Afro in the Workplace

Doug

mmm mmm

this is ur hair in its natural state tbh, people shouldnt be put off by it it, they might well be but they shouldnt be

i think about it with my locs, how some of the interviewees will respond to me, so far they have been pretty receptive, im sensitive to these particular things, if i sensed any form of intolerance to my natural appearance and i knew i was abiding by the stated dress code, i would not work there

lol @ cutting your hair off

next minute youre soft-shoe'ing in the office

talking bout "is this good enough for you massa"

:lol:

*looks at this thread, and looks at the weave thread*

Never mind.

don't shave your hair off for a job. Just shape it up and canerow it, and if it's long enough I think it would look alright a ponytail.

well ten years ago only the very gayest of hairdressers or deluded rednecks wud wear the kind of spiky half mohawk hairdo that most professional footballers and professionals wear nowadays

my advice wud be to offer them a frame of reference with which to take you ceriously,perhaps having a framed photo of warwick from csi on yr desk or wearing a tshirt of michael jacksons off the wall album cover on yr first day will help ppl acclimatize to yr situation

• Upvote 2

f*ck conforming to them standards, do what the f*ck you want, have your hair any way you like. How could a hairstyle possibly be unprofessional?

so i guess by ur logic he should turn up 2 his first day at work in a tracky and reebok classics then lad?

It woudnt bother me one bit, aslong as the job is getting done thats all that matters at the end of the day. Who makes these daft rules that deem certain clothes/hair styles acceptable?

Had a fro when I finished uni...

I did actually take care of mine. Leveled and no tangles.. It was hard to maintain tho. I had it as curly fro till i got a job then I let it out.

Work was quite cool with it. but I got the regular eye brows raised every now and again.. Mine was fulll!!!

I wouldn't really recommened it tho. Especially if you looked greezey by default..Then I had cainrow for a while as well. The two have a stigma to it tbh. I cut mine off eventually. I wanted a change

As for the' beard' am a bit 50/50 on that one. I think beards should be tolerated to an extent.