The England Football Team Thread

Black.

If England players were given even 5-8 seconds with the ball, no pressure, during the game they wouldn't have the SLIGHTEST f*cking idea what to do with it.

Nonsense.

Ok mate. :rolleyes:

If that was the case you should surely be watching the game seeing no conceivable way that they could score, are you going to tell me that today watching that game or against Slovenia you never felt that England could create a chance?

I'm sorry, but what on earth IS a typical English performance...? :/

A typical English performance doesn't usually include such basic defensive errors.

/

You're talking about wondering if certain dons watch the same games when on the previous page you're talking about including man like Walcott?

The manner in which England 'retain' the ball, is totally different to the manner the likes of Brazil, Spain, Holland, etc at their best. Know what, I'm using the wrong term here. England can't 'move' the ball well if that makes any sense. And the movement OFF the ball is a problem. Uruguay move the ball better than England. So do Mexico, USA, sh*t even Algeria. But they're NOT superior teams.

And yes, there is alot of stubborness. FACT, England as a footballing team do not want to get with the times. Hiring 2 continental coaches was a STEP, I can't dispute that, but there's a pressure (from whom exactly, it's hard to say) that KEEPS England stagnant. You highlighted it the best. Germany flop, they finetuned their whole style of football, from a youth level. 6 years. England flop, they think it's exclusively to a tournament, or a ref, or a coach. Hiring a new coach was a positive step, but it's deeper than that.

And again, I agreed with you. The elite English club team's approach to football should be the blueprint. But the foreigners playing for these teams bring another dimension to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & United. Dimensions that these English players don't possess. So what would be the logical thing to do? Study what foreign teams do well that England don't & implement i.e. what Germany did.

And in reference to what I said about defence, I was talking about defending as a unit. As a UNIT, they can't cope with teams that move the ball well. Dare I say it, teams like Brazil can defend better against teams like Germany IMO, even if man for man, their defenders aren't better than England's. I only mentioned Rio or King because alot of fans think he would've made THAT much of a difference. Which I doubt.

• Upvote 1

If there is anything positive that England fans can take from this game – and I have to say the list is looking a little on the short side – it is that this game could instigate a change in the way the team approaches future tournaments.

This group of players and this system have proved to be highly ineffective at the top level, physicality and “passion” have, as if it was any sort of surprise, been shown to be completely useless when up against teams that are simply technically better. England urgently need to discard their almost willful tactical luddism and become far more aware and intelligent on the field. If such an ethos cannot be ingrained in the current generation of players then the FA must make sure that the age group teams are schooled in a far more astute manner of playing if the country is to have any future success at the highest level.

As for Germany, Low’s gifted young side progress to the last eight, seemingly getting stronger as the tournament progresses and slowly establishing themselves as a real contender for the title. Their quarter-final clash with Diego Maradona’s Argentina at Green Point Stadium should be a game to relish.

Football Further blog.

#FORTHERECORD

When Arsene Wenger retires, some of you man will really know how much this man has done for English football.

In an ideal world, you'll have man like Gibbs, Lansbury & Wilshere starting for England in the future. LOL @ Theo Walcott. Fully not backing this yout.

/

Remove the conflicts of interest at the FA

The biggest problem facing English football is the amount of power wielded by the Premier League. It’s chairman, Sir David Richards, is not alone in also holding a senior position on the FA board. Major decisions are weighted in favour of the Prem rather than the national team.

Reform youth football

Is it healthy that the focus of youth football is to win matches to quench the thirst of blood-thirsty parents? The emphasis on results and XI-a-side games breeds simple, direct football with a neglect of technical skills and tactical intelligence.

When things go wrong for the England team, they have only these limited insufficient methods to fall back on, hence the apparent eagerness to resort to the aimless hoof. Which leads nicely into…

Encourage a continental style of football

This much is obvious: traditional English football is outdated. It does not win international football tournaments. Nowadays the game is all about versatile, roving forwards, wingers who cut inside and a patient, probing short passing game.

