THE TRAVEL THREAD

Lofa

You can follow the parade as part of the pipoca which is what we did but if you're not arsed about the cost then get an abada, we went on a last minute one so some of the group had them and others didn't. Some of the American guys we were with spent about a grand on Abadas alone for the week.

We stayed in an apartment in Barra, like 2 minutes away from where the parade goes. It's a good spot to be for the carnival but there aren't any particularly good beaches close by if you want to go through the day.

I thought barra had good beaches? Beach is a must. Barra is somewhere I read that was a lot safer. Gonna need to do even more research.

The ones we went to were too packed and dirty but I'm not sure if that was just cos of carnival. One day we went to a nearby fishing town (1 hour bus ride) called Arembepe - one of the best beaches I've ever seen and well worth the journey.

I'm back in Salvador in a few days and staying in Santo Antonio so I'll drop some more info in here.

Go Titan.

Pelourinho is an amazing place, I stayed with a french guy that has lived in Salvador for 6 years and linked up with an American brudda that's fluent in Portuguese and lives there so he gave us the lowdown on where to go and what to do. He was saying that 90% of the year in Salvador there are outdoor live music performances.

I was there for 4 days and just walking the streets for free saw Olodum (Brazilian drum troupe)  perform in the streets, Capoeira and live music performances.

The Confed Cup was on as well so there were extra performances for that and I went to a game, I also went to the contemporary arts museum and stayed on to watch a Jazz performance for 6 reais (£2) in the most ridiculous location overlooking the bay just as the sun was setting. There's also the afro brazilian museum  (£2 entry) and a sh*t load of other stuff to do. There are some areas around it which are really hood but unless you're a certified fool in life it's impossible to not realise where they are as you approach them and I think that's always going to be the case in Brazil as you're pretty much always a few streets away from heading into dangerous areas.

I didn't go to a beach whilst I was there mainly because I was never arsed but even if there isn't one really nearby I would sacrifice that for staying in Pelourinho which was a 100 times more interesting than Barra which is where I stayed for Carnival. One thing I would consider is that the carnival route in Barra had the more youthful performers if I remember rightly compared to Pelourinho which had the more traditional sound.

I'd stay in Pelourinho and travel to Barra for a few days rather than the other way around, it's just a much more interesting place.

Thanks a lot man.

Beach has to be visited though definitely though.  Ain't going gym for nothing LOL

Really looking forward to the trip.  Whilst the main purpose of the trip is the carnival, I definitely want to see the culture and ties to African history.  Looking forward to the food as well.

Trudat

I'm deffinately gonna do it, just gotta pay off this shit and save, hopefully ima be done by christmas so I can get started 1st of Jan and just enjoy life as its supposed to be lived

got my route and gonna use CouchSurfing/WorkAway/Car Sharing tools to keep the living/travelling costs down. I reckon I can go 3 years on the money I have without working and more if I wanna teach english or sell drugs or some shit.

Will deffinately write at least one book in that time

if your actually gonna make the jump young bawse you might aswell start planning now and give yourself a date to leave, otherwise youl never do it

Going Magaluf on the 20th July for 10 nights. Anyone around then?

Also going Ibiza for a week 26th September - 3rd October.

Ibiza was £290 all inclusive, including flights. Can't go wrong with that.

• Upvote 1

lol at leaving london when the weather is like this

i cant think of anywer else id rather be

beach included

holidays are for when the weather fails

got my sun lounger in di back garden

Yeah kind of gutted the weathers so good here. Friend said it was pissing down in Barbados today. :(

looking for a quick 5 days at the end of aug

anywhere on those bait party european islands just not ibiza,napa or malia

how much am i lookng at all inclusive? ( self catering)

not looking to get bumped

someone direct me to a site please last minute aint really helping

thanks