of January but we hoped he would play the second part of the season. “[but] football is not a supermarket where you go and say 'I want a good player, give me one please'. You must find them and in the middle of the season to find a player who strengthens Arsenal is not easy. “We did not have Vermaelen for the whole season but, if you look at the numbers, we conceded less goals from open play than any other team in the league. So it is not all negative, even defensively.”
See now this is when I say, f*ck Off Wenger!
  • Upvote 1

If i was reading them quotes on paper it would have got 1038-1-paper-toss.jpgThe last line is killer. We conceed the least from open play because we conceed the most from set plays.Come like when he drops them "Why I will not be signing (insert players name here)" bars.

Blackburn Rovers defender Chris Samba has revealed he almost joined Arsenal in January and has also admitted he will consider his future at Ewood Park in the summer.The 27-year-old, who was outstanding against West Ham on Saturday, said that he wanted to quit Rovers in the wake of the sacking of Sam Allardyce, but he signed a new contract in February.Samba, though, has still been linked with a move away from Premier League relegation-threatened Rovers and trophyless Arsenal's need for a commanding, experienced centre-back was evident in Sunday's defeat at Stoke.He is likely to again be a wanted man if he is available this summer and he will give thought to his options, as he said: "Everybody knows that I am an ambitious player.Shame"I am at an age now where I want to try to do something. You only have one career and it would be a shame to not make the best of it."I think a move to Arsenal was very close in January, but that is life. You have to continue."Chris Samba Quotes of the week"I am happy at Blackburn, but I will study any opportunities that come my way this year."I'm not trying to move away, but of course I would look if it is the right thing for me."I think a move to Arsenal was very close in January, but that is life. You have to continue."If it happens, it happens, but it wasn't meant to be and football is like that. I committed myself to Blackburn and will always do my best."

Dunno if they was gassing but a few Bolton fans told me, that we shouldn't go for Cahill, cos while he's better in the air than most our current defenders, he ain't the dominant centre-back we need, he is the more ball playing one apparently...TBH when it comes to English based players with Wenger, I dunno if its the price, or Wenger's feelings on their adaption to European football. I generally think he thinks Europeans can adapt the the Premier League better/quicker than English based players adapting to European competition.

I agree with that ^/Cahill is mad overrated imo would never pay them prices being quoted. The media are just hyping him becayuse Terry/Ferdinand getting on and they looking for that english hero at the back. Hes a good player and probably will get better but im not convinced hes going to be THAT guy. We will see. If Wenger is ever going to be pressured into buying a player I hope its not Cahill for 18m or something.

but the incomplete is wengers favorite type of player he is still young enough for wenger to think of the difference time can take i dnt think we will get cahill anymore Samba on the other hand...only thing is, is he able to keep up with the 'pace' that we playHe only spent 6 months in the premiership and got made captain at Blackburn so obviously he is int a natural leader.and he hasnt played in any of the french lower devisionssecond thought we would be stupid to sign him

Samba is just more than a solid defenderHe's a f*ck*ng trooperI bet even when the best strikers in our league come up against him they feel at least a bit intimidatedA CB pairing of Verm and Samba would possibly be just as imposing as that of the other top teamsThat mental factor taken care of the rest is down to defending which both have proved to be good at, Samba especially when it comes down to the last ditch stuff and set pieces as he was trained at the school of Big SamIt's just a factor if Wenger is ready to accept that the other side of his footballing philosophy spectrum the "anti-football" so he calls it is worth implementing to an extent into his own team to no longer be a victim of it The way I see it is we could have won the league playing Wenger football, but only and if only we had some grit on the fieldIf Wenger wakes up a realises that he is actually in the Premier League and not Spain then he will win things and be hailed as one of he greatest managers in Europe