Lil Wayne - Carter III - 9th June - Anticipation Thread

Numero001

Lil Wayne is easily the most hyped artist in the music industry over the past couple of years. The Carter III is, without a doubt, the most anticipated album of the year. Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's dissect The Carter III without an extensive character analysis of Lil Wayne. We all know his behavior is equal to that of a bonafide rock star – whether we like it or not. And whether you like him or not, everyone is curious what Lil Wayne can do for a wheezing Hip Hop industry on The Carter III.This review isn't about Lil Wayne's antics. Nor is it about who he is as a person. This is about the immensely anticipated album that is The Carter III. As with everything Weezy F Baby does, this album will be just as talked about as his Styrofoam cup toting, rock star image. The Carter III encompasses it all: The good, the bad and definitely the ugly.There are those that perceive Wayne as the new "greatest rapper alive" because of his numerous guest appearances and his progression from Hot Boy to sizzling emcee. There are others who simply aren't too sure that the hype is well deserved. The Carter III speaks to both critics and fans loud and clear.There are moments that Lil Wayne puts together that simply electrify. The David Axelrod sampling on "Dr. Carter" is Weezy at his finest. He crafts a luminous concept of utilizing his rhymes to breathe life into a culture on life support. Too many quotable moments to cite here, but just know that Wayne accelerates through the Swizz Beatz offering as if not only his life, but the existence of Hip Hop culture, depended on it. As "Lollipop" became the questionable lead single, it is hard to believe that there is a more radio friendly offering than the collaborative effort featuring Babyface with Kanye West behind the boards on "Comfortable." As Babyface careens in and out of Mr. West's soulful offering, Wayne pulls off an easy to digest joint. The brooding guitar plucks and marching drums of "Shoot Me Down" pull off an intense musical atmosphere. Wayne does the song justice by not overpowering the production and instead allowing it to build momentum as he creeps through with lines like: "Pop I did it to 'em/I'm a bastard/and I'm a do it again like nigga backwards/cause these niggas backwards/but behind us/Now watch me get high like time's up." Unfortunately, all is not well in Wayne's world. What is truly unfortunate is how "Mr. Carter" underwhelms. The Lil Wayne/Jay-Z collaboration looks too good to be true on paper – and unfortunately it is. Both Wayne and Jay give solid performances, but neither take it to that next level as many would expect. One would also assume that T-Pain hopping aboard "Got Money" would equal instant success. That certainly is not the case. Both have put on stellar guest offerings in the past but don't seem to mesh well over the Play-n-Skillz production. Elsewhere, Kanye West and Deezle serve up a three course platter of beat building ready to be torn to shreds on "Let The Beat Build" but Wayne just doesn't seem to have the appetite to eat this track alive. The album also gets lost in Wayne's spewing of gibberish throughout. On many of the songs Wayne bounds about aimlessly as he seems content with putting words together for the sake of putting them together. "Playing With Fire" finds Wayne all over the place lyrically and upon further inspection his rhymes don't make too much sense and it becomes easy to believe that he doesn't write any of his lyrics down. For further evidence of the often confusing ramblings, the sprawling (and aptly titled) "Don'tGetIt" flounders around for just under ten minutes and will leave even the biggest Weezy pole jockey dozing off during his misdirected rants and long winded clowning of Al Sharpton. Of all the "WTF" moments on the album, "Mrs. Officer" is the definitive head scratcher as Wayne discusses sexing down female police officers. An awkward moment indeed. What makes "Mrs. Officer" a humongous flagrant foul is Bobby Valentino's mimicking of a police siren on the uninspiring hook. His claims of being a Martian on "Phone Home" aren't too far fetched, but the hook borders on becoming a bit strange. The claims of being "rare like Mr. Clean with hair" are clever, but the spaced out production of Cool & Dre, coupled with the awkward sci-fi hook, can be a bit much on the senses. But with pulse pounding moments like "A Milli" pounced and ripped to shreds by Weezy, all is not lost on The Carter III. The expectations may have been set too high for Wayne as he too seems to have become lost in his own intoxicating cloud of hype. The blame could partially be put on the fans for magnifying the concept that Wayne can do no wrong because they salivate to fill the void that Jay-Z has left in the game. There is no doubt that Dwayne Carter is a talented artist who has the potential to become a king amongst peasants in the industry. But like Kobe Bryant, Vince Carter, Anfernee Hardaway and Grant Hill early in their careers, a premature crowning of being the next #23 can be equally damaging as it can be inspiring to a young career. The Carter III is flashes of brilliance surrounded by a number of rookie mistakes made by a young veteran of the game. Let's see what Wayne does when stuck under the microscope of criticism and continuous comparisons to the greatest artists of our time from here on out.
Quite an accurate review IMO, they gave it 3.5*

