Di african continent topic

stacksbranning

• 2 weeks later...

Exile in Pyongyang: Daughter of African dictator tells of life growing up in the world's most secretive country and where its founding leader Kim Il-sung would nag her like a 'typical Korean grandfather'
Monique Macias was packed off to North Korea with her siblings in the 1970s when her father was executed
The former leader of Equatorial Guinea struck a deal with Pyongyang to take his children shortly before his death
Monique's schooldays consisted of firing Kalashnikovs and completing survival courses and military drills
Now in her 40s, Ms Macias has just published her memoirs of North Korea, 'I'm Monique, from Pyongyang'
By STUART WOLEDGE

New memoirs by an African woman that document her bizarre childhood living in exile in the secretive state of North Korea could shed new light on the totalitarian regime.

Monique Macias spent 15 years living in the capital Pyongyang, where her school days consisted of firing Kalashnikov rifles at the same prestigious military academy that heir apparent Kim Jong-il was educated.

Now in her 40s, Ms Macias said: 'All my childhood memories start from when I arrived on that plane in Pyongyang.

article-2442059-1876C77B00000578-260_968
Schooldays: Monique Macias (left) poses with the headteacher of the Mangyongdae Revolutionary School after target practice on a camping trip in 1985

article-2442059-1876C6F500000578-953_970
Bizarre childhood: Monique Macias (right) shares a toast with North Korean founder Kim Il-Sung's second wife, Kim Sung-Ae (left) in 1978

article-2442059-1876C80C00000578-395_970
Classmates: Monique (fifth from the left) poses with fellow pupils of the Mangyongdae Revolutionary school during her primary school graduation in 1981

article-2442059-1876C7BA00000578-122_972
Capital: Monique Macias stands in front of a propaganda sign reading 'Friendship' on the Pyongyang-Nampho highway near her Pyongyang school in 1982

'I know how Koreans think and how to talk to them because they taught me. They made me.'

Her memoirs 'I'm Monique, From Pyongyang' are written in Korean.

The youngest child of Francisco Macias Nguema, whose reign in Equatorial Guinea ended with his trial and execution in the late 1970s, the book charts her arrival and upbringing in the communist state.

Shortly before his death, and with few friends left, Macias Nguema turned to North Korea for help and sent his wife and children to Pyongyang, where they would spend the next 15 years.

The relationship between the two fringe states was not unusual in the Cold War tension of the time.

North Korea strived to build ties with smaller nations stuck on the periphery of the splits that pitted the United States and its allies against the Soviet Union, China and other communist countries.

Being one of very few black people in Pyongyang and living in a strange country taught Ms Macias to see the world differently.
article-2442059-1876C72800000578-385_970
Exile: Monique, her brother Francisco (second row, third from left) and sister arrived in North Korea in the 1970s, shortly before their father was executed

article-2442059-1876C72200000578-306_972
Military operation: Monique Macias (left) stands in front of the Mangyongdae Revolutionary School with her elder sister Maribelle (centre) and brother Fransico (right) during their first year at school in 1989

• Upvote 1

Gambia Pulls Out of British Commonwealth

BANJUL (AFP) – The Gambian government announced Wednesday that the former British colony is pulling out of the Commonwealth with immediate effect, saying it would “never be a member of any neo-colonial institution”.
“The general public is hereby informed that the government of the Gambia has left the Commonwealth of Nations with immediate effect,” it said in a statement.

“(The) government has withdrawn its membership of the British Commonwealth and decided that the Gambia will never be a member of any neo-colonial institution and will never be a party to any institution that represents an extension of colonialism.”

The Commonwealth bloc is a voluntary association of more than 50 countries, many of them former territories of the British empire.
No further details were given but a foreign ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, told AFP that
the decision came after the government rejected a proposal by the Commonwealth last year to create commissions in Banjul to protect human rights, media rights and fight against corruption.
The proposal followed an April 2012 visit to the Gambia by Commonwealth Secretary General Kamalesh Sharma, during which he met with President Yahya Jammeh and other top government officials.

Jammeh, who is regularly accused of rights abuses, has ruled mainland Africa’s smallest country with an aura of mysticism and an iron fist since seizing power in 1994.

Earlier this year, the Gambia was singled out for its poor rights record in Britain’s annual Human Rights and Democracy report, which cited cases of unlawful detentions, illegal closures of newspapers and radio stations and discrimination against minority groups.

A spokesman at the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said early Thursday: “We would very much regret Gambia, or any other country, deciding to leave the Commonwealth.”
He noted however that “decisions on Commonwealth membership are a matter for each member government”.

The Gambia is a tiny sliver of land wedged into Senegal. It suffers from widespread poverty but its miles of palm-fringed beaches are a favourite among sun-seeking European tourists.

The west African anglophone nation, the smallest on the mainland, has long been dogged by rights concerns under Jammeh’s administration.
Jammeh, who seized power in a 1994 coup, brooks no criticism. He has been re-elected to power three times.

The man who
claims he can cure AIDS and other illnesses is often pilloried for rights abuses and the muzzling of journalists.
In 2010, the EU, the country’s top aid donor, cancelled 22 million euros ($30 million) in budget support for Banjul because of concerns over human rights and governance.

In August 2012, Jammeh came under attack from Amnesty International and others for sending nine prisoners to the firing squad and promising many more would go the same way.

