The England Football Team Thread

Black.

You've got guys who are arguably the best passers of the ball hoofing it long and getting RICK ROSS'D in matches.

What's the difference? And them man I named are far from world beaters but they're also far from sh*t. We're looking solutions here, not "Let's not bother until Jack WIlshire peaks..."

its that kind of talk that keeps England deluded. some of the Best teams in the world? Yes. But it doesnt rub off on the individual players.

• Upvote 1

You've got guys who are arguably the best passers of the ball hoofing it long and getting RICK ROSS'D in matches.

What's the difference? And them man I named are far from world beaters but they're also far from sh*t. We're looking solutions here, not "Let's not bother until Jack WIlshire peaks..."

its that kind of talk that keeps England deluded. some of the Best teams in the world? Yes. But it doesnt rub off on the individual players.

Deluded? Gerrard? Lampard? Are you actually telling me they can't pass?

Lol. Those two by the way are the ONLY two I am referring to.

boy man has just in an internet cafe come back from pub so yes I am drunk

All I have to say is this

Sheinsteiger~>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gerrard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lampard

england play with no footballing brain

sheinsteiger (sp) he see passes 2 or 3 passes ahead

gerrard was on some roy of the rovers bullshit

this is internatinal football not playing some sh*t greek team in champs league

you need a footballing brain hence how greece managed to win the 2004 euros

rooney was scared to shoot bare sh*t/weak lay offs when he could of done a lil shimmy and score like we have seen him do all season

Upson was sh*t

Gareth barry dont care man should never put on an england top again he is not levelling but who can replace him huddlestone

lampard was unlucky but imo gerrard should be playing where lampard was, lampard is not mobile enough should be on the bench even though he was bumped

Germany forced the game narrow which forced the wing back to do long balls to defoe and rooney who are midgits compared to their markers so that was some d*ck head ting to constantly try the long ball

England are missing a man with vision Paul Scholes should be in the centre of the park in internatinal footy u need someone who can read a game and scholes does that. We saw it in shewinsteiger for the germans.

Walcott should of been in the squad u see the diffrence he can make as impact sub we saw it against barca.

Put cole on the left and play 5 in midfeild supporting rooney

John terry was that his decsion to become a striker during the game? which cost us

f*ck this :(

oh yeah

Mesut Ozil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

guy is a f*cked baller

• Upvote 4

boy man has just in an internet cafe come back from pub so yes I am drunk

All I have to say is this

Sheinsteiger~>>>>>>>>>>>>>>gerrard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lampard

england play with no footballing brain

sheinsteiger (sp) he see passes 2 or 3 passes ahead

gerrard was on some roy of the rovers bullshit

this is internatinal football not playing some sh*t greek team in champs league

you need a footballing brain hence how greece managed to win the 2004 euros

rooney was scared to shoot bare sh*t/weak lay offs when he could of done a lil shimmy and score like we have seen him do all season

Upson was sh*t

Gareth barry dont care man should never put on an england top again he is not levelling but who can replace him huddlestone

lampard was unlucky but imo gerrard should be playing where lampard was, lampard is not mobile enough should be on the bench even though he was bumped

Germany forced the game narrow which forced the wing back to do long balls to defoe and rooney who are midgits compared to their markers so that was some d*ck head ting to constantly try the long ball

England are missing a man with vision Paul Scholes should be in the centre of the park in internatinal footy u need someone who can read a game and scholes does that. We saw it in shewinsteiger for the germans.

Walcott should of been in the squad u see the diffrence he can make as impact sub we saw it against barca.

Put cole on the left and play 5 in midfeild supporting rooney

John terry was that his decsion to become a striker during the game? which cost us

f*ck this :(

oh yeah

Mesut Ozil>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

guy is a f*cked baller

PMSL

dont watch me Sheinsteiger is the sh*t

oh yeah how the f*ck is swp in the squad man is any Kieron dyer who does not get injured

course greece played with a footballing brain they played to their strengths and won the tounement

rooney could of done moves instead of doing sh*t lay offs

so 5 in midfeild is wrong? rooney is the talismen so i think it makes sense to play to his strenghts

oh yeah what the hell were these man doing in training then?? some joke

not organised one bit

Germany>>>>>>England

hotted them up

thought end of 1st half was englands best spell 2nd half they got deaded

The result of this game was a mixture of failures.

