King Wojeciech

CarltonLeach

• 3 weeks later...

“Szczesny will not be involved [this weekend] because he might move to Roma. I hope I can give 90 minutes to every player.

“He [szczesny] could go. We are pretty much done, it’s down to paperwork.

“Yes [we are happy]. Szczesny is a top class goalkeeper and we have three who are all top. For one of the keepers, if he can play somewhere it is good.”

Quizzed as to whether sending Szczesny on loan is a risk – even though the club also have David Ospina on the books – Wenger admitted there was a chance it could back fire.

“I agree with you, that is the question that comes to mind,” he said.

“How much can he grow with Cech next to him if he is happy to share his huge experience? How much mentally can he live with the fact that he will not play regularly?

“I believe he will have a future at Arsenal because I rate him highly. I don’t want the opportunity he had at a young age to be wasted.

“He was open-minded [about the move]. He was ready for a fight here and he was ready to go somewhere and play. I believe he trusts me on that.”

It looks as though Petr Cech and Emiliano Martinez will share the glove-butlering duties this weekend as the Gunners take on Lyon and Wolfsburg.

David Ospina will be due back in training next week after his international exploits with Colombia at the Copa America.

• 4 months later...

Arsenal loanee Wojciech Szczesny dropped by Roma over fresh smoking row

Roma dropped Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny for the weekend's match with Atalanta because he was caught smoking again, according to reports in Italy.

The Poland international, who is currently on loan at the Serie A club, was benched as his side lost 2-0 on Saturday night.

The 25-year-old had been Roma's first choice this year but he was overlooked for the visit of Atalanta as Morgan De Sanctis was picked.

And, according to Gazzetta dello Sport, Szczesny was dropped because he was caught smoking after Roma's loss to Barcelona in the Champions League.

The Italians were thumped 6-1 by the Spanish champions in midweek and to make matters worse Szczesny was reportedly spotted sparking up afterwards.

As a result manager Rudi Garcia elected to drop the on-loan Gunners goalkeeper and it is uncertain when he will earn his place back.

The Polish glovesman has been in trouble for his habit in the past, having been slapped with a £20,000 by parent club Arsenal after he was caught smoking in the showers following a 2-0 defeat to Southampton.