'News of The World' scrapped - News Corp withdraws bid for BSkyB

Francis Coquelin

ulysses comes like some guardian writer, very well intended and delivered  but completely  oblivious to the real truth. so Justin is right...all that u wrote was just hot air tbh........
even though you too are mainly gassed

actually i have no qualms blowing my own trumpet at all the impending negs to confidently declare that im one of the few pple on the forum who actually 'get it'. ur not one of us sorry. an example of how gassed ulysses is is to claim that murdoch's power is overblown. are you f*ck*ng nuts? .............................The NY post is a trash paper, it loses money every yr it was losing money when he bought it.. .......................................same for the WSJ, the times is also losing money and never will ever be profitable, .........................................this satan of a man buys up news papers cos he has the people who's opinions "matter" at his beck and call, and 80% of the people who's opinoins "dont matter much" and gives them the sun and other crass. so from this pic..his reach into completely controlling and shaping public opinion is overblown?

news_corp_doughnut_976x785.gif

Guest Awesome Kong

Ben Bradshaw is smashing it.

Basically called out the Conservatives on shifting policies to remove OFCOM, reducing the BBC's programming budget by 25% and scrapping some program to have more regional news all of which Murdoch wanted.

Most governmental departments are facing 25% cuts, not just the BBC. Yes Cameron made a bad decision, but I hate how this has become a "Cameron is Murdoch's lapdog" story. Labour was sucking on Murdoch's d*ck for 12 years mate, why has everyone forgotten this? If Labour still had the support of Murdoch I doubt they would have come out this strongly against him. Miliband's Spin doctor Tom Baldwin, stands accused of practicing some of the Dark Arts that have have got the NOTW in trouble. Brown knew what was going on and chose to do nothing about it, even after the alleged hacking that revealed his son's illness, he still went to Rebekah Brook's wedding. His wife even hosted a Chequers slumber party for Rebekah Wade, Elisabeth Murdoch and Rupert Murdoch's wife, Wendy. if you were that outraged would you still have extremely friendly relations with those people, not just cordial but actually close. It is reported that when The Sun chose to support the Tories in the last election, Sarah Brown saw this as a betrayal, that's how close she was to Rebekah Brooks. Its all politics, and in politics you have to take advantage of any political capital on offer. I don't blame them. Members of The Labour Party obviously have deep personal vendettas against NI for not backing them in the last election, and losing them the elction in 1992. Brown to Murdoch: "I WILL DESTROY YOU", When Murdoch switched sides to the Tories

Then you have that d*ckhead Keith Vas (wiki this guy), chairing that select committee the other day, probably the dodgiest guy in the House of Commons, sanctimoniously haranguing those coppers on counts of corruption. Pot calling the kettle black.

The Sun was the bete noir of the chattering classes. But their influence, and that of News International is/ was greatly exaggerated. The Sun talks about its dislike of Human-rights, its anti- EU, tough on crime, disdainful of the Judiciary, anti- 'elf and safety. etc etc. But they haven't been a success policy wise. Past labour governments and the current Tory party run policies contrary to the these populist sentiments. It is liberalism that runs the roost with the establishment.

The left likes to imagine that Murdoch is some evil Lord Voldermort who corrupts the masses with his right-wing lies and propaganda. But if you turn on the tv or read a newspaper, more often that not, topics like the economy, the environment, crime, immigration, welfare, the EU and the role of the state are all understood in left-wing terms. The conservative party is not even conservative anymore. Cameron truly is the heir to Blair. and if you look closely beneath all the bullshit, all the leaders of the political parties are one and the same, with very minor policy differences.

Murdoch is an opportunistic businessman, who cares little for right-wing politics or ideology, he simply backs the person who thinks will win. He is not a kingmaker.

And all this sh*t about the public standing up for something and achieving something bullshit/ malarkey. it was only because it was politically convenient for Labour and other interested parties to take this up. When something up greater importance vexes the minds of the hoi polloi, and it is not in the interest of the establishment, do you actually think they will give a f*ck what you think?

