The Official Liverpool FC Thread

The Infamous

Lol, the more Torres speaks, the more I dislike him.

Someone pointed out that if we go on to do well, it will be the second club he has left that has done better after his departure. Lets hope its true.

We won f*ck all with the lad so anything we do win will top what he did for us tbh.

Suarez + Carroll. This is the most excited Ive been in the past 18 months about my football club.

:Y:

• Downvote 1

Surprised this hasnt been posted yet...

article-0-0D093334000005DC-74_306x336.jpg

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has criticised Fernando Torres following his record-breaking move to Chelsea.

The 35-year-old Perth Glory player was taking part in a radio promotion today to raise money for Queensland flood victims.

Perth’s players were asked to wear a ‘Shirt that Hurt’ for the event, and Fowler arrived in a number nine Liverpool top worn backwards and emblazoned with Torres’ name, explaining it was to express his unhappiness at the £50million transfer.

'There is nothing wrong with the front of the shirt but it’s just the name on the back,' Fowler said.'With what’s happened this week, it’s a shirt that not only myself but many Liverpool fans would rather not wear just yet.

'He (Torres) didn’t leave the club in great hands or great shape but thankfully they managed to go out and buy a couple of decent players.'

Fowler also wrote in his column in the West Australian newspaper: 'There’s something not quite right about the Spaniard’s last-minute transfer to Chelsea.

'As a Liverpool fan it was disappointing to see Torres leave because on his day he’s a world-class player and I want the best players at the club.

'But if I was a manager and a player said he didn’t want to be at the club I’d try to get the best deal I could.

'Only a couple of weeks ago Torres was talking about how much he loved the fans and the club. He won’t be getting a warm welcome next time he plays at Anfield.'

Legend :!:

How I wish we had a Fowler at the top of his game.

The abundance of striking talent England had was silly.

Interview with John W Henry, nice little read. They have a brilliant philosophy.

Liverpool's American owner, John Henry, has criticised Chelsea for their extravagant transfer window spending, questioning the commitment of Roman Abramovich's club to Uefa's financial fair-play rules. In an exclusive interview with the Guardian, Henry suggested Chelsea may be planning to "evade" the rules and called on the governing body to ensure they are strictly followed by all clubs. The fair-play rules, which require clubs to spend only the income they make and not rely on subsidies from owners, come into effect from next season to 2014.

"I was surprised Monday morning to receive an offer [from Chelsea for Fernando Torres] in that amount [£50m] at the same time they were announcing such large losses [£71m for 2009-10]," Henry said. "The big question is just how effective the financial fair-play rules are going to be. Perhaps some clubs support the concept in order to limit the spending of other clubs, while implementing activities specifically designed to evade the rules they publicly support. We can only hope that Uefa has the ability and determination to enforce what they have proposed."

Chelsea have insisted since signing Torres and David Luiz that they firmly intend to comply with financial fair play and that the £71m outlay was within overall progress towards cutting costs.

Henry, setting out his thoughts on Liverpool's direction almost four months since his Fenway Sports Group bought the club by paying off the £200m debts Tom Hicks's and George Gillett's "leveraged" takeover had loaded on to Liverpool, said he is committed to the club living within its income. "We've always spent money we've generated rather than deficit-spending and that will be the case in Liverpool," he said, referring to the group's ownership of the Boston Red Sox baseball team. "It's up to us to generate enough revenue to be successful over the long term. We have not and will not deviate from that."

That commitment to sound financial management was followed, not breached, Henry asserted, in the £35m Liverpool paid Newcastle United for Andy Carroll, a fee that astonished English football. Henry said the £35m made financial sense because Liverpool were only paying to Newcastle what they were to receive from Chelsea by selling Torres, whom they allowed to leave because he had become too evidently unhappy at Anfield.

"The fee for Torres was dependent on what Newcastle asked for Carroll," Henry said, explaining that Liverpool wanted Carroll, plus £15m, to replace Torres. Together with the £6m sale of Ryan Babel to Hoffenheim, that effectively financed Liverpool's £22.8m signing of Luis Suárez, meaning the club bought two strikers but net, spent almost nothing. "The negotiation for us was simply the difference in prices paid by Chelsea and to Newcastle," Henry said. "Those prices could have been £35m [from Chelsea for Torres] and £20m [to Newcastle for Carroll], 40 and 25 or 50 and 35. It was ultimately up to Newcastle how much this was all going to cost. They [Newcastle] made a hell of a deal. We felt the same way."

