Suarez found guilty of racially abusing evra

Guest petercrotch

Can someone show me what negrito means in the english dictionary please?

How can a word that doesn't even exist in the english language be offensive in England?

Flojo a breh comes up to you and calls you negrito (which is a derivitive of negro)

What will you think?

Consider this term actually means little black boy

Calling a black player a word very closely associated with the word nigger/negro, which has a literal translation of little black boy/pigmy black man, is what other than racist?

if he had come out and said to him in English 'oi little black boy' or something similar he should still be charged

I don't understand what the problem is?

• Upvote 2

Just on a wider subject...

I've heard alot of people in the media today tow this line of thought;

"you can't be racist for saying a racist remark, sometime things are said in the heat of the moment that you don't mean..."

I feel a tad uncomfortable about that tbh

Plus it's no different to what Sepp said a few weeks back and everyone was up in arms about that, or maybe I'm looking at it wrong?

When I first studied spanish and the teacher said negro I was thinking in my head wtf is this shit Ms Hewitt?

But I was 13 and after about 5 minutes I realised someone saying 'él es negro' isn't the same as saying 'he is a nigger' because it's a different language.

He almost certainly said negrito which isn't even the same thing, I've already shown two examples of people of Latin American origin using the word to refer to non black people publicly so it is obviously not viewed as an offensive term.

The question is not is the term offensive if used by Spanish speakers in a playful manner, the question is, is calling a black player negrito not intended to racially offend when you are in the middle of an argument? I can't see how the answer is anything but yes?

Context is important

I've played ball when people are trying to get under my skin to put me off my game, one d*ckhead kept saying to me 'wha gwaan' 'innit' and 'booyakasha' sporadically to try wind me up. I just said 'whatever mate' and kept it moving because I wasn't going to bite and get into a back and forth that day.

Negrito is used casually in the same way mate is and again if people think I'm gassing look at the links I've posted where Hernandez refers to a team mate as negrito and Thiago refers to friends and fam as negrito.

I'm black before I'm a iverpool fan. If I thought Suarez had intentionally used a racist term I wouldn't give a fuck how good he is at dribbling, I'd openly say he's wrong for that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest petercrotch

The question is not is the term offensive if used by Spanish speakers in a playful manner, the question is, is calling a black player negrito not intended to racially offend when you are in the middle of an argument? I can't see how the answer is anything but yes?

Context is important

Exactly !!! This shouldn't even need to be asked , anyone with an ounce of common sense will tell you yes . saying negrito , 8 times during a heated argument in an aggressive manor speaks for itself but hey coons will be coons . sellouts will sell

• Downvote 1

Context is important

Exactly !!! This shouldn't even need to be asked , anyone with an ounce of common sense will tell you yes . saying negrito , 8 times during a heated argument in an aggressive manor speaks for itself but hey coons will be coons . sellouts will sell

Come on lads, were meant to ignore the obvious bare facts of the situation,

Suarez and Evra are really good mates after all.

But then again Suarez said he meant it in a nice way, so he must've done.

Guest petercrotch

Context is important

Come on lads, were meant to ignore the obvious bare facts of the situation,

Suarez and Evra are really good mates after all.

truesay bro . suarez has blacks mates . :keeporder:

Gustavo Poyet days he backs fellow Uruguayan Luis Suarez "to the death" over his eight-match ban for racially abusing Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.

The Brighton boss called the sentence "shocking and disproportionate" and insisted Suarez had suffered from cultural differences between England and Uruguay.

He claimed that in the South American country people were referred to as 'blacks' in an affectionate way and attacked Evra, saying the French player was "no saint".

Poyet told Ultimas Noticias newspaper in Uruguay: "The ban is incredible, shocking, it's disproportionate. I back Luis to death.

"Things have happened before with Evra. He is not a saint. He is a controversial player.

"I don't know in which world we are going to live in from now on people. People will accuse each other of anything.

"Suarez just arrived [in the Premier League] and there are things that he has to learn when you are in another country because they might be normal in your country but perhaps they are not considered that way in other parts of the world.

"I have tried to explain that we live with coloured people in Uruguay. We share different experiences with them. We play football, we share parties. We are born, we grow up and we die with them. We call them 'blacks' in a natural way, even in an affectionate way. That is the way we were brought up. We are integrated and there are no problems from either side.

"I've explained how the Uruguay people and the South Americans experience these situations with coloured people. I've been many years in England and I understand them. I know how to deal with it, but Luis has only recently arrived here."

Uruguay's national director of sports, Ernesto Irurueta, called the ban "exaggerated, absurd and out of place."

Uruguay's head coach Oscar Tabarez said he would continue to support Suarez.

Tabarez said: "He has out full support and solidarity because seen from a distance this seems like an excessive punishment."

Fair enough if Poyet wants to the maintain the "cultural difference" stance on the matter but insinuating Evra is somehow to blame and has previous is shocking!

he is to blame for somone calling him a negrito

how was evra supposed to know the apparent cultural context of the word

i tght flojo was an intelligent darnny

I meant was he lying about Evra having previous, that chelsea staff member in 08 who he alleged called him an immigrant when he apparently called him ignorant and back in 06 when he said Finnan gave him some racial abuse I think.

Guest Portuguese

he is to blame for somone calling him a negrito

how was evra supposed to know the apparent cultural context of the word

i tght flojo was an intelligent darnny

I meant was he lying about Evra having previous, that chelsea staff member in 08 who he alleged called him an immigrant when he apparently called him ignorant and back in 06 when he said Finnan gave him some racial abuse I think.

Mike Phelan was behind that tbf

The claim that the Chelsea staff member abused Evra was made by Mickey Phelen, and another member of Uniteds backroom staff. Evra said he didn't hear it.

The Finnan thing was made by a spectator, (a member of the general public not Evra.

But again, let's ignore the facts.