All this nonsense about plurality, what about breaking up the BBC? It is the single greatest behemoth in the media, and the most respected, but it is not impartial (although it pretends to be), it has a left-leaning slant which is admitted by its directors, it has a much greater influence in setting the news agenda than Murdoch would ever hope for and everyone has to pay 150 pounds for it whether they watch it or not.

All the political parties are just a joke to me. Cameron, Clegg, Miliband all of them.

Your gassed

SHAAAAAATTTTTTAAAAPPPPP.

You can't refute anything so, you come up with ad hominems

I am 95% sure you are Derek from big brother, gay, black and tory.

• Downvote 2

Guest Awesome Kong

Ben Bradshaw is smashing it.

Basically called out the Conservatives on shifting policies to remove OFCOM, reducing the BBC's programming budget by 25% and scrapping some program to have more regional news all of which Murdoch wanted.

Most governmental departments are facing 25% cuts, not just the BBC. Yes Cameron made a bad decision, but I hate how this has become a "Cameron is Murdoch's lapdog" story. Labour was sucking on Murdoch's d*ck for 12 years mate, why has everyone forgotten this? If Labour still had the support of Murdoch I doubt they would have come out this strongly against him. Miliband's Spin doctor Tom Baldwin, stands accused of practicing some of the Dark Arts that have have got the NOTW in trouble. Brown knew what was going on and chose to do nothing about it, even after the alleged hacking that revealed his son's illness, he still went to Rebekah Brook's wedding. His wife even hosted a Chequers slumber party for Rebekah Wade, Elisabeth Murdoch and Rupert Murdoch's wife, Wendy. if you were that outraged would you still have extremely friendly relations with those people, not just cordial but actually close. It is reported that when The Sun chose to support the Tories in the last election, Sarah Brown saw this as a betrayal, that's how close she was to Rebekah Brooks. Its all politics, and in politics you have to take advantage of any political capital on offer. I don't blame them. Members of The Labour Party obviously have deep personal vendettas against NI for not backing them in the last election, and losing them the elction in 1992. Brown to Murdoch: "I WILL DESTROY YOU", When Murdoch switched sides to the Tories

Then you have that d*ckhead Keith Vas (wiki this guy), chairing that select committee the other day, probably the dodgiest guy in the House of Commons, sanctimoniously haranguing those coppers on counts of corruption. Pot calling the kettle black.

The Sun was the bete noir of the chattering classes. But their influence, and that of News International is/ was greatly exaggerated. The Sun talks about its dislike of Human-rights, its anti- EU, tough on crime, disdainful of the Judiciary, anti- 'elf and safety. etc etc. But they haven't been a success policy wise. Past labour governments and the current Tory party run policies contrary to the these populist sentiments. It is liberalism that runs the roost with the establishment.

The left likes to imagine that Murdoch is some evil Lord Voldermort who corrupts the masses with his right-wing lies and propaganda. But if you turn on the tv or read a newspaper, more often that not, topics like the economy, the environment, crime, immigration, welfare, the EU and the role of the state are all understood in left-wing terms. The conservative party is not even conservative anymore. Cameron truly is the heir to Blair. and if you look closely beneath all the bullshit, all the leaders of the political parties are one and the same, with very minor policy differences.

Murdoch is an opportunistic businessman, who cares little for right-wing politics or ideology, he simply backs the person who thinks will win. He is not a kingmaker.

And all this sh*t about the public standing up for something and achieving something bullshit/ malarkey. it was only because it was politically convenient for Labour and other interested parties to take this up. When something up greater importance vexes the minds of the hoi polloi, and it is not in the interest of the establishment, do you actually think they will give a f*ck what you think?

All this nonsense about plurality, what about breaking up the BBC? It is the single greatest behemoth in the media, and the most respected, but it is not impartial (although it pretends to be), it has a left-leaning slant which is admitted by its directors, it has a much greater influence in setting the news agenda than Murdoch would ever hope for and everyone has to pay 150 pounds for it whether they watch it or not.