lol @ the people who still think this is better than C2can spot the new wayne fans from a distancetbh the only 'carter like' tunes on c3 are La La, and Mrs. Officer, which is probably while i like them so much, dont know why Wayne changed a winning formula, dr. carter, shoot me down, mr. cater etc are still good, dont get me wrong.. but this has nothing on c2A Milli (C3) <<<< Oh No (C2) both exactly the same ideas of him just 'beasting' out on a tune, when you listen to the lyrics there is only one winner.i could go on foreverbut i wont

lol @ the people who still think this is better than C2can spot the new wayne fans from a distancetbh the only 'carter like' tunes on c3 are La La, and Mrs. Officer, which is probably while i like them so much, dont know why Wayne changed a winning formula, dr. carter, shoot me down, mr. cater etc are still good, dont get me wrong.. but this has nothing on c2A Milli (C3) <<<< Oh No (C2) both exactly the same ideas of him just 'beasting' out on a tune, when you listen to the lyrics there is only one winner.i could go on foreverbut i wont
i here what you're saying, but as a fan i reckon u should respect his choices, cos personally, i think if it'd gone any other way it woulda not been pretty, on a mainstream scale

Youre right about the new Wayne fans. Although I hear what your saying, bearing in mind I was only a Wayne fan from Go DJ, I appreciated those songs you mentioned as changing the formula more than the ones you called C2 sounding. Displays maturity but lacks entertainment value. I think Wayne wanted to show he could spit and be serious but lacked the comedy to me, plus when he spazzed out it seemed more controlled.We have to remember though, this got bootlegged a few times. Had 'Gossip' been on this, this woulda sell awf 'cause '*suttin suttin* On Fire' didnt cut it as a replacement. He put 'Comfortable' in there so f*ck the fact it was on The Leak, that was digital only. 'I'm Me' on there instead of 'La, La' chopped off a couple tunes and bang, 5 mic album

hmmm, nar, wayne didnt wanna show sh*t, he would say he has shown maturtiy, concepts and all that on all hes previous albums..when the 1st version of the carter got leaked with I Feel Like Dying, Im A Beast, Something You Forgot on, that was still sounding like a Carter Album, and even with The Leak with the newer tunes such as Im Me and Love Me Or Hate Me still had the Carter sounding tunes aswell.later on im gonna put up a 17 track list of wayne tunes that he released or wrote this & last year that could of gone on C3, and made it a classic. Shame really

Guest Trixstar
TRUE f*ckIN STORIESbut the fing is c2 got sme fuked up tracks dat some ppl didnt even like(skippin,skippin tracks) and in c3 you can actually listen what he says in tracks such as mr carter etc.good tracks tbh...but oh wel every1 got different taste init

