'News of The World' scrapped - News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB

Francis Coquelin

would i be right in assuming that ur beef with the use word 'hack' is that it disguising the fact that feds, public service mandem, employees of phone companies were paid because people usually associate the word hack with some computer geek bypassing some mainframe

• Upvote 1

would i be right in assuming that ur beef with the use word 'hack' is that it disguising the fact that feds, public service mandem, employees of phone companies were paid because people usually associate the word hack with some computer geek bypassing some mainframe

there's nothing to assume

that's what I just said...

It's things like this which made me decide I don't want to get into newspaper journalism tbh

LOOKS LIKE I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE

Things like what?

you really should know what I'm talking about

some zoog journalist

lol be quiet mate, ur whole argument plus the word 'zoog' has pissed the entire internet off.

pos'

there's nothing to assume

that's what I just said...

then i may have to agree with u plyr

In January 2000 a conman working for the Sunday Times, Barry Beardall, tricked staff at solicitors, Allen & Overy, into handing over information about the sale price of Gordon Brown's flat. Listen to Beardall pretending to be an accountant from the 'Dealson group of companies' in two phone conversations he recorded

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/audio/2011/jul/11/sunday-times-gordon-brown

In January 2000 a conman working for the Sunday Times, Barry Beardall, tricked staff at solicitors, Allen & Overy, into handing over information about the sale price of Gordon Brown's flat. Listen to Beardall pretending to be an accountant from the 'Dealson group of companies' in two phone conversations he recorded

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/audio/2011/jul/11/sunday-times-gordon-brown

Rupert Murdoch's bid to take over BSkyB was referred to the Competition Commission this afternoon after the media mogul withdrew undertakings to push through the deal.

Now lets see if David Cameron/OFCOM/Office Of Fair Trade/government etc have the minerals.

Rupert Murdoch will face the humiliation of the Commons issuing a unanimous all-party call for his scandal-ridden News Corporation to withdraw its £8bn bid for BSkyB, the great commercial prize he has been pursuing to cement his dominance of the British media landscape.

In an extraordinary volte face David Cameron will disown the media tycoon by leading his party through the lobbies to urge him to drop the bid.

Murdoch can defy parliament and press ahead with the bid, prompting a Competition Commission inquiry, but he risks finding himself ostracised by a political class that once scrambled to bend to his wishes.

In the latest of a series of strategic coups that has left Downing Street looking flat-footed, the Labour leader Ed Miliband tabled a Commons motion for debate this afternoon urging News Corporation to withdraw the bid "in the public interest".

With the Liberal Democrats certain to back Labour's simple motion, the prime minister took the rare and possibly legally questionable step to row in behind the opposition, even though only the day before Downing Street insisted he and the culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt, must remain impartial on the takeover.

Miliband will lead the debate and will argue that the bid has to be withdrawn at least until police and judicial investigations into phone hacking and police bribery at News International have been completed. That could be 2014.

Cameron's spokesman said it was for News Corp to decide how to respond to the vote, but added "we would always expect people to take seriously what parliament says".

A spokesman for the deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg, said the vote represents "an extraordinary unified statement of the will of the people. It is unimaginable that any public corporation or public figure will want to ignore such a strong statement by the legislature of this country".

Clegg first called for Murdoch to withdraw the bid on Monday, when Cameron had also said he thought Rupert Murdoch's priority should be to sort out malpractices exposed in his company rather than trying to clinch what could eventually a takeover costing roughly $15bn.

First indications suggested that the News Corp chairman will ignore the vote in parliament, and will turn down an invitation to give evidence to the culture select committee next Tuesday.

In London, BSkyB's shares fell another 3% to 692p because investors fear Murdoch's bid could be delayed indefinitely or scrapped altogether.

Full story - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/12/rupert-murdoch-bskyb-news-international?CMP=twt_gu

It's looking good at the moment.

Feel it for Gordon Brown.

Really don't understand how they can still argue that people have the right to know about that sh*t and freedom of the press etc. It's such bullshit.

what Im sayin

I get pissed just hearing them tryna justify it

cunts, utter cunts