Academic Thread

Yoshie

Ernst and Young it is, even though they supposedly pay the least out of the top 4 service firms.

Foot in the f*ck*ng door ladies and gents.

Helps that the cost of living in Manchester is negligible. Deloitte always want that London movement.

Brother works there iirc

Sick. I didn't mind the atmosphere much, seemed quite relaxed. Not sure if that was because I was looking in from the outside, but apparently there's a lot of movement between UK, USA, London and stuff in terms of projects. What's your brother do?

Ernst and Young it is, even though they supposedly pay the least out of the top 4 service firms.

Helps that the cost of living in Manchester is negligible. Deloitte always want that London movement.

well done. what service line you working for?

ernst and young rejected me for an internship.

Someone give me some advice please.

Right now I'm doing some work that pays well, but no prospects. It could also be finished next week or next year. So it's not very secure either. I want to work at this place and stack as much as possible to go back to uni and get a masters. I got a decent degree (high 2:1, 1st dissertation) so securing a place in a masters course accepting students from other disciplines shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I want to study something that's going to actually give me a solid skill. At first I wanted to do Software programming but from friends in IT, it doesn't seem like a smart move right now. Then I thought about accountancy/finance, and after a brief look it seems decent. As you can probably tell I really have no idea where to turn, truth is I just want to bang out a solid masters course and get to stepping on a career ladder finally.

Any advice?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Drank from 11am through to 3am, felt it the next afternoon

Bar One Christmas day?

Trust brother I had to queue over an hour cos I got there just at the wrong time. Massively played catch up and then don't remember any of my night from after eating KFC at 8pm

Yeah, got there with no queue, bopped in, when I came out around 4ish queue was huge.

f*cked me the most trying to fit in as many double pints for £2.50 before 12.

Tax, basically applied for that because I didn't wanna get involved with all that Audit, but from what they're saying I might be stuck on that A LOT of the time.

Should be a good experience overall though.

They're not taking many people on for anything bro, don't worry about it

E&Y are in trouble:

They took on less than half the amount of graduates as the rest of the Big 3

The rest of the Big 3 all recently announced profits for 2009/10, E&Y declined to disclose figures

They're being sued by Lehman brothers for using illegal tax procedures to cover up Lehman's financial problems

They're not taking many people on for anything bro, don't worry about it

E&Y are in trouble:

They took on less than half the amount of graduates as the rest of the Big 3

The rest of the Big 3 all recently announced profits for 2009/10, E&Y declined to disclose figures

They're being sued by Lehman brothers for using illegal tax procedures to cover up Lehman's financial problems

Another Equitable life wannabe scandal. Firstly, EY isn't being sued by Lehman Brothers, it's a civil suit, being filed by Cuomo, the NY attorney general.

It's a bit sh*t to be honest because at the end of the day EY isn't directly or legally responsible for toxic debt held by Lehman. This Cuomo dude is a governmental candidate, no doubt he will put this on his manifesto 'I aggressively go after the big bad corporate baddies responsible for your poverty'.

It's pantomine, nothing will come of it, and normal service will resume. At worst, the EY brand will come under a bit of fire in the short term, damage will be extremely limited in the mid or long term.

---

Edit: Reading my response back to myself now, I sound like a massive robot douche haha, but seriously it's a nothing case.

Edit: Reading my response back to myself now, I sound like a massive robot douche haha, but seriously it's a nothing case.

Good spot. The fact you spotted it helps....most of them can't.

went to a first round interview at KPMG 9am in -3 degrees temperatures (just before it snowed on friday). parked my revision the day before and prepped....

found out yesterday that I passed the interview, got told i will be invited to an assesment centre soon. today get an email saying they have finished recruiting for 2010 in the division i applied and the only option i have is to defer my application to next year and start all over again.

FML

getting a good job seems extremely tough right now. i made like 30+ applications and most of them have turned into rejections.

its feels like i overestimated my employability, but if getting a masters level qualification from imperial aint good enough then i dont know what is. im not gonna do a phd and dont really want to do a masters in something else. all i can think of is aiming a bit lower in terms of applications but then it just feels like ive failed myself. internships seem like a massive employability boost, more so than i expected and im pissed of i didnt get one last year (made like 15 applications then aswell).

might just sod all of this and go into a business venture. would be a waste of time doing the degree but at least i wont have regrets and can say i tried that route. im gonna give it another year or 2 if i dont get a job this year, after that ill fully close the door on trying to work for someone. if the job i get isnt that great and the business seems better i may just quit after a year or 2 anyways. bit of experience in a field to fall back onto incase the business doesnt work out.

