Academic Thread

Yoshie

I NEED to get out of London. Have an excuse to meet new people and do new things, can't be jammin with the same guys too much, I feel like I'm not going anywhere.
I feel the same but I am not even from London...Milton Keynes just comes like an estate how can there be 5 clubs...all in close proximity, that house all the same faces

I NEED to get out of London. Have an excuse to meet new people and do new things, can't be jammin with the same guys too much, I feel like I'm not going anywhere.
I feel the same but I am not even from London...Milton Keynes just comes like an estate how can there be 5 clubs...all in close proximity, that house all the same faces
Get me! I can't wait to get out of Bradford.I've been in this place to long I don't think I'll wanna come back once I get to Sheffield

LOL @ Milton Keynes. My bredrin's cousin lives there. One of them places that seems like you need a car to get to anywhere you need to do stuff. I just remember seeing bare long roads and roundabouts.

fao pl going 2nd yearwhos getting paid less loan/grant moneyim down £500. f*ck
out of curiousity i checked to see what they'd give me,course fee(3k summin) + 5k maintenance loandidn't take it tho, jus the course fee. If u think ur gonna suffer from the same next year, get a halifax student acc, they increase the overdraft depending how u've maintained it + how far along u are on ur course.

Yeah I did.But I'm still allowed to worry lol.Not like I will resit anything this year if I didn't get the grades I want. (No point).I'm just making sure I have plans every day @ every moment till Thursday so that the days pass quicker.(@ whoever asked).Plus, oh shet. Can you imagine my mums reaction.

Try and survive without a student account. it kills niggas, if u are getting the full grant, u should be able to budget and have enough money. Im still living nicely of the last loan that dropped and was able to say mad P from the previous loans. if anything try and get a job when u start. u should have enough time during ure first year anyway.

Anybody haing trouble leaving there current part time jobObviously I have to give four weeks notice....But how can I give four weeks notice from thursdayIf my unis telling me they start in septemember....if my last day is on the 19th...Am I missing anything ?

I thought it was a 2 weeks notice thing?Anyway, I've known my manager all my life so it's not a take the piss thing on either side, will just have to work through it. I've told her that I'm starting in October if I get in my proper place, otherwise it'll be September.What I really need is a transfer. To a store that doesn't mind me going back home on holidays. I dunno how that's gonna work but yeah.

Guest M12 Part 2
I thought it was a 2 weeks notice thing?Anyway, I've known my manager all my life so it's not a take the piss thing on either side, will just have to work through it. I've told her that I'm starting in October if I get in my proper place, otherwise it'll be September.What I really need is a transfer. To a store that doesn't mind me going back home on holidays. I dunno how that's gonna work but yeah.
if its a big chain like jd then they are cool with it. they just transfer u back and forth between the shop u work at for uni and ur 1 at home

those who did sandwich course/work experience in their degreewas it worth it and did u get paid?
Mine wasn't a sandwich, but for one term I worked for my cousin's PR firm. Didn't get paid but she and her co-director covered my lunch and travel expenses. I started it earlier than everyone else. Whereas the actual work experience module was from middle of April, I started working from end of March. Got an extra 2 weeks on top of everyone, and then carried on over summer. Got 6 moths of solid experience. Learnt a good amount about how PR operates and costs and that. Wouldn't really want to work in it, but if I wanted to I have a foot above some other people.All in all, it is very much worth doing it if you can. If you are fortunate enough to get the position you wanted, then you will get first hand experience about whether or not it is for you or not. If it is, even if you don't get paid, it's experience and hard work will be rewarded whether in a job with the company, or a solid reference for another organisation in the field.

Anybody haing trouble leaving there current part time jobObviously I have to give four weeks notice....But how can I give four weeks notice from thursdayIf my unis telling me they start in septemember....if my last day is on the 19th...Am I missing anything ?
Haha same, don't wanna quit untill I know I'm in.Can't see what they can do if I just don't turn up?

If you need to leave you need to leave. when youre handing in your notice put that there (your last day) and why. It shouldn't be a problem unless it's a small company. There's been people at my work place that have handed in their notice stating that they're giving e.g. 3 days notice, when we actually have to give in 2 weeks.