All the political parties are just a joke to me. Cameron, Clegg, Miliband all of them.

Your gassed

SHAAAAAATTTTTTAAAAPPPPP.

You can't refute anything so, you come up with ad hominems

I am 95% sure you are Derek from big brother, gay, black and tory.

• Downvote 4

@Ulysses

murdoch is more then the betting man, swaying the country's top newspapers towards political parties has visible effect

BBC is public sector, which is the main reason it is not comparable to newscorp

true labour was whoring out, but as Cameron is heir to blair, blair was heir to the previously dominant tory party #changeclothes

you undermine murdochs influence pre hackgate, which he mostly harnessed to become more powerful/gain more influence

The extent of Mudoch's influence on elections, I think, is a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc

Why is being in the public sector a differentiating factor? The BBC has more influence than News Corp could ever dream of. 70% of all broadcasting traffic. When something is released by something like Fox news, or RT, some people take it with a pinch of salt. However when news is relayed by the BBC, it is perceived as authoritative and truthful despite their obvious biases, and this is a problem.

New Labour, despite the left's protestations, is not in any way shape or form conservative. Neither is Cameron's Tory Party. All three main parties (at least the leadership) have settled on a social democratic model.

I cannot believe the gall of some of the Labour politicians in this scandal; the rank hypocrisy and political opportunism of people like Gordon Brown, Ed Miliband, Keith Vaz, Alistair Campbell is unbelievable. I mean, f*ck*ng Alistair Campbell, spin-doctor extraordinaire, the man who made the relationship between the media politics as corrupt as it has even been, the man who helped sexed up the WMD dossier leading this country into its most ill-advised war ever. No doubt most of you will still go and vote Labour at the next election.

@Ulysses

murdoch is more then the betting man, swaying the country's top newspapers towards political parties has visible effect

BBC is public sector, which is the main reason it is not comparable to newscorp

true labour was whoring out, but as Cameron is heir to blair, blair was heir to the previously dominant tory party #changeclothes

you undermine murdochs influence pre hackgate, which he mostly harnessed to become more powerful/gain more influence

I think, is a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc

• Upvote 1

ulysses comes like some guardian writer, very well intended and delivered  but completely  oblivious to the real truth. so Justin is right...all that u wrote was just hot air tbh........
even though you too are mainly gassed

actually i have no qualms blowing my own trumpet at all the impending negs to confidently declare that im one of the few pple on the forum who actually 'get it'. ur not one of us sorry. an example of how gassed ulysses is is to claim that murdoch's power is overblown. are you f*ck*ng nuts? .............................The NY post is a trash paper, it loses money every yr it was losing money when he bought it.. .......................................same for the WSJ, the times is also losing money and never will ever be profitable, .........................................this satan of a man buys up news papers cos he has the people who's opinions "matter" at his beck and call, and 80% of the people who's opinoins "dont matter much" and gives them the sun and other crass. so from this pic..his reach into completely controlling and shaping public opinion is overblown?

news_corp_doughnut_976x785.gif

Obviously he is an immensely powerful man, perhaps too powerful, I didn't deny that. But he is not that the man that decides elections, decides what the weather will be like on Fridays, Or indeed decides the outcome of the Champions League. I would argue that this scandal has blown through this facade, and he is increasingly looking like a Wizard of Oz figure.

Public opinion is not formed by Murdoch, it is the other way round. People who are right-wing buy the telegraph, people who are left wing buy the Guardian. People who don't like the EU, anti-immigration etc. etc. buy the Sun. Proprietors have to reflect and re-enforce the views and opinions of their readers otherwise they wouldn't sell. For example, if Murdoch went bankrupt today, the masses suddenly would not be suddenly awaken from their false consciousness, another proprietor would just step in to fill the gap and sell what Sun readers want to read about.

On a policy level, how successful has the opinion of the right-wing press translated into legislation that reflects their view. I think you will find that is has been very minimal.