Guest M12 Part 2

getting a good job seems extremely tough right now. i made like 30+ applications and most of them have turned into rejections.

its feels like i overestimated my employability, but if getting a masters level qualification from imperial aint good enough then i dont know what is. im not gonna do a phd and dont really want to do a masters in something else. all i can think of is aiming a bit lower in terms of applications but then it just feels like ive failed myself. internships seem like a massive employability boost, more so than i expected and im pissed of i didnt get one last year (made like 15 applications then aswell).

might just sod all of this and go into a business venture. would be a waste of time doing the degree but at least i wont have regrets and can say i tried that route. im gonna give it another year or 2 if i dont get a job this year, after that ill fully close the door on trying to work for someone. if the job i get isnt that great and the business seems better i may just quit after a year or 2 anyways. bit of experience in a field to fall back onto incase the business doesnt work out.

keep applying and also do work experience,

safe. ye i did aeronautical engineering.

ive only applied to a few engineering jobs, mainly corporate finance and consultancy because those careers appeal to me more. its definately easier to get an engineering job but that doesnt mean its easy. been to one interview for an engineering company and got a rejection. in all fairness it was a small firm but still.

will have to see how it pans out with the couple engineering companies i have left. i may end up gettin an offer from them which i will probably take if i have nothing better. but i cant see myself doing it for too long because the prospects (in terms of promotion time, salary range, etc) of engineering careers are pretty standard tbh. it might be great for an average person but considering the difficulty of the subject, the level of work i had to put in, my general ability/intelligence and coming from imperial, personally i dont feel it aligns with my potential. also ive got strong ambtions and i feel a career like that would stifle them.

theres other factors aswell; the fact that engineering work tends to be very structured and can get repititve.

safe. ye i did aeronautical engineering.

ive only applied to a few engineering jobs, mainly corporate finance and consultancy because those careers appeal to me more. its definately easier to get an engineering job but that doesnt mean its easy. been to one interview for an engineering company and got a rejection. in all fairness it was a small firm but still.

will have to see how it pans out with the couple engineering companies i have left. i may end up gettin an offer from them which i will probably take if i have nothing better. but i cant see myself doing it for too long because the prospects (in terms of promotion time, salary range, etc) of engineering careers are pretty standard tbh. it might be great for an average person but considering the difficulty of the subject, the level of work i had to put in, my general ability/intelligence and coming from imperial, personally i dont feel it aligns with my potential. also ive got strong ambtions and i feel a career like that would stifle them.

theres other factors aswell; the fact that engineering work tends to be very structured and can get repititve.

Try and get on IB for entry 2012. Been reading through and the salaries are obscene. £1k relocation bonus, £42k standard salary. Starter, and this is UBS.

Barcap (£45-50k) and Citibank pay so much it's disgusting.

Will be putting my head down and doing some hardcore work to get into IB in a year or 3 seriously. Fees are obscene.

---

As for the Aero engineering, I don't know how skilled you are at finance in general, the only advice I can give is focusing more on client relations while displaying 'sound' technical grasps of key financial concepts (Relating to IB: Never stop talking about financial positions/ratios/margins' they eat that sh*t up). I do Accounting and Finance, so vibing and discussing with the interviewers definitely comes easy and I genuinely feel or pretend like I'm speaking with a colleague casually. It's normally hard for people from other disciplines to vibe like that.

Had a girl from my assessment centre who did Geography at Nottingham, and boyyy, she was lost.

i did a finance module last year which was pretty extensive. it was only the one module so i suppose i just know the basics technically. im aware of what they like and how you have to act to show your level of interest.

IB pay is top notch and its got a solid career structure. the job security is doubtful, but if your good at your job then you will be makin loads of money. its what ive been applying to but its insanely competitive. the hours are pretty nuts but i reckon i can hack it because i can work pretty much late into the night whenever if it needed for work (do it all the time for cwk or exams). the lack of sleep is something im not sure on though, anything less that 5 hours and i will find my eyes shutting at some point the next day lol.

the only problem with i-banking though is it literally is like working 2 jobs and you lose your life basically. i suppose it comes down to the invidual and how much they value their free time. because theres so many hours you might not be gettin paid that much per hour if you actually work it out. but ye after a few years and some bonuses you would shoot way past any of your peers working elsewhere and at the same time work less hours the further your promoted. its not a 9-5 job though, its a 24 hour life.