Firstly I think that anyone who's watched Germany's previous games knows that stopping Ozil was key to England winning this game. I don't know what instructions they were given but it seemed to me that no special arrangements were made to neutralise his influence on the game, he found himself in acres of space pretty much the whole game. Now if Capello didn't tell anyone to do a job on him I think that Barry being the holding midfielder has to use his initiative and track him closely after seeing the 1st half hour or so.

Most people know that Terry is a solid defender but he needs to be accompanied by a more athletic defender with good recovery pace, obviously with Ferdinand out King was the ideal partner but if he wasn't deemed fit there wasn't an obvious replacement. The options were Upson & Carragher he chose Upson which in my opinion was a mistake. Carragher has played against some of the best forwards in Europe with Liverpool, is very experienced and I think would've instilled more confidence in the rest of the back 5 than Upson. The lack of communication between the two CB's throughout the game was shocking. You could say that Cole & Johnson have both got to shoulder some of the responsibility though because they're both very quick and should have been extra cautious about balls in behind but that might be a bit harsh.

Barry on more than one occasion looked very very leggy to me today, whether it was the younger players making him look that way or he was just generally off the pace I'm not sure but 2 moments that hinged on a split second of sharpness resulted in two goals conceded. He had a pretty poor game and didn't offer the protection the defence needed.

Rooney has been disappointing this tournament and for the past few games it's been obvious to me he's troubled by the fact he hasn't scored, I'd even go as far as saying I think he almost felt upstaged by Defoe the other day. He hasn't turned up this tournament and again today I think he offered very little but he's been put on such a pedestal that had he been taken off we'd have never heard the last of it.

The substitutions made by Capello throughout the tournament have been poor in my opinion and I think that was the case again today. Say what you will about Crouch but it doesn't change the fact defenders generally hate playing against him, add to that he's a better footballer and finisher than Heskey who Capello seems to rate so much and I think it's criminal Crouch has barely played this tournament when England have hardly scored.

The decision for the Lampard shot was probably the worst I've seen in a WC and definitely made a huge impact on the game, despite Germany being the better team in the 1st half had the score at half time been 2-2 we'd have had a different game on our hands.After that decision it was in the back of my mind that it was gonna be one of those days and when Lampard hit the bar in the 2nd half I was sure it was going to be one of those.

Everyone keeps banging on about how important it is to keep possession & the need to play neat intricate football, In my opinion this pursuit of a footballing style that doesn't play to England's strengths has and will continue to damage the progress of the national team. It wouldn't surprise me if Beckenbauer made those comments with an ulterior motive which was to basically get England to play Germany's game. We don't possess the number of players needed with outstanding levels of technical ability to play football comparable teams like Spain so why the hell do we place so much emphasis on trying? England can play intricate football sometimes but we've been made to feel ashamed for sometimes playing direct high tempo football to the point we'd rather fail trying to string 15 passes together than knock a ball up to a centre forward and play off him even if it works. Beckenbauer was probably wetting himself at the beautiful irony of the goal Klose scored yet had it been a ball lumped up to Rooney like that we'd have been labelled as kick and rush merchants and made to feel ashamed.

To win anything you basically have two options, be so overwhelmingly good at playing one way that your opponents can't cope or be versatile to present different problems to your opposition. Spain Switzerland illustrated this point perfectly because once it became clear that Spain couldn't play through Switzerland it became very noticeable that bar Torres Spain lack any genuine athletes who offer a physical presence to give the option of playing more directly.We have them and didn't even attempt to use them.

I could go on for days but it's already an essay.

• Upvote 5

1966 Champions

1970 Quarter-finals

1974 Did not qualify

1978 Did not qualify

1982 Second round

1986 Quarter-finals

1990 Semi-finals

1994 Did not qualify

1998 Round of 16

2002 Quarter-finals

2006 Quarter-finals

2010 Round of 16

Lets be serious. England have some EXCELLENT players (just like Mexico/Sweeden etc) but England are a quarter final team. The sooner the English media accept this, the sooner the country can enjoy tournaments.

With hard work and luck, England have sometimes over achieved (e.g. italia 90, Euro 96) but just getting to the 2nd round of tournaments should be seen as a success.

