Week 11 - 12/13 - Premier League / Internationals

User

Madness

12 November: Peterborough United chairman Darragh MacAnthony has backed manager Darren Ferguson’s decision to fine and transfer list four prominent players.

Club captain Gaby Zakuani, record signing Tyrone Barnett, plus Emile Sinclair and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing have all been disciplined following an internal investigation of events understood to have taken place in the city centre in the early hours of Sunday morning (November 11).

The Peterborough Telegraph has learnt that Ferguson was made aware of ‘unprofessional behaviour’ later on Sunday and hauled the players into London Road for a dressing down first thing this morning (November 12).

Ferguson’s reaction was to fine the players an unspecified amount (the maximum is thought to be two weeks wages) and to make them available for transfer.

Surprisingly the club then put this information into the public domain by way of a brief, vague statement, prompting some fevered speculation as to what had actually taken place. It also led to Posh players and officials being bombarded with critical comments on social network sites.

Certainly the news couldn’t have arrived at a much worse time for the club who are currently next-to-bottom in the Championship after suffering 12 defeats in 16 matches.

MacAnthony used his Twitter account to respond to angry and abusive messages left for him following the release of a club statement on the issue.

He appeared annoyed that senior players had been out in town soon after a sixth home defeat of the season, this one at the hands of Crystal Palace.

MacAnthony said: “Just back from trip and arrived in my office to mountains of tweets. A lot of them full of abuse and anger aimed at me. Now I really am baffled.

“The club has made a statement as you all know and I am fully behind the Gaffer on his course of action today.

“I give blood sweat & tears for the Posh and invest no matter what. Personally (I) have helped players out many times through tough times so when our club’s back is to the wall, (and we) have been well beaten at home again, I need my lads to show some common sense, humility, class and stay focused on (the) battle in hand.

“If they can’t be trusted to do that, then Posh will be stronger without them going forward. Harsh but true!”

Posh paid a club record £1.1 million pound for Barnett earlier this year, but his form has been so poor this season the club would be lucky to recoup much of that fee even if a possible purchaser is found.

Barnett has scored just one goal this season, in the 2-0 win at Barnsley on October 2, and came on as a second-half substitute against Palace.

Sinclair, Mendez-Laing and Zakuani have all struggled to make the Posh starting line-up this season. In the case of Zakuani that’s a massive surprise as he was the club’s player-of-the-year for the 2011-12 season, partly because he played with the help of pain-killing injections in a badly broken toe for much of the campaign.

Zakuani’s apparent involvement in a breach of club rules has shocked Posh fans. The DR Congo international has been seen as the perfect ambassador for the club since moving to London Road in September 2008.

Zakuani has since racked up 160 first-team appearances and has twice helped the club to promotion from League One.

All the players involved have been banned from talking about the incident, but Zakuani felt obliged to defend himself on Twitter after he also received plenty of criticism regarding his behaviour on the social network site.

Zakuani confirmed he had been out in town after the Palace defeat (he was an unsued substitute), but insisted he did not drink and that he did nothing untoward. He admitted he was hurt at being placed on the transfer list.

Zakuani’s insistence that he did not behave badly was backed up by staff at the city’s Halo Nightclub where the Posh party spent part of their big night out.

Halo manager Dave Keetley, again on Twitter said: “Gaby Zakuani has visited Halo on several occasions. ALWAYS (sic) acts the perfect gentleman. NEVER (sic) done anything to the detriment of Peterborough United.”

Zakuani added: “I went out on a weekend where there’s no midweek game. Those that know me know I don’t drink or smoke. I was up at 8am for church next day.

“Honestly at the time I didn’t feel I did anything wrong as I was home around 2am. I wasn’t arrested. (There was) no fighting or anti social behaviour.

“I understand the club are not happy as we are at the wrong end of the table and I have nothing, but total respect for the gaffa (sic) and staff.

I’m hurt it’s come to this as we have made a lot of history in the past 5 seasons and I love the club to bits, sorry to all my fans.

“I hope it gets resolved one way or another, and I’m 100% committed, and never will give less than that. Thanks.”

A club statement released today (November 12) said: “Peterborough United are disappointed to report that Gabriel Zakuani, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Emile Sinclair and Tyrone Barnett have been transfer listed and fined by the football club following an internal investigation into a breach of club discipline.

Madness

12 November: Peterborough United chairman Darragh MacAnthony has backed manager Darren Ferguson’s decision to fine and transfer list four prominent players.

Club captain Gaby Zakuani, record signing Tyrone Barnett, plus Emile Sinclair and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing have all been disciplined following an internal investigation of events understood to have taken place in the city centre in the early hours of Sunday morning (November 11)....

Had a look on twitter and every Posh fan I've seen so far is pissed, they think Zakuani is their best player.

What a quote

:lmao:

Materazzi was also asked to pick the best eleven players he has played with and against, and the inclusion of Zinedine Zidane raised a number of eyebrows after the pair's famous altercation in the 2006 World Cup final which saw the Frenchman sent off.

"Julio Cesar, Maicon, [Fabio] Cannavaro, Materazzi and [Christian]Chivu in defence.

"[Gennaro] Gattuso, [Dejan] Stankovic and [Daniele] De Rossi in midfield, with [Antonio] Cassano, Zidane and [samuel] Eto'o up front.

"Why Zidane? He has a place in my heart. He made me win a World Cup."