A lot of people out there jump to conclusions and assume that Lil’ Wayne is only about money, bitches, drugs, and Evisu®…and they’re right, but I gotta say, Tha Carter II is hot.Rather than waste time tackling tough introspective topics, Wayne keeps it simple. The Carter II is being billed as Lil’ Wayne’s grown up album, a disc where we get to see growth from the former Hot Boys. I didn’t hear growth, but I did hear more of the potential that folks have been saying he’s had since 1999’s Tha Block is Hot.On Money on My Mind we get the arrogance we’ve grown to love, with Lil’ Wayne riding bass heavy percussion while preaching the importance of the almighty dollar. And don’t worry, there’s plenty of sex, guns, bragging, and comedy to satisfy even the most conservative rap purist.The good news is that for all you Lil’ Wayne fans out there who have been waiting to hear him on something other than a typical Mannie Fresh beat, the wait is over. The self-proclaimed Birdman Jr. shines on Mo Fire, a West Indies inspired track, and even diversifies to include some west coast flavor with none other than Kurupt on Lock and Load. Mannie Fresh and the Doe Boys lend production assistance on the album, which also features guest appearances from Fresh and Cash Money staples Baby and Lil` Mo, among others. The flow that made the youngest Cash Money Millionaire a millionaire is there. The brash yet playful arrogance is there too. But three things make this Carter an instant classic.First, he specifically addresses the common view that southern artists don’t know sh*t about lyricism. On Shooter (a great ballad track that’s easy listening and slightly funky) he politely ends all debate: And to the radio stations, I’m tired of being patient/ Stop being rapper-racist/ Region haters; spectators, d*ck-taters, behind doors d*ck takers/ It’s outrageous/ You don’t know how sick you make us/ I wanna throw up like chips in Vegas. But this is southern, face it:/ If we too simple, then ya’ll don’t get the basics.Second, he obviously senses something bigger than rhyming. For example, he somehow simultaneously capitalizes on the experience his nine year (5 album) rap career and his never-ending youthful swagger. Put it like this: dude’s got a track called Best Rapper Alive and he’s not referring to Jigga. Now that’s pretty bold. The amazing thing is that even if you don’t quite believe him, you root for him.Finally, he somehow takes his recently devastated homeland New Orleans and reps harder than ever, without coming off as corny or commercial for one second. His signature flow complements most of the tracks, and the clever lyrics are sure to keep your rewind button employed. For instance I’ll bet you didn’t hear him on Tha Mobb when he said: I’m awkward like Cartwright, f*ck with a nigga… Shot ugly but my arch right, (c’mon dog- bark, bite). Or on the title track when he said: Naw, I ain’t even in the school yearbook/ I don’t do too much posing; got a cold killer look/ Career crook, get your career took/ I’m back like a brassiere hook.Honestly, the biggest reason Tha Carter II could be considered a classic is because words just don’t do it justice. Like how he claims to be the best but doesn’t seem preoccupied with proving it. It’s like he just knows it, and if you don’t, that’s your ignorance. Or how the album is clearly formulaic; complete with club songs (Fireman), radio songs (Hustler Musik), and even chick songs (Grown Man), but still sounds seamless. And of course there’s bar after bar that just make you squint your eyes and make the “that was ridiculous” face.You might say Weezy F.Baby is at his best. You might even say that he is the best. But whatever you do, please say the Baby.
Review of Carter 2, got 4*

how come no one compaires the CARTER in this? jus c2 and c3 carter had wayne on some crazy sh*t. man had that hunger. carter one can get a play start to finish. carter 2 had couple skippable tracks though it could be played start to finish still
IMO Carter is the worst of the trilogy. Was dated and regional. Shoulda stayed in 99. Although the bars were cool, Mannie Fresh needed to realise the days of him doing a whole album was gone.The bars, beats, tunes and everything was upped on C2. Hunger was still there. I would get to 1/4 way through Carter and switch it off 'cause it didnt grab me. 'Miss My Dawgs' was cringe factor 50 as well.

mannie didnt do all of the carter. carter was best to me cos it was that 'original cash money feel', that i was used to i guess. miss my dawgs was big cos of the story, cos of being a fan and seein the break up happen over tunes and time, then him calling them out with that song, kinda gave a little hope that they was gonna hear it and come back, then when he did that on stage and performed bg's verse to bg. and they hugged , it was like YES, hot boys back!! (even tho it didnt happen)carter 2, yeah production changed up, he kinda thought outside the box and was looking to appeal to others on the cd. which worked and got a lot of peoples attention (the hype he got right now, came after c2) but all and all i can bang tha carter start to finish and feel happy after hearing the whole cd. but i can also see and know why carter 2 will get looked on as a better cd.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vide...LBbWG0CTq5KOnhCPart 1 interview on 106 & Park. Has the game on lock. Chats an immense amount of sh*t but he doesnt par them off like he parred Westwood. Mans got good character for the homes and more likeable than most rappers, stillhttp://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/vide...AS8jZD4eKa6qtCRPart 2 freestyle. An actual freestyle, accapella. Lol @ the crowd hyping like he dissed the DJ. Couple good punches still but real short. LOL @ his crusty singing voice sounding like real life autotunep.s. Does Weezy F. make the best chick songs in the game? I think theres a strong shout

wayne doesnt chat sh*t still, unless hes mad high. and even when he is he is still talking sensehe is mad smart
He is smarter than I thought you know. Even when I listen back to Carter 2 I spot lyrics/meanings I didnt even know were there before. He's deffo smarter than Backpackers give
i have to admit it did look a bit more 'together' for that appearance, and although the freestyle was short, it was much better than u thought it was gonna be IMO
c/s