Jay Z - New Tidal Music streaming Service

Afroman

Spotify has 15 million paying subscribers and still barely scrapes a profit at just 30% cut of revenues.

Why would anyone want to invest in a business that won't pay out?

I mean even if artists were getting payed 2x times what they are currently on Spotify, they wouldn't be satisfied. The most they could in theory get is 1.4x  (which would be 100% of revenues) - I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be satisfied with that.

Streaming services that make money through such a low subscription fee aren't a model for sustainable profit for artists. Just look at reported profits for Kendrick's album

How much is that worth? A Spotify representative confirmed that the 9.6 million represents any stream from the record, meaning Lamar's new long-player brought in about $44,160 in a single day globally, according to Billboard estimates.

So that's about 1 million streams per month to have an okay job's earnings right? And who's gonna guarantee that?

Paying artists a little more isn't the answer to the problem.

no.

• Upvote 1

I cant get down with all these greedy artists who got more then enough wealth wanting even more and it all seems pretentious

what do you mean greedy artist their wealth stems from consenting transactions for their art.

Maybe they are tired of spotify taking a huge slice of their profits.

Spotify take the same cut that iTunes take (30%). They're just upset 'cause its a small pie that's being cut.

Spotify hasn't stolen from them, its produced revenue from what used to be piracy or just simply non-buying, sure some of it may have taken from the buying, but that easily could have been people who would be lost to the aforementioned anyway.

c/s that ad just seems completely pretentious

musicians won't revolutionise the technology we use, same way Kanye won't revolutionise the clothes we wear

now imagine nba players did the same infact everyone that is an artist, athlete or entertainer. 

long are the days when we have to have random old white men in sitting in some big building playing god over the entertainment industry. 

everyone should be their own boss and interact with their consumer/fans directly.

You think Spotify is random old white men? No, those are the major label owners that all these artists in the video are happy to be signed to.

I mean I'm happy to hear about more competition but demonising the innovators is not the way to move things forward.

I mean Apple is making most of the profit for these artists, why are they not setting up a real rival music store?

Surely a larger slice of the biggest piece of food makes sense, no?

I'm sure a large amount of people who buy music these days do so because they want the artists to be paid (because if they wanted they could really get it free elsewhere), surely there's an appeal to buy from a provider who gives the artists a larger cut.

• Upvote 1

You think Spotify is random old white men? No, those are the major label owners that all these artists in the video are happy to be signed to.

I mean I'm happy to hear about more competition but demonising the innovators is not the way to move things forward.

I mean Apple is making most of the profit for these artists, why are they not setting up a real rival music store?

Surely a larger slice of the biggest piece of food makes sense, no?

I'm sure a large amount of people who buy music these days do so because they want the artists to be paid (because if they wanted they could really get it free elsewhere), surely there's an appeal to buy from a provider who gives the artists a larger cut.

am not demonising anyone i'm just saying in there is not much need for them in this current social network.

Thats probably the next agenda.

i'm pretty sure they would rather cut the middleman out of transactions.

Why are you against a more intimate artist consumer/fan relationship?

I didn't mean you in particular (demonising them), but artists (and fans) are attacking Spotify as if its the cause of a problem. I disagree there's no need for them (innovators in general) - I think the fact that Spotify has grown so much serves testament to this. Artists need a platform, the majority of times they don't provide this themselves.

I'm not against an intimate artist-fan relationship, I simply don't think that's what this (Tidal) is, especially when all of the people featured in promotion are top-tier a-list major label artists. I've been an advocate for Bandcamp since I heard of it, you serve customers with a more customised experience with the opportunity to buy your digital music in any format you want (WAV, FLAC, AAC, 320MP3), as well as sell physical products, and the store gets lower cuts (10-15% instead of the 30% iTunes get).

I'm just expressing in a) defence of technical and business innovators (a la Spotify) and b ) skepticism for this service which is promoting with the idea of servicing artists better.

long are the days when we have to have random old white men in sitting in some big building playing god over the entertainment industry

Jay is doing exactly the same but because he is black its ok :/

Actually it's even worse as he just making his music buddies even richer when these so call White men who you hate gave artists opportunities

All I see Jay doing is feeding guys who got too much money already and making sure he makes even more then what he needs

long are the days when we have to have random old white men in sitting in some big building playing god over the entertainment industry

Actually it's even worse as he just making his music buddies even richer when these so call White men who you hate gave artists opportunities

All I see Jay doing is feeding guys who got too much money already and making sure he makes even more then what he needs

I said old white men to shine a light on how the profiteers of urban artistry usually have nothing to do with the culture.

The most important context here is that jayz has been/is an artist.

So let me get this straight you are in favour of corporations owning artists profits over artist owning artists profits?

Are you a communist bro?

I said old white men to shine a light on how the profiteers of urban artistry usually have nothing to do with the culture.

So let me get this straight you are in favour of corporations owning artists profits over artist owning artists profits?

Are you a communist bro?

Your making it a race issue

So if a black person makes money and it has nothing to do with there culture then that makes it wrong and they should not be allowed to earn that money

So you hate old white men

Are you a racist?

Are you a communist bro?

So if a black person makes money and it has nothing to do with there culture then that makes it wrong and they should not be allowed to earn that money

Are you a racist?

nah thats your britains first, edl. ukip, great wall of britain, white genocide fear complex kicking in.

its not that deep.

Are you a communist bro?

Are you a racist?

nah thats your britains first, edl. ukip, great wall of britain, white genocide fear complex kicking in.

its not that deep.

It seems pretty deep to you that you fear old white men

Any race can be proud of there culture/heritage but it's wrong if it's white people init