THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

Samsung in 2013: expect an even bigger Note, but no 'unbreakable' Galaxy S IV

As reported by CNET, a rumor originating from The Korea Times this week claims that Samsung is working on a Galaxy Note III with a whopping 6.3-inch display, some eight-tenths of an inch larger than the already massive Galaxy Note II. While we don't have any information about a Galaxy Note III specifically, a trusted source recently left us with this: "At some point in the next year, and it could be very late in the year, we might fill in the largest gap in our screen size lineup." Indeed, at present, Samsung has no devices between 6 and 7 inches in either its phone or tablet lineups.

How, exactly, a normal human would hold a 6.3-inch phone is unclear. Samsung could possibly get to 5.8 inches without increasing the size of the current Galaxy Note II's body if it were able to eliminate portions of the bezel as Motorola has done with the RAZR M, but that's about it — in other words, the phone would definitely have to get bigger than it is today in order to accommodate a 6.3-inch screen.

Speaking of screens, various news outlets have reported this week that next year's inevitable Galaxy S IV will have an "unbreakable" display, a fruit of Samsung's longtime effort to commercialize flexible AMOLEDs. The rumor appears to originate from Nicolas Gaudois, a UBS analyst quoted by Reuters.

Don't expect such a screen on a Galaxy S model in 2013, though. "Flexible screens are still a while off," our source tells us. What you can expect, we hear, is a 1080p display — no surprise now that HTC has set off that arms race with the J Butterfly and Droid DNA.

Our source isn't yet sure when the S IV will be announced, but it definitely won't be CES and may not be MWC in late February, either — Samsung set aside its own event for theGalaxy S III this year, after all, and it was just unveiled in May. Considering its specs and popularity, Samsung may elect to wait a full 12 months before pulling the sheets off its successor.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/13/3762754/samsung-2013-galaxy-note-iii-galaxy-s-iv

Are you going from iPhone to Android?

If so basically every app you have on the iPhone you can really get on Android now, the screen and colours on the S3 blow the iPhone away.

• large screen, great shape and fits in the hand nicely
  • swipe your hand across the screen to take screenshots
  • chrome on android
  • chrome to mobile - send web pages on your computer to your phone, just press the button in chrome and the page immediately loads on your phone
  • apps can update by themselves
  • no need to "jailbreak", things can be customized easily
  • the notification bar has settings that you can quickly change. E.g Turn wifi on/off. Which you'll be able to customize when the next update comes.
  • videos, throw any video on the S3 by going directly to a folder on the phone like a usb drive instead of using a program like itunes
  • it offers to convert the video when you try to add a video, but even if you don't convert i haven't had any problems playing them
  • google backs up your apps, no need to connect to a program
  • got my nexus 7 tablet and it offered to put my apps on there too
  • download with utorrent easily
  • live background wallpapers
  • widgets - have your emails on your screen, or tasks, calendars, youtube, or your latest news from flipboard/pulse, or bbc

I'll try and think of some more stuff lol

:Y: copped

Samsung Galaxy Grand announced: single and dual-SIM versions, multi-window apps, not-so-spectacular 5-inch WVGA screen

galaxygrand.jpg

After getting a glimpse in an FCC filing (and some certification via China) the Galaxy Grand has now appeared in earnest, with a 5-inch 800 x 480 WVGA display that betrays that glamorous naming. It'll arrive running Android 4.1.2, while the dual-core (unspecified) 1.2GHz apparently enough to handle running two apps on screen with Samsung's Multi Window mode, seen on the flagship Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II. There's an 8-megapixel camera on the back, while a 2-megapixel sensor on the front will offer 720p video for calls. Inside there's a 2,100mAh battery, alongside 8GB of built-in memory and a microSD slot for expansion up to 64GB. Likely due to the bigger screen, the familiar looking Galaxy Grand carries 30g more weight than the Galaxy S III, while connectivity is provided by HSPA+ (up to 21Mbps down, 5.76 up) on 850 / 1900 / 2100 bands, alongside Bluetooth, DLNA and WiFi. Despite those familiar bands, Samsung hasn't revealed where we can expect to see the phone appear for sale, although the appearance of a dual-SIM version suggests appearances in Asia. We plan to catch the Galaxy Grand somewhere within the madness of CES -- and you can expect that we'll test it out then.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/samsung-galaxy-grand-dual-core-wvga-5inch/

Will update after a few days so I can gauge it properly.

/

Is there a way on android to get notifications like iOS? Whatsapp messages come up as a big notification in the middle of the screen or a tiny thing at the top. On my iPhone I used to be able to read them as they came in while still doing something else like browsing the net.

There is/was an app that does it, but it didn't work properly or messed up some other features.

You could always just slightly pull the notification bar down, it shows the message in there.

or you could flash 4.1.2 and use multi window so u can have whatsapp open while you browse

My whatsapp notifications just show at the top you just turn off popup notifications in whatsapp settingsAlso There are other notification apps that will give you bigger notifications at the top like ios ones

Yeh thats what I'm after, you know what its called?