Honestly...would you reccomend it?Where did you go and do...if you dont mind divuldging
Recommend what? Uni?Depends on what you are doing in all honesty. The way the world is now, you could work your way up or go straight and do a qualification and end up in a better position then some graduates, plus save yourself large amounts of debt.If you are doing something like engineering, medicine, midwifery, physics, animation etc. (I'm assuming these are subjects where you need university education in order to work in those fields) or know you are academically capable of achieving high results and are into stuff like Maths and Economics and the like and are going to top 10 or top 20 uni and know exactly where you want to go after uni then yeah it's good.IMO, and I'm not trying to offend anyone, but anything else to study at uni isn't really necessary unless yo want to become a teacher. This is from personal experience as well. I went Coventry University and did Media and Cultural studies basically (yeah, point your fingers and laugh if you want but I have a degree and know I could have applied my academic ability just as well to other subjects had I picked them), and though I got some decent work experience and some interesting lectures at times, if I knew what I knew now back then I would definitely not have picked it. sh*t I probably wouldn't have gone to uni at all. But assuming I did decide to go uni, I actually wanted to study Maths at uni from when I was young, but due to no real good advice available (and this is a problem I feel is present in colleges and sixth forms from my knowledge. They are too eager to get you on to uni so their institution looks better to parents) and African parents pressuring I said f*ck an extra year at college just to bump up my Maths GCSE to a B and ended up dashing those plans out of the window. Do wish I could go back in time and change that but oh well.But at the same time, I'm happy I went. Improved as a person, met a number of people I plan to keep in contact with for future ventures, and an overall sick experience.Hope that helps.PS: Sorry about the long post, tried to condense it as much as possible. Also, I figure tuppatopbreh or Gray Fox will come through to say something about my post, so just remember that it is my opinion and in now way a definitive guide to uni.
This co incides with alot of other opinions,One thing I am always hearing is you cant go uni and study sh*t like Psychology, English, Geography...its like you have got to do something practical and hands on if you want to have some sort of future use
This is true but only to an extent.Plenty of people can do a degree in geography, english, International Relations or any of what i call sometimes unfairly " the waste courses" and still get a good job after. Its all about how u spend ur time. if u do work experience or get involved with some kind of development scheme while ur still in uni u can easily land a nice job. the problem is when guys come out of uni with a 2:1 and in the relevant experience section of their cv all they can write is i work shifts in jd sports. If u dont go to a top uni or do a respected course, your degree alone will most probably not be enough. You need to show some kind of dedication to the field you apply in and not just be applying to jobs cos they offer the most cash. Like Titan said its the standard pitfall of colleges and 6th forms, they just try to push out people who go to uni. Instead of people who actually know the career path they want to follow and understand how their specific uni course will help them achieve that.On the other hand though uni is an experience that i feel helps u grow and understand the world and people from different backgrounds better. Regardless of whether ur course is good or not i think most unis do help u mature and get out of the childish mindset that most people have when they are 18 and fresh outta college.
Co- sign. There's one person that studied animal physcology as a degree, but ended up making alot money from it. This one motivational speaker called les brown said one guy who didn't have no qualification to work for one company, but the guy kept on asking if there's vacancy and kept on asking , until the boss of the company said what do you want, and the guy said I want to work ,so I can keep myself busy, just let me do volunteer and you don't have to pay me, and the boss let him work for free. But guess what the assistant manager from that company left the company, subsequently the boss of the company substitute him for the guy with no qualification but is hardworking, vigorous, persuasive out of everyone in that company, ended up earning decent income from utilizing his non verbal skills without no degree. So hate it when people look down on people with no qualification and think they are better than everybody else because they studyin better course . Man there's all sorts of way to make money legally without no qualification which means any guy with intelligience, common sense and hustler mentality can make more money than the guys with degree in law,bussines etc etc. You can even be author,motivational speaker or start a bussiness without taking degree course .But yeah going to uni can be wonderful experience and it can help alot of younger men to mature quicker and grow up to be responsible men.

mans not even nervousyears of worrying for results to discover that i smacked it have put me into a state where i CANNOT worry anymore...furthermore, i know a different road to a different kind of success awaits me if i f*ck upjus arson'd last chance saloon niggggggggggggggahs
u smacked it last year innit

mans not even nervousyears of worrying for results to discover that i smacked it have put me into a state where i CANNOT worry anymore...furthermore, i know a different road to a different kind of success awaits me if i f*ck upjus arson'd last chance saloon niggggggggggggggahs
u smacked it last year innit
:angry: your actually trying it bruvdon't get lairy