For England to be successful in future World Cups, our entire footballing ethos needs to change. We shall call this process “Arsene-ification”. To be successful in this, English football will have to…

Educate the fans

Have you listened to a 606 phone-in lately? Did you wonder where they find those people? Is Alan Shearer any better?

Hopefully your answers were “Only out of morbid curiosity”, “Yes” and “Not on your Nellie”.

When England have tried to patiently build from the back, they have often been jeered by their own fans, who would prefer to see a quick ball bounce off Emile Heskey and dribble to a defender.

This is the norm on an average Saturday of blood and thunder Premier League action. Try it against XI Germans, Spaniards, Brazilians or Argentines and you’ll quickly look like a numpty.

Get Burton sorted out

Italy has Coverciano, France has Clairefontaine, Argentina has the streets of Buenos Aires, England has…well, a field in the middle of Staffordshire with a fence around it.

The problem this leaves the FA is that coaching and, more crucially producing world class coaches, is a haphazard affair left mainly in the hands of clubs.

Improve English coaches and you improve English footballers.

• Upvote 3

some good points in here specially from MK

thinking wether its worth me writing up a long ting or just finding quotes from 07 when they failed for euros or 06 after the world cup

was talking to my cab driver i was taking the piss saying "we need more passion, needed to get crouchie up there and av a go" and how we need "arry to motivate them"

swear man couldnt c/s enough

lol @ the average england fan in this country

nothing will ever change

• Upvote 1

The manner in which England 'retain' the ball, is totally different to the manner the likes of Brazil, Spain, Holland, etc at their best. Know what, I'm using the wrong term here. England can't 'move' the ball well if that makes any sense. And the movement OFF the ball is a problem. Uruguay move the ball better than England. So do Mexico, USA, sh*t even Algeria. But they're NOT superior teams.

And yes, there is alot of stubborness. FACT, England as a footballing team do not want to get with the times. Hiring 2 continental coaches was a STEP, I can't dispute that, but there's a pressure (from whom exactly, it's hard to say) that KEEPS England stagnant. You highlighted it the best. Germany flop, they finetuned their whole style of football, from a youth level. 6 years. England flop, they think it's exclusively to a tournament, or a ref, or a coach. Hiring a new coach was a positive step, but it's deeper than that.

And again, I agreed with you. The elite English club team's approach to football should be the blueprint. But the foreigners playing for these teams bring another dimension to Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool & United. Dimensions that these English players don't possess. So what would be the logical thing to do? Study what foreign teams do well that England don't & implement i.e. what Germany did.

And in reference to what I said about defence, I was talking about defending as a unit. As a UNIT, they can't cope with teams that move the ball well. Dare I say it, teams like Brazil can defend better against teams like Germany IMO, even if man for man, their defenders aren't better than England's. I only mentioned Rio or King because alot of fans think he would've made THAT much of a difference. Which I doubt.

Yeah I know what you mean by moving the ball. The point about certain teams moving the ball better but not being better teams ties in with my original point, that too much emphasis is placed on what England don't do so well and not enough is placed on what they do well. Don't get me wrong I understand there's a need for England to add another dimension to their game but for the majority of the squad it's quite late in the day to try and revamp the way they naturally play. A more continental style of play is something we'll probably see the next generation of England players being more comfortable with, but for now I think it's best to focus on striking a balance between the two.

When you put it like that about the coach being cited as the reason for failure etc I agree with you to an extent but I also feel that there is a lot of emphasis (too much) being placed on conforming to the continental style, my only worry is that the media will start a campaign to get a passionate Englishman (Stuart Pearce) to instil some pride into the players who pull on the shirt blah blah blah.

I agree that Brazil defend better as a unit but the biggest reason for this is the protection of the back 4 provided by the 2 holding players which goes back to my point about England's inability to track midfield runners being their biggest weakness. I think playing Upson was a mistake and had Ferdinand or King played instead I think it would have made some difference.

