Academic Thread

Yoshie

Basically me and my boys (mostly the 'sensible by default' one) were looking to move into a student heavy zone, four bedroom, in the middle of town. Then his chick and her friend had a little mix up tiff whatever you wanna call it with their circle and ended up with nowhere to live, so he said they can hop on board, I didn't oppose, they're cool so it's whatever right? But the rent has jumped so drastically for a 6 bedroom, and we're living on the outskirts of town now so far removed from anything of interest apart from the marginalized cambridge underworld..

Talking to everyone else just shows me how much of a bump the price is. It's gonna slaughter my student loan with the first two rent payments. If next year some agreeable fellow worms his way into our friendship circle I'm just gonna offer up my room and look for a studio flat or something.

erm

couldnt he share a room with his girl? or is that too much?

is it just her thats got nowhere to live or her and a few friends?

Got basically 61 in everything. Knew I'd either get high 2:2 or a low 2:1 so badsically gettin the lowest of the 2:1s is quite pleasing.

Disappointing none of my mates were on going out tonight. I'm in a celebrating mood . Kinda tired from work placement this week tho so tomo will be the day

• Upvote 2

On the opposite end of the spectrum it seems I've failed first year. I'm talented but lazy and I knew academia wasn't for me. TBH I only really went uni to get away from my unbearable marge, still I've made good friends and legitimately enjoyed my course.

I'm mounting an appeal whilst looking at a transfer / restarting at Goldsmiths. Or maybe I should wait till January and do another course at Ruskin, dunno yet.

Cambridge is a lovely city I'll say that much.

• Upvote 1

I was gutted when one of my friends didn't make it to next year. Probably the main reason I started drifting away from that social circle.

Also found out after 2 terms as well that my mate from home didn't get through first year either and had just stuck around the city to work, he's going to a different uni in September and I'm pissed 'cause he was like my main connect to the alternative music circle (and one of my best friends). But such is life.

Keep your head up man. Hopefully you get that repeat year. I personally wouldn't continue at another university considering fees but that's me and I don't have a direct enough path to be able to say 27k on tuition fees is a good investment in me.

my boy failed his 2nd year at LSE- no retakes, gotta redo the whole of the year. Can't imagine how gutting it feels.

/

My other boy has just come back to ends after a few years, no A-Levels is this access to HE thing the best way for him to get onto an International relations uni course?

Will he only get into some sheg uni?

My other boy has just come back to ends after a few years, no A-Levels is this access to HE thing the best way for him to get onto an International relations uni course?

Will he only get into some sheg uni?

different uni's have different policies for mature students. Some may require a maths/english test. Others might require ab interview. Then theres the access route and also foundation programs. Literally the best thing he can do is ring up each international relations/politics dept for whatever uni's he wants to go and speak to their relevent course leaders directly.. Id be adamant about speaking to someone like a lecturer or a specific person in charge of admin in THAT dept and not an office monkey cos they wont be able to pull strings and will probably just fob you off

• 2 weeks later...