King Wojeciech

CarltonLeach

• 9 months later...
Gloves are off: Arsenal consider David Seaman and Jens Lehmann to improve goalkeeper coaching16 Mar 2013 22:30

Wenger has concerns over Szczesny's form this season and will look for an experienced keeper to challenge the Pole

Arsene Wenger is ­considering a summer shake-up of Arsenal’s goalkeeping department.

As well as searching for a new man to ­challenge Wojciech ­Szczesny, A­rsenal boss Wenger could appoint another goalkeeping coach.

It is unclear where such a move would leave current goalkeeper coach Gerry Peyton, but Wenger is desperate to see an improvement.

Former Gunners keepers Jens Lehmann and David Seaman have been spotted at Arsenal’s ­London Colney ­training base in recent weeks, but Wenger could look at other ­candidates too.

Sunday Mirror Sport understands that Wenger has questioned the ­effectiveness of ­Szczesny’s coaching after becoming increasingly concerned by the ­mistakes the Pole has made this season.

Ideally Wenger wants an ­experienced new keeper who can ­challenge the 22-year-old, then act as his mentor. Arsenal ­almost signed Fulham’s Mark Schwarzer for the role three years ago – and sources close to Wenger claim he privately ­accepts it was a mistake not to.

Lehmann and Szczesny worked well together when the German briefly returned to Arsenal in 2011. ­Szczesny said then: “Jens has all the qualities to be a very good coach.”

• 2 years later...

I'd rather Villa. Not even cos I think it would be easier or harder, or Woj tbh.

Thing with Liverpool which will annoy the shit out of me is it will all be about Gerrard. Build up Gerrard, during match Gerrard, if he's on the bench, suspended or injured, still constant camera cutting to Gerrard to Alex and his fucking kids. If they wIn more camera cuts to Gerrard, even if we win there won't even be a smug factor cos I don't even mind Gerrard that much, I just hate the media obsession.

• 1 month later...