Get Arry in

Crapello has cocked it up

England are not miles off tbh

USA: If Heskey scores = win, if Rooney & Heskey do betta movement for Lenonn's pull back = win, if Lampard connects properly with Lennon's pull back = win

Algeria: Gerrard shoot instead of pull back = woin, Lampard betta connection = win

Germany: = Lampards goal = 2-2 at half time and momentum with England

Little things didnt go their way, they dnt normally dominate possession or look brilliant but always look dangerous and they had Germany on the ropes seriously 2day

Also Ledley woudda sorted that out at the back, Rio woudda got run ragged thoe

I think we agree more or less to an extent generally speaking.

It's definitely a fine-tuning job, in the short-term sense. Long-term though, I'd love to see a revamp at grass-roots level.

/

The imminent xenophobia is deep. Andy Gray believes that man like Alan Shearer could've done a better job than Capello. Because he would 'understand' the players better. He cited Maradona as an example. Well, when you can leave the likes of Milito & Aguero on the bench, it's a different scenario isn't it. LOL

/

@Anelka, allow the shoulda, woulda, coulda talks fam. You know your football, I can tell. They're not far off, but they're far enough mate.

1 more point

Just listened 2 Harry saying we need 2 produce a player who plays in the hole like Ozil

Hary mate, we have but we stick em on the wing or we undervalue them and suck the flair outta em

Bentley

McManaman

Le Tiss

Joe Cole

Magic Merson

Rooney (who they have turned into a no.9)

Bolton have been using Jack in th hole and on the wing

We do not allow the no.10 playmakers to flourish, the only English "fantasista" I have seen flourish has been probably Edward Sherringham

Lets use Jack in the hole for the u21 like the Germans used Ozil and take it from deya

• Upvote 1

You cant expect to win a world cup when your still playing your best players out of position like Gerrard on the left of a 4-4-2, the big 4 mosly use 4-5-1 now apart from Tottenham who still f*ck with 4-4-2

If Harry comes in hes not going 4-5-1 and he is no dropping lil franky or stevie g, so it will be back to problem number 1. Time to phaze out the current players they have had there chance and didnt take it, no hunger in them all they care about is going back to there club teams.

For the qualifying campaign want to see a team like this starting

-------------------------Hart----------------------------

Johnson------Dawson---------Terry------A.Cole--

-------------------Huddlestone-----Parker------------

---Lennon------------------------------------A.Johnson-

-----------------------Bent--------Defoe-----------------

With the likes of A.Young, Agbonlahor, regulars in the squad

Barry, Lampard, Ferdinand, James, Carragher, J,Cole all need to retire from International football to force the next manager to start again

Really hope the next batch of youngers like Hart, Naughton, Walker, Moses, Rodwell, Cleverly, Gibbs, Wilhtshire, Walcott, Delfousoe, Albrighton, Welbeck, Smalling can fufill there potential and the others that are around cuz this ''golden generation'' couldnt even get gold in there opening group ffs

Could right for years about this but nothing going to change will be saying the same thing in 4years time and 8years and 12years

Bent would get into most teams in this world cups starting 11 hes a dangerous goalscorer

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

i agree with that anelka in this country players like ozil are luxury players

when you have 2 in the center and 2 upfront the only place to stick someone who might not be a natural finisher or too concerned with defending is out on the wing

but linekar was asking the pundits are gerrard and cole good enough to play in the hole shearer cut him off though

so to answer the question is no

j.cole cant keep the ball and gerrard epitomizes kick and rush

Yeah my point is that basically trying to completely revamp the mentality and playing style of the players is a mistake, it's too late in the day so the best option is to build a game plan around their strengths. It's like Pacquiao stepping in the ring with Mayweather and trying to pot shot him from the outside behind a jab, it just isn't going to work. He'll focus on his strengths and do his best to impose his high tempo style on Mayweather because by trying to outdo Mayweather at doing Mayweather he's bound to lose.

15655374.jpg

15655372.jpg

15655368.jpg

lol Gray is a fool for that talk. Shearer had the opportunity to manage his beloved Newcastle but his batty fell out and he was only willing to take it on when it was a no lose situation, he isn't built for management or punditry for that matter.

A lot of people around our age who tend to be ethnics have an almost anti England stance which means they judge England more harshly than other teams. I think is because of bullshit like the stuff in the post above and it's almost a case of balancing the unwarranted hype and arrogance with some harsh criticism. The media for the most part are full of sh*t but from time you buy these papers with journalists who know f*ck all about the game or tune into stations like Talksport you're fuelling it.