Blackburn won the Premiership in 1995. Do you see their fans demanding titles? Uruguay have won the world cup twice, do you see their fans demand titles? WHERE DOES THIS ENGLISH EXPECTATION COME FROM? WE DON'T EVEN QUALIFY FOR SOME RECENT TOURNAMENTS!!!!!!!!

15655374.jpg

15655372.jpg

15655368.jpg

• Upvote 1

Everyone keeps banging on about how important it is to keep possession & the need to play neat intricate football, In my opinion this pursuit of a footballing style that doesn't play to England's strengths has and will continue to damage the progress of the national team. It wouldn't surprise me if Beckenbauer made those comments with an ulterior motive which was to basically get England to play Germany's game. We don't possess the number of players needed with outstanding levels of technical ability to play football comparable teams like Spain so why the hell do we place so much emphasis on trying? England can play intricate football sometimes but we've been made to feel ashamed for sometimes playing direct high tempo football to the point we'd rather fail trying to string 15 passes together than knock a ball up to a centre forward and play off him even if it works. Beckenbauer was probably wetting himself at the beautiful irony of the goal Klose scored yet had it been a ball lumped up to Rooney like that we'd have been labelled as kick and rush merchants and made to feel ashamed.

Modern day football is played in 2 ways, successfully anyway.

Disciplined, counter-attack football or possession-oriented, intricate football.

They've got to get with the times. This 'strength' of high-tempo, direct football simply doesn't cut it. It's that simple. These players are capable. We see them doing it for their clubs.

1966 Champions

1970 Quarter-finals

1974 Did not qualify

1978 Did not qualify

1982 Second round

1986 Quarter-finals

1990 Semi-finals

1994 Did not qualify

1998 Round of 16

2002 Quarter-finals

2006 Quarter-finals

2010 Round of 16

Lets be serious. England have some EXCELLENT players (just like Mexico/Sweeden etc) but England are a quarter final team. The sooner the English media accept this, the sooner the country can enjoy tournaments.

With hard work and luck, England have sometimes over achieved (e.g. italia 90, Euro 96) but just getting to the 2nd round of tournaments should be seen as a success.

Blackburn won the Premiership in 1995. Do you see their fans demanding titles? Uruguay have won the world cup twice, do you see their fans demand titles? WHERE DOES THIS ENGLISH EXPECTATION COME FROM? WE DON'T EVEN QUALIFY FOR SOME RECENT TOURNAMENTS!!!!!!!!

15655374.jpg

15655372.jpg

15655368.jpg

Its the English arrogance

"We invented the sport so we should be the best at it"

Disciplined, counter-attack football or possession-oriented, intricate football.

They've got to get with the times. This 'strength' of high-tempo, direct football simply doesn't cut it. It's that simple. These players are capable. We see them doing it for their clubs.

I don't agree that modern day football can only be played in 2 ways successfully and you missed the point I was making, I'm not saying to abandon playing a short game for direct football I'm saying that the key is to be versatile and play to your strengths. All we've heard over the past few years is how England need to adopt the style of play used by most of the European teams when in truth the style of play we had just needed fine tuning.

"Our philosophy was always to play a fast-paced, attacking style of football. That is what we introduced to the German national team," Klinsmann said. "We developed a team to start passing from the back, hitting balls to the strikers but keeping the ball on the ground. It is a process that has taken Germany six years to learn to play but England were playing that way six years ago.

"Joachim and myself often went over to Premier League games and we tried to implement a style that really creates more speed and creativity. As a result, there is now a generation of German players coming through that has become used to that system and they are comfortable with it. The players have now grown into it and Joachim is continuing that by telling the players that they have to be proactive and highly energetic going forward, with one or two touches if possible. But we still want to create space for creative players like Mesut Ozil."

I don't agree that modern day football can only be played in 2 ways successfully and you missed the point I was making, I'm not saying to abandon playing a short game for direct football I'm saying that the key is to be versatile and play to your strengths. All we've heard over the past few years is how England need to adopt the style of play used by most of the European teams when in truth the style of play we had just needed fine tuning.

"Our philosophy was always to play a fast-paced, attacking style of football. That is what we introduced to the German national team," Klinsmann said. "We developed a team to start passing from the back, hitting balls to the strikers but keeping the ball on the ground. It is a process that has taken Germany six years to learn to play but England were playing that way six years ago.