Saying Kenny Dalglish has "exceeded our expectations" as the club's caretaker manager, Henry explained that Liverpool retain ambitions to qualify for European competition this season, so insisted they had to sign a replacement striker, preferably Carroll, if Torres was to go. "We weren't going to write off Champions League and Europa League for the sake of someone's happiness," Henry said of Torres. "The striker position had to be filled, by someone who made sense for the long term. With about 24 hours remaining, the possibility of Andy, who was No1 on our list of possibilities for the summer, emerged."

Henry explained how Carroll, even at £35m, fits into FSG's philosophy, which famously learns from the strategy honed by Billy Beane, the general manager at baseball's Oakland Athletics. As described in the book Moneyball, by Michael Lewis, players are assessed from performance statistics, not solely by scouts rating how good they look. Henry, however, said this did not mean they were not prepared to spend big fees on the right players, as the group has done when turning the Red Sox into a World Series-winning baseball team again.

"The Moneyball approach is about poor decision-making in baseball, based on anecdotal evidence [about players' qualities] as opposed to hard, statistical evidence. If the Red Sox are a Moneyball team it has to be noted that we are second in spending over the last decade within Major League Baseball. We have been successful through spending and through securing and developing young players."

That, he said, will be Liverpool's two-pronged approach to rebuilding the squad, which will be financed only out of its income; he and his fellow investors in Fenway will not be pouring cash in. "We intend to get younger, deeper and play positive football. Adding two top players [Carroll and Suárez] who have just turned 22 and 24 is a good first step."

Henry lavished praise on Dalglish, although he declined to say whether Dalglish is likely to be offered the job permanently. "We didn't know Kenny well prior to him coming aboard as manager," Henry said. "But he has exceeded our expectations on all fronts. It would be inappropriate to comment publicly on what happens beyond the end of this season."

FSG is, Henry confirmed, studying the possibility of expanding Anfield rather than building the long-mooted new stadium on Stanley Park, a plan which he criticised. "It's not a coincidence that the last two ownership groups could not get a new stadium built," he argued pointedly. "What they proposed or hoped for just didn't make any economic sense or they would have been built. A lot of time and effort is being put into study and creatively looking at all options."

With his first, extraordinary, transfer window done, in which Liverpool managed to part with English football's most astonishing fee ever while spending nothing overall, Henry argued the new American owners' strategy, to refashion Liverpool as a major club, is on course. "Our goal in Liverpool is to create the kind of stability that the Red Sox enjoy," he said. "We are committed to building for the long term."

A new starlet, Suso and Raheem Sterling are amongst the topics in Academy director, Frank McParland's latest column from the club's youth base.

It's been a dramatic week for Liverpool Football Club with some big money moves in the transfer window.

Obviously that hasn't affected us too much here in Kirkby and we've been able to carry out our day-to-day business as normal.

I suppose the big news for everyone associated with the Academy and the reserve team is that Raheem Sterling and Suso have both been handed first-team squad numbers. Suso has been given the No.35 shirt while Raheem will wear No.38. It's great for all of the people who have worked hard to help both of these boys progress and it will also act as a spur for some of the other lads.

Raheem is a 16-year-old boy so if he can earn such a big reward for his performances then there's no reason why some of the others involved in the U18s can't do it as well.

He was obviously delighted to get the news and the reaction of his teammates was fantastic too.

We have plans for a lot of the youngsters to get a taste of Melwood and Raheem is just one of them. You have to remember he is still at school. He's a special case. A good example of that was the other day when he had to take a PE exam. That affects whether he can come to training, so we have to be mindful of his education both on and off the pitch.

We are monitoring every player and when the boss thinks it's right then they will get their chance.

As I've mentioned, we weren't really involved in the transfer window. That's because if we are interested in signing any youngsters it is usually schoolboys that are under 16 and those deals can be done at any time of year.

So, like I say, it doesn't impact upon what we do in Kirkby although we are fully aware that the rest of the club was very busy in January.

It was clearly a very hectic time for the boss and Damien (Comolli) who were working extremely hard to ensure we signed Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll.

I was actually at Melwood the day the two lads arrived but it was just a case of trying to stay out of the way! I was there because we brought a young lad in from Coventry called Conor Thomas and we had to give him his medical.

I've watched him for some time now and feel he is a top prospect.

Damien was involved in the negotiations with Coventry and we now have Conor here until the end of the season. It's a great situation for us to be able to bring in a top young English player like that.

He's played for England at various levels and it's now up to him to show us what he is capable of. We think he can do really well, otherwise we wouldn't have brought him here. It's up to him to use this as a platform to step up his development and show just how good he is.

He'll train with the reserves and will be involved in some of the work the first-team do. It's quite a fluid situation now with a lot of the boys moving between the U18s, the reserves and the first-team squad.