• Upvote 2

Sorry but the whole Harry for manager is bullshit, if a manager with what is it 13 league titles and 2 champs leagues?! Can't work with this team, neither can Harry Redknapp. IMO.

He will bow to the pressures of his part time employers (the sun, and listen to the mugs that read it)

Only world class technical player we have has come from Arsenal academy...

Hopefully what Wenger was saying about it taking years for them to come true is real talk because Gilbert, Simpson, Randall few others already can tell not going to make it

C/S Anelka think Bentley would have turned into a solid number 10 for Arsenal/England if he had been given the chance was sick at Norwhich but got shifted out wide even though he does not have pace to be a winger and nobody using side midfielders anymore

We dont appreciate football brains in this country, only manager that seems to appreciate them in and turn wingers central is MON who has tried Downing there and Milner,

Clevery showed signs off promise out of loan of turning into an AM type player and scoring goals but aint watched him enough to see how he plays there..

You think Osman could be a starter for England ANELKA?

• Downvote 1

PERSONALLY speaking, earlier on, I can say I had an almost anti-England stance because of my ethnic background, media hype, general public delusions of grandeur, etc.

BUT, as I've grown to have a much better understanding of the game, my footballing philosophy just can't f*ck with the general English philosophy. It really is that. I know for most people who follow football, it really isn't that deep but meh, what are you gonna do...

I think about it sometimes. Deep down, I genuinely want to be a proud England supporter. Whenever I play football games & managing squads, I like to have an English core. I'm always on the look out for sick English players at Arsenal, etc. sh*t, I'm sure there's someone here who remembers my whole argument about Arsenal needing a core of English players.

But when it comes to the national team, I just can't f*ck with it like that. Lol

• Upvote 1

I would love to see England rebuild a squad of fresh young players and keep some experience in the squad.

Also i get the feeling Capello needs to step his English game up however i do think he is the only man who has the guts to drop the big names from the squad and rebuild.

If Capello left and Harry or Hodgson got the job it would probably be the same old story tbh.

players i would like to see make the step up over the next few years.

J.Hart

Wilshire

Rodwell

Gosling

A.Young

Smalling

A.Johnson

Huddlestone

Gibbs

Sturridge

Delph

Moses

and that young Blackburn defender.. forgot his name though

I'd like to know what are englands strengths and how would you utilize it?

imagine this in 06 rooney played upfront on his own

media and pundits saying you cant play him on his own

now he plays with a partner but he should play on his own

f*ck off about

and all this play them where they play for there clubs is trash as well ronney prob played 10 games on his own for united last season but apparently hes played there the whole season

if they want the best out of rooney then they cant get the best out of lampard, gerrard or there beloved j.cole

because the tactic used more time for united more time was 2 deep lying midfielders a deep lying foward who could link up play and hold it up and create plus 2 quick wingers who were pushed up and always in support.......

if you want 2 deep lying midfielders you cant play lampard and gerrard maybe you can get away with 1 if they stick to a disciplined short passing game and the second striker well..... for all the criticism berbatov gets england dont have a forward as intelligent or as creative who can drop deep............

so getting the best out of rooney becomes defunct

i can do the same for a few of the other players too......

and bane i dont rate the majority of those youngers.... this batch right now were doing more at club and international level at the same age..... so bringing in younger players for the sake of it is pointless

• Upvote 2

lol england fans r so gassed. yes you coulda scored you mighta won

you choose to ignore the blatant fact that germany also had another half dozen chances to score, and were the better team.

Herein lies the problem, the willingness to paper over cracks and ignore the elephant in your front room (no not your fat auntie)

Most england friendlies/qualifiers consist of the same types of games but the sides either aint clinical or strong enough and england score a couple set piece goals.

As for playmakers all the examples anelka gave were/are massively overrated players, people think because he's english can dribble pass and shoot to a decent level he is a playmaker. You rarely see an english player who can both manipulate the tempo his team mates (and subsequently the other team) play at.

• Upvote 3