He couldn't even deliver Cameron a majority, against the most useless prime minister of modern times. The post and WSJ both supported McCain in 2008, loads of influence there!

It just says a lot for our wet,p*ssy-like, and cowardly political class.

@Awesome Kong

Shut up. Instead of puerile insults. Add something useful to the conversation. If you do not have the faculty to think critically don't bother posting. Is it by force?! I'm not gay, my name is not derek (its Ulysses), I am Black, but I am not a Tory, although they are marginally, just marginally, point five per cent better that Labour. Although If there was an election tomorrow I wouldn't bother voting.

Wise men learn from fools than fools from wise men

Cato

Guest Awesome Kong

@Awesome Kong

Shut up. Instead of puerile insults. Add something useful to the conversation. If you do not have the faculty to think critically don't bother posting. Is it by force?! I'm not gay, my name is not derek (its Ulysses), I am Black, but I am not a Tory, although they are marginally, just marginally, point five per cent better that Labour. Although If there was an election tomorrow I wouldn't bother voting.

Wise men learn from fools than fools from wise men

Cato

You are a Tory fairy boy. You are stupid, just stupid.

• Downvote 3

The BBC has more influence than News Corp could ever dream of. 70% of all broadcasting traffic. When something is released by something like Fox news, or RT, some people take it with a pinch of salt. However when news is relayed by the BBC, it is perceived as authoritative and truthful despite their obvious biases, and this is a problem. New Labour, despite the left's protestations, is not in any way shape or form conservative. Neither is Cameron's Tory Party. All three main parties (at least the leadership) have settled on a social democratic model.No doubt most of you will still go and vote Labour at the next election.

Earlier advice from the Office of Fair Trading and media regulator Ofcom expressed concern about the move over fears News Corp would own too much of the British media.

According to Ofcom, News Corp's UK newspapers under the News International parent company reach 14.5 million people per week - almost double the number reached by the Daily Mail & General Trust group. BSkyB's Sky TV and radio services reach another 45 million.

_53896751_news_corps_media_reach_v2_464.gif

so pls STFU. and wthere its the BBC or the sun or skynews, there is still little difference between the three of them. The BBC however, is not just shaped by one man's influence

The extent of Mudoch's influence on elections, I think, is a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc

Why is being in the public sector a differentiating factor? The BBC has more influence than News Corp could ever dream of. 70% of all broadcasting traffic. When something is released by something like Fox news, or RT, some people take it with a pinch of salt. However when news is relayed by the BBC, it is perceived as authoritative and truthful despite their obvious biases, and this is a problem.

Even if it is a case of post hoc ergo propter hoc, it was still enough''influence'' to have politicians trembling in their boots pre hackgate. Now everyone has come out of the woodworks with bad things to say. I still have to disagree with post hoc... ... owning The Sun and swaying it towards parties makes you much more than a betting man.

The way BBC is funded, and the way the people are appointed into controlling it makes it more accountable to the publics interest. Saying this, it is still evident they have a bias, which could be due to the pressure of being a publicly funded organisation. If they were to drop the political agenda of the current party, they could face drastic measures.

Compared to other TV organisations, BBC is a godsend. In the past few years I feel it has been infiltrated to a certain extent by liberal idealists.

U are right tho there is no difference in the parties. i ain't f*ck*ng voting nxt time round. these jokers can suck my.

The BBC has more influence than News Corp could ever dream of. 70% of all broadcasting traffic. When something is released by something like Fox news, or RT, some people take it with a pinch of salt. However when news is relayed by the BBC, it is perceived as authoritative and truthful despite their obvious biases, and this is a problem. New Labour, despite the left's protestations, is not in any way shape or form conservative. Neither is Cameron's Tory Party. All three main parties (at least the leadership) have settled on a social democratic model.No doubt most of you will still go and vote Labour at the next election.