As a final thought, I'd just like to touch upon the impact that the last four first-team games have had on the whole of the club. The three wins and the draw with Everton have given everyone a boost and all of our Academy lads have come away from those games buzzing.

It just shows it is all moving in the right direction and it really is a great time to be involved with Liverpool Football Club.

:Y:

• Upvote 2

Guest Klitschko

Lol, the more Torres speaks, the more I dislike him.

Someone pointed out that if we go on to do well, it will be the second club he has left that has done better after his departure. Lets hope its true.

Yes, millions of euro's pounds generally help a club.

• Upvote 1

You say that like its inevitable, but you have to spend correctly and at the right time. Newcastle just got 35 million, not necessarily going to help them progress if it just sits there.

/

Great news for Suso and Sterling. Hopefully they can continue their progression.

tell em

the fans who look more stupid are you donuts

/

Chelsea are an awfully hollow club and their fanbase is no different, but after 5 years of Liverpool goading them about their lack of history you can hardly expect them not to enjoy this.

Good move all round anyway IMO, both clubs stronger in the long term.

I

f*ck

WITH

YOUR

SOUL

ETHER

Fernando Torres has not spoken to Kenny Dalglish since signing for Chelsea, but there is one nugget of advice from the Liverpool manager which rang true as he prepared for his first appearance as a £50million striker.

When Torres moved to Anfield, Dalglish told him not to kiss the badge on his shirt unless he really meant it. Those who stood on the Kop would know the truth, explained the Scot. Three-and-a-half years later, as he braced himself for a debut against Liverpool, his assessment of modern football was as cool and clinical as his finishing.

Romance is dead. Why pretend otherwise?

'I never kissed the Liverpool badge,' said Torres. 'Never. No. Kissed the badge? No. I never did. I never did when I was at Atletico Madrid, and I love Atletico, my former club. I see some players doing that when they join a club but the romance in football has gone. It's a different thing now. People are coming and leaving. When you are joining a club you want to do the best for yourself and that club and that's all.

'Some people like to kiss the badge. They can do it. I only want to score goals and do my job and achieve all the targets the team has. When I was born in Madrid I was not a Liverpool fan or a Chelsea fan. I was only an Atletico Madrid fan. I still am. Maybe it's the only badge I will kiss if I have to kiss one.'

When Torres arrived on Merseyside he found himself lying low in a hotel room as he waited to sign, passing the time by watching DVDs and reading books about his new city, his new club and legends like Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley and Dalglish.

By last month, the bond had diminished, overtaken by ambition and the fear of wasting his best years at Anfield as the club chased past glories against a backdrop of boardroom squabbles as Tom Hicks and George Gillett tried to sell.

Doubts had started to creep in long ago when Xabi Alonso and Javier Mascherano were allowed to leave the club for Real Madrid and Barcelona.

'It wasn't just last summer, really,' said Torres. 'Maybe the last two years. Especially with the old owners. I think when the new owner, John Henry, came and brought his team with him, the club were moving in the right direction.

'They have ambition and they know how to do things and go back to the way they were. It is my opinion, though, that they need time for that. Maybe they will need the time while I'm at my best age to play football.

'I took the decision to leave because I heard about Chelsea's interest. They were pushing hard for me, which meant they really wanted me. I really wanted to leave Liverpool, so I told them straight.

'If no-one had wanted me, I would have played happily. It's been a very tough season. The progress has not been the best. They've had problems and are in a difficult moment but I helped the team and did my job all the time.

'I explained my situation, my feelings, and was honest with everyone. I told everyone, face to face, my feelings and that I wanted to leave for Chelsea.

'They didn't hear that in the press. They heard it from me. That was maybe 10 or 12 days before the window closed. They didn't want me to leave.

'They tried to ask me to stay. I told them my decision was made and I wasn't going to change my mind. So they tried to get the best money and a replacement. I understand their position. I told them what I wanted, and I had to wait until the last few minutes of the window to sign.'

This timescale puts the transfer request somewhere after the 2-2 draw against Everton at Anfield and before the win against Wolverhampton Wanderers at Molineux, when Torres scored twice.

It was more than a week later when Chelsea's swoop became public and the record transfer accelerated towards its conclusion on deadline day, last Monday.

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard would have known better than most the dilemma Torres had been wrestling with, having twice come close to leaving Anfield for Stamford Bridge.

Ultimately, Gerrard opted to stay on Merseyside but, when he learned of Chelsea's move for Torres, he phoned his team-mate to wish him luck.

'He was one of the first ones who called me and said if I left, if I stayed, he would help me and support me,' said Torres.

'Maybe because he was in that situation first. He's been a very good friend and team-mate from the first to the last day.He only wanted the best for me and said he'd agree with whatever decision I made.'