THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

Samsung Galaxy Grand announced: single and dual-SIM versions, multi-window apps, not-so-spectacular 5-inch WVGA screen

galaxygrand.jpg

After getting a glimpse in an FCC filing (and some certification via China) the Galaxy Grand has now appeared in earnest, with a 5-inch 800 x 480 WVGA display that betrays that glamorous naming. It'll arrive running Android 4.1.2, while the dual-core (unspecified) 1.2GHz apparently enough to handle running two apps on screen with Samsung's Multi Window mode, seen on the flagship Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II. There's an 8-megapixel camera on the back, while a 2-megapixel sensor on the front will offer 720p video for calls. Inside there's a 2,100mAh battery, alongside 8GB of built-in memory and a microSD slot for expansion up to 64GB. Likely due to the bigger screen, the familiar looking Galaxy Grand carries 30g more weight than the Galaxy S III, while connectivity is provided by HSPA+ (up to 21Mbps down, 5.76 up) on 850 / 1900 / 2100 bands, alongside Bluetooth, DLNA and WiFi. Despite those familiar bands, Samsung hasn't revealed where we can expect to see the phone appear for sale, although the appearance of a dual-SIM version suggests appearances in Asia. We plan to catch the Galaxy Grand somewhere within the madness of CES -- and you can expect that we'll test it out then.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/18/samsung-galaxy-grand-dual-core-wvga-5inch/

*continues waiting*

Are you going from iPhone to Android?If so basically every app you have on the iPhone you can really get on Android now, the screen and colours on the S3 blow the iPhone away.
  • large screen, great shape and fits in the hand nicely
  • swipe your hand across the screen to take screenshots
  • chrome on android
  • chrome to mobile - send web pages on your computer to your phone, just press the button in chrome and the page immediately loads on your phone
  • apps can update by themselves
  • no need to "jailbreak", things can be customized easily
  • the notification bar has settings that you can quickly change. E.g Turn wifi on/off. Which you'll be able to customize when the next update comes.
  • videos, throw any video on the S3 by going directly to a folder on the phone like a usb drive instead of using a program like itunes
  • it offers to convert the video when you try to add a video, but even if you don't convert i haven't had any problems playing them
  • google backs up your apps, no need to connect to a program
  • got my nexus 7 tablet and it offered to put my apps on there too
  • download with utorrent easily
  • live background wallpapers
  • widgets - have your emails on your screen, or tasks, calendars, youtube, or your latest news from flipboard/pulse, or bbc
I'll try and