Earlier advice from the Office of Fair Trading and media regulator Ofcom expressed concern about the move over fears News Corp would own too much of the British media.

According to Ofcom, News Corp's UK newspapers under the News International parent company reach 14.5 million people per week - almost double the number reached by the Daily Mail & General Trust group. BSkyB's Sky TV and radio services reach another 45 million.

_53896751_news_corps_media_reach_v2_464.gif

so pls STFU. and wthere its the BBC or the sun or skynews, there is still little difference between the three of them. The BBC however, is not just shaped by one man's influence

No. How many people watch Sky News not Sky TV Vis-a-Vis BBC News? The BBC has a clear hegemony in broadcasting news. It is not relevant whether or not it shaped by one man or not it still has a blatant left-wing bias. No-one is forced to buy any NewsCorp titles, but everyone is forced to subsidize his behemoth.The BBC is the spiritual centre of a soft-left othordoxy that determines the limit of acceptable political discourse. The influence of the BBC as a monitor of what is politically admissible is almost incalculable: the entire Tory modernisation project was effectively made necessary (as its chief architects often admit) by the need to get a fair hearing on its news coverage.

All I'm saying is that if one must look at monopolistic tendencies in the news media, then the BBC as well as NewsCorp have to be looked into.

the BBC is not too left wing, nor too right wing... its idiots like you who are too right wing thinking that are the extremists. the bbc has reach of 30m TV and radio wise... as that report showed..sky has a 45m reach in the UK when u add everything else. u entire argument is stupid...nobody disgrees that the BBC isnt too powerful. personally i think it should be broken up and become private. we are talking about one man and his influence over politicians and UK life and culture based on the High crimes his demonic company engaged in.....when that time comes ..if ever,,...that the BBC too hacked into phones or committed serious high crimes such as this then we will join you in wanting to piss on its grave....until then..the offender right now is Rupert baphomet... we are lookign into how these monopolistic tendencies have been seriously abused not just who has a monopoly... so quit your whining

the BBC is not too left wing, nor too right wing... its idiots like you who are too right wing thinking that are the extremists. the bbc has reach of 30m TV and radio wise... as that report showed..sky has a 45m reach in the UK when u add everything else. u entire argument is stupid...nobody disgrees that the BBC isnt too powerful. personally i think it should be broken up and become private. we are talking about one man and his influence over politicians and UK life and culture based on the High crimes his demonic company engaged in.....when that time comes ..if ever,,...that the BBC too hacked into phones or committed serious high crimes such as this then we will join you in wanting to piss on its grave....until then..the offender right now is Rupert baphomet... we are lookign into how these monopolistic tendencies have been seriously abused not just who has a monopoly... so quit your whining

The BBC is culturally leftist, as stated by its director general, and Andrews Marr, and countless employees past and present.

You missed my point completely. BBC News and other politics related BBC programmes get more viewers than every other news channel put together. Every Monopoly inherently abuses their position. that's why monopolies are not a good thing.

LOL @ Rupert Baphomet. Again I am not denying the fact that Murdoch is immensely powerful. The crux of the matter is that the outcry against NewsCorp is more politically motivated than anything else.

life is politically motivated mate. thats an abused word tbh, so just bcos a leftwing exposes the wrong doings of the right wing and are indeed wrong doings..that is not worth listening too? thats why its the duty of the right wing to expose the left wing in revenge....what does two cheeks of the same ass mean to you? do you really think that Murdoch and his demons have not got a black book to destroy certain man running their gums now? any politically aware person should know this...and for me its all good news. let them destroy each other cos they are both useless.

life is politically motivated mate. thats an abused word tbh, so just bcos a leftwing exposes the wrong doings of the right wing and are indeed wrong doings..that is not worth listening too? thats why its the duty of the right wing to expose the left wing in revenge....what does two cheeks of the same ass mean to you? do you really think that Murdoch and his demons have not got a black book to destroy certain man running their gums now? any politically aware person should know this...and for me its all good news. let them destroy each other cos they are both useless.

fair enough