"Joachim and myself often went over to Premier League games and we tried to implement a style that really creates more speed and creativity. As a result, there is now a generation of German players coming through that has become used to that system and they are comfortable with it. The players have now grown into it and Joachim is continuing that by telling the players that they have to be proactive and highly energetic going forward, with one or two touches if possible. But we still want to create space for creative players like Mesut Ozil."

I never meant to say, that it's the ONLY way to play, but on a BASIC level, they have to be at the very least capable of just holding the ball well & moving around into space.

Even if it isn't a 'strength', you HAVE to be able to retain the ball. There is NO team (club or international level) in recent history who have been successful without having this ability.

I do agree that it's a fine-tuning job instead of a total revamp. I've always said the English game has alot of qualities that work for them. Chelsea's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's & United's dominance in the Champion's League is testament to that. But it's this stubborness to address it on a technical & tactical llevel, on a small & large scale which pisses me off. We've been merely talking offensively, but I think with England's 1st choice defence, they're not capable of playing AGAINST technical teams. Do not get it twisted, EVEN if Rio was fit, Germany & the likes of Holland, Brazil, 'Tina & Spain would still school 'em. Mexico's friendly is an example of that.

On top of all the arrogance, xenophobia, etc.

Ball retention for England has been a problem for a while

I have questioned Crapello constantly since the Mexico friendly and have been proved right

1: Building a team around Barry, what sane manager would do this?? Barry not good enough

2: The selection of Milner & Upson. They both did well and ok in the Slovenia game, they shudda got a pat on the back and returned to the bench, Upson not good enough and did any1 seriously think Milner was going 2give Jerome Boateng any problems, I mean seriosly Fab

3: Not starting Crouch against Algeria was a massive blunder, he always does well against the sh*t teams

4: 4-4-2 was the formation for the group stages, fine no probs Fab but he shudda changed it for this game

5: Not involving Lennon (Englands brightest attacking threat in the 1st two games) was a serious mistake

6: Selecting Rob Green over David James n Joe Hart...

7: His use of subs was also horrible

8: Playing Gerrard ( a central midfielder ) on the left

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I never meant to say, that it's the ONLY way to play, but on a BASIC level, they have to be at the very least capable of just holding the ball well & moving around into space.

Even if it isn't a 'strength', you HAVE to be able to retain the ball. There is NO team (club or international level) in recent history who have been successful without having this ability.

I do agree that it's a fine-tuning job instead of a total revamp. I've always said the English game has alot of qualities that work for them. Chelsea's, Liverpool's, Arsenal's & United's dominance in the Champion's League is testament to that. But it's this stubborness to address it on a technical & tactical llevel, on a small & large scale which pisses me off. We've been merely talking offensively, but I think with England's 1st choice defence, they're not capable of playing AGAINST technical teams. Do not get it twisted, EVEN if Rio was fit, Germany & the likes of Holland, Brazil, 'Tina & Spain would still school 'em. Mexico's friendly is an example of that.

On top of all the arrogance, xenophobia, etc.

England can retain the ball, admittedly not as well as Spain and Brazil but that isn't nearly as much of an issue as people make out.

I've watched Uruguay throughout this tournament I don't think they retain possession very well but are still very effective as a team and have been one of the most impressive teams of the tournament in the eyes of the media. On the flip side I've watched games in the past where England have had less possession, won the game but received criticism from pundits and the media for not imposing themselves on the game more.

I don't see this stubbornness you mentioned at all, if that was the case we wouldn't have had 2 continental managers in the past 10 years and we definitely wouldn't hear ball retention as many times as we do from the England players, manager and media. Like I said I think it's become an obsession that is doing more damage than good.

The attitude of English teams in Europe should be the blueprint for the national team imo, a balance between the high tempo pressing football we see week in week out in the Prem and the style most commonly employed by the continental teams. Foreign players who come to the Premiership often say the pace of the game is difficult to adjust to, similarly I've watched English teams reduce some of the best teams in Europe to a mess by forcing the pace of the game but yet when the national team gets together the focus is on playing in a way that if anything plays into the hands of the opposition.

England's back line is pretty sound but all the top teams possess players who have the ability to unlock any defence, today they were a mess but that wasn't a typical English performance so shouldn't be used as a barometer. I think if anything the inability of the England midfield to track runners is the team's biggest weakness.