Kiss FM DJ David Rodigan quits over 'marginalisation' of reggae

Yak_Louis

It's the way I'm afraid Stacks, but we should be making more of an effort to get into what is considered theirs too, get to the top of things they consider to be for them, that's the only way really.

I wanted digital radio in my car for 1X but I realised it wasn't for black people so thought again.

WEH DI BADBWOY POLICE NAME?... LAING

AND WEH DI DON FI MANDEVILLE NAME? SKENG....

SEEEN...COME AGAIN!

BIG UP RODIGAN FROM KISS FM!

R.I.P to all the late great legends in this business, and big up Rodigan cah he's REAL and has supported reggae music for decades! He's made millions for Jamaican artists, and kept a lot of publishing money flowing.

/

lol@ the coons that dont agree with stacks. thats all part of the problem tbh

chatting sh*t about cross over appeal.

secondly, the asian network covers everything within their community

but they gave black people just music.......................without the control over it too.

dancing monkeys will always dance when the music plays

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

lol@ the coons that dont agree with stacks. thats all part of the problem tbh

chatting sh*t about cross over appeal.

secondly, the asian network covers everything within their community

but they gave black people just music.......................without the control over it too.

dancing monkeys will always dance when the music plays

Exactly .

• Downvote 1

thing is with asians there very driven and u want to see wot there'v done in leicester basically took it over....

they have taken over one side and turned it into little india with numerous indian temples,banks, even huge shoppin malls....

u cant believe u eyes really i was shocked the temples are like the size of buckingham palace no joke

there game to acheive wat is set should be praised tbh, asains are repping....

black people should learn from asains stick together and help eachother out rather than warin each other..........

thing is with asians there very driven and u want to see wot there'v done in leicester basically took it over....

they have taken over one side and turned it into little india with numerous indian temples,banks, even huge shoppin malls....

u cant believe u eyes really i was shocked the temples are like the size of buckingham palace no joke

there game to acheive wat is set should be praised tbh, asains are repping....

black people should learn from asains stick together and help eachother out rather than warin each other..........

Get me . Is it really such a bad thing to want this without having the apologists and the uncle toms banging their drums and tooting their horns

No one's being apologists you twat. We're just stating the realities.

You're saying stupid sh*t like "why did we let him become a reggae dj?" like you can stop people from playing your music. You know why Asian people don't have white people at the head of their music outlets? Because white people don't like Asian music. Its not like they took a united front against white people trying to get in.

If you wanna complain about something why don't you complain about whatever shareholders of ChoiceFM sold their shares to Capital and allowed the show to be washed of black culture and have the non-mainstream music suppressed to the late hours.

If you wanna complain about something, complain about the fact that black people don't support their genres in music purchases, only going to raves - meaning that without the help of white people... black music can only stay in the raves... forcing black artists to conform to the wants of a white audience if they want to make more of a career than beyond the rave.

You can bitch all you want about people like Rodigan, Westwood, Charlie Sloth and Logan Sama existing, but these white people are helping black music, that hasn't been watered down to mainstream acceptance, be pushed to white audiences so that these artists can possibly have some success without selling out.

• Upvote 5

No one's being apologists you twat. We're just stating the realities.

You're saying stupid sh*t like "why did we let him become a reggae dj?" like you can stop people from playing your music. You know why Asian people don't have white people at the head of their music outlets? Because white people don't like Asian music. Its not like they took a united front against white people trying to get in.

If you wanna complain about something why don't you complain about whatever shareholders of ChoiceFM sold their shares to Capital and allowed the show to be washed of black culture and have the non-mainstream music suppressed to the late hours.

If you wanna complain about something, complain about the fact that black people don't support their genres in music purchases, only going to raves - meaning that without the help of white people... black music can only stay in the raves... forcing black artists to conform to the wants of a white audience if they want to make more of a career than beyond the rave.

You can bitch all you want about people like Rodigan, Westwood, Charlie Sloth and Logan Sama existing, but these white people are helping black music, that hasn't been watered down to mainstream acceptance, be pushed to white audiences so that these artists can possibly have some success without selling out.

:!:

However the last two lines conflict.

Stacks is the same man that will probably make excuses as to why he's getting nowhere in life, blaming the system and the white man holding him back. 8-)

If another man, a white man, wants to embrace OUR culture, why complain?

/

As for him becoming a Reggae DJ, so what? His face 'fits'. You'll understand that with maturity and experience of the real world. We are referred to as a 'minority'. Certain people, 'fit' with what they're trying to sell. To be honest, nothing pisses me off more than listening to a dancehall show and it's straight patwois hosting. That's why most the dancehall DJ's you'd suggest will never get anywhere near legal radio. But just like you said, it's only blacks listening and it's our music, yet this guy wants to know why it's on at graveyard time. 8-)

The way music has gone you shouldn't be surprised. It's all about where the money is and fitting in with what's current. He made a stand, yes, but now what?

Rodigan has taken a stand for the integrity, props to him for it. I have no issue with Rodigan, like I said. I salute him for it BUT there will be plenty of black DJs saying "what happen to Rodigan, him stupid?"

and this is my point, black music in this country. We call it black music but we have zero ownership over it and tbh nobody really cares about its integrity.

At top level corporate world, thats no surprise at all.

But the worrying thing is nobody is even trying...

Like the A&Rs I see get into the game who found there own act, achieved some success, established some power off it, and then sprint to become sellouts signing pop acts.

The DJs the same, they turn up, play the playlist and only dare deviate from it for that brown paper bag money or in seek of it.

NOW...

I have no issue with white people but the system stinks...

Westwood in his radio prime could do what he wanted, Charlie Sloth is probably the same.

Adele, Amy Winehouse, etc... are allowed to make real music, whereas Lemar still pushing out Radio 2 anthems.

and this is an issue to me.

Bars.

f*ck him anyway . Don't know how we allowed him to be a reggae dj in the first place .

Lol

Wow, you don't have to be so hateful bro.

He likes reggae music and dedicated his life to it, that's not anything to hate on him for, hating the system is another matter.

i wouldn't say they're bars cos selling choice FM was like any business transaction

why should he take it upon himself as a community thing?

comet has closed down...is that seen as a white community transaction failure?

it wasnt set up as a community station...it was playing Popular music

this whole notion of non black support of music genres is also a myth re inforced by ignorance, what Genre of music hasnt suffered due to piracy?

if you were talking about Jazz i could agree with you, but i dont even know jack about jazz to claim black pple dont support it

however, when it comes to the BBC or other mainstream media and the faces that front the music its right to question why ABC are always pushed

and those white people are not Helping black music.... they are helping the music industry

i actually like the guy tbh

anyone pushing a good thing and taking a stand should be applauded

but cotdamm why is he the only one thats been doing that all these years?

wheres the new generation...

You've got The Heatwave pushing dancehall amoung rave heads. Like you'll see them next to big dub step and garage names.

But yeah, there's not many. Neither are there many in hip hop. Have loads in garage and grime though, but you'd probably not call that "black music" so much nowadays.