CAPELLO RESIGNS

User

Jack Wilshere has admitted his shock after Fabio Capello resigned as England manager on Wednesday night.

The 20-year-old said on Twitter: "Shocked about news on Fabio Capello...gutted to be honest, gave me my 1st cap and believed in me! Thank you Mr Capello! #GreatManager.

"People have there (sic) own judgement on Capello but for a young player who was given the chance to play for my country at such a young age...

"He has shown great belief and trust in me so I can only thank him....massive influence on my career so far! Sad to see him go!"

Like Wilshere, Tottenham defender Kyle Walker took to Twitter to express his disappointment at Capello's departure.

He posted: "Gutted to see Fabio Capello go he put a lot of trust in me and gave me my first cap just want to say a big thanks really.."

Former England captain Gary Lineker backed Walker's club boss for the top job, claiming he could manage both England and Spurs in the short term.

He tweeted: "As you ask I think new man should be English. Players have to be, so should boss. HR the man if he wants it. He can do both jobs til May."

QPR midfielder Joey Barton was typically forthright in his assessment of where Wednesday night's developments, which followed John Terry being stripped of the captaincy, left the England team.

"Well, well, well, this debacle claims yet another victim. Where does this stop. £madness," he said on Twitter.

"No captain and no manager. 4 months from a major championship. What's going on......."

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, who earlier revealed he was not interested in taking over the captaincy from Terry, tweeted: "So Capello resigns....what now...."

Wayne Rooney insists Fabio Capello's successor must be English and has backed Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp for the role.

Rooney,spacer.gif who has been tipped as a candidate to be handed the armband at this summer's European Championship, admits he was "gutted" to see Capello go.

But the Manchester Unitedspacer.gif and England striker feels Redknappspacer.gif would be an ideal replacement.

The Tottenham boss, who was cleared of tax evasionspacer.gif charges earlier on Wednesday, has been touted as a hot favourite for the role.

Rooney said on Twitter: "Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me."

Harry Redknapp would be the perfect fit as the next England manager, according to former national team boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

He said: "I think Redknapp will be a very, very good choice. He's English; he knows his football.

"He is doing a great job with Tottenham and has done a great job with every team he's had in the past, so I guess it will be him.

"You need to be an experienced manager used to dealing with the big names and some knowledge about international football would help. I think Harry has all these things."

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill has added his voice to calls for Harry Redknapp to succeed Fabio Capello as England boss.

O'Neill said he was "terribly disappointed" by the manner of Capello's departure but told ITV: "If there is anybody to succeed Fabio Capellospacer.gif it is Harry Redknapp.

"(Redknapp) has earned the right to do so and I think Harry Redknapp will be the next England manager and he deserves to be so."

But O'Neill, whose side beat Middlesbrough in an FA Cup fourth-round replay on Wednesday, also expressed disappointment that Capello felt unable to take England to Euro 2012 after securing qualification.

O'Neill added: "I just heard (about Capello's departure) before we took to the field and I'm terribly disappointed because he's earned the opportunity to go the whole distance.

"It's really disappointing it has come to that. All I am saying is that Fabio Capello is not only a fantastic manager but has earned the opportunity. If it's over the incident with John Terry it's very, very sad indeed."

Harry Redknapp would be the perfect fit as the next England manager, according to former national team boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

He said: "I think Redknapp will be a very, very good choice. He's English; he knows his football.

"He is doing a great job with Tottenham and has done a great job with every team he's had in the past, so I guess it will be him.

"You need to be an experienced manager used to dealing with the big names and some knowledge about international football would help. I think Harry has all these things."

Sven is tr0lling

Lol 'Arry must be in the illuminati or something. The way he always manages to come out smelling of roses is incredible. From looking at doing porridge 24 hours ago to having a clear run at the England job now is just too unreal.

Levy must be rubbing his hands together right now, getting ready to screw the FA for every last penny in compensation.

If he goes who do you want

Anyone that doesnt think our fans are scum and that actually cares about the club

That's gonna be a very short shortlist mate, how many top quality managers around the world care about Spurs, with all due respect?