Many top officials have found themselves charged with treason, often related to coup plots which observers have said are a sign of paranoia by Jammeh, who has woven an aura of mysticism around himself, dressing in billowing white robes and always clutching his Koran.
Last year he warned foreign diplomats that his country would not be “bribed” with aid to accept homosexuality.

“If you are to give us aid for men and men or for women and women to marry, leave it. We don’t need your aid because as far as I am the president of the Gambia, you will never see that happen in this country,” he said.
In January this year Jammeh accused the European Union of trying to destablise Gambia, after the EU set out a 17-point checklist of demands for reforms.

They included calls for Gambia to abolish the death penalty and to re-open newspapers and radio stations closed down by the authorities.
The president regularly insists that he will not bow to external pressures for reform.

Miss World 2013: Meet The Young Ladies Who Will Be Representing Africa

Miss World 2013 will be taking place on September 28th 2013 in Bali, Indonesia. Meet the beautiful young ladies who will be representing the Africa:

Botswana
Rosemary Keofitlhets
Bostwana.jpg

Cameroon
Denise Valerie Ayena
Cameroon.jpg

Ivory Coast
Aïssata Dia
Ivory-Coast.jpg

Equatorial Guinea
Restituta Mifumu Nguema
E.-Guinea.jpg

Ethiopia
Genet Tsegay Tesfay
Ethiopia.jpg

Gabon
Brounilla Moussadingou
Gabon.jpg

Ghana
Carranzar Naa Okailey Shooter
Ghana.jpg

Namibia
Paulina Malulu
Namibia.jpg

Nigeria
Anna Banner
Nigeria.jpg

enhanced-buzz-31621-1382045885-19.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23603-1382045880-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-31083-1382045891-16.jpg

Throughout my formal education from elementary up through college I never heard tale of African deities. A little over a month ago I began to research online to find information in regards to the gods & goddesses of Africa. To my surprise there were many, however the ones that stood out the most were the deities of Nigeria and Benin, West Africa which they referred to as Orishas.

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be. […] each Orisha’s name is written in the Yoruba dialect and captures imagery of powerful men, women & children of various complexions who are all of African descent.

Some nice art work here. 

see more 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/these-african-deities-are-the-best-gods-youve-never-heard-of

• Upvote 3

post_old.gif Zimbabwe to open a 'blacks only' stock exchange
Zimbabwe to open a 'blacks only' stock exchange
Zimbabwe's regime has promised to open a new and racially exclusive stock exchange, allowing blacks alone to trade sharesarrow-10x10.png seized from foreign companies.

zimbabwe-stock_2637110b.jpg

The plan to grab mining companies, most of which are South African-owned, follows President Robert Mugabe's landslide re-election last week.
Saviour Kasukawere, the 'indigenisation' minister, said on Tuesday that the government or black Zimbabweans would take 51 per cent of the shares in all major foreign-owned companies, valued at about £4.8 billion. No compensation will be paid.

The regime wants to control mining companies and in particular Zimplats, a major platinum producer which is largely owned by South Africa's Impala Platinum Holdings.

Mr Kasukawere said that mining companies which do not "cede" 51 per cent of their shares to black Zimbabweans or the state would risk losing their operating licenses.
He said the value of the natural resources or underground metals extracted by the companies were sufficient to pay for majority shareholdings.

"When it comes to natural resources, Zimbabwe will not pay for her resources," said Mr Kasukuwere in an interview with Bloomberg, a news agency.
Psychology Maziwisa, spokesman for the ruling Zanu-PF party, confirmed that Mr Kasukawere's remarks were official policy. "All of this is correct. Its what we told voters we will do," he said.

John Robertson, an independent economist in Harare, said: "There is no logic in that plan. He is in danger of introducing economic apartheid which is absurd."
Mr Robertson added: "I think this is only politicking and there is no substance to this."

Metals and minerals, including platinum and gold, accounted for 71 per cent, or £480 million, of Zimbabwe's total exports last year.
South Africa has a bilateral trade and protection agreement with Zimbabwe. If the regime presses ahead and seizes a controlling stake in South African mining companies, they could use these agreements to secure compensation or the return of assets via international courts.

Whether Mr Mugabe's regime would respect any such rulings is another
questionarrow-10x10.png.
Mr Mugabe seized almost all of Zimbabwe's white-owned farms, often in defiance of court orders, and without compensation

enhanced-buzz-31621-1382045885-19.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23603-1382045880-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-31083-1382045891-16.jpg

Throughout my formal education from elementary up through college I never heard tale of African deities. A little over a month ago I began to research online to find information in regards to the gods & goddesses of Africa. To my surprise there were many, however the ones that stood out the most were the deities of Nigeria and Benin, West Africa which they referred to as Orishas.

I wanted to portray the regal beauty of each Orisha while also representing their majestic sensuality. Each iconic depiction was rendered to lend strength to our resilience as a great race of people and to show our youth that they are beautiful, bold and brilliant just they way God created them to be. […] each Orisha’s name is written in the Yoruba dialect and captures imagery of powerful men, women & children of various complexions who are all of African descent.

Some nice art work here. 

see more 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/these-african-deities-are-the-best-gods-youve-never-heard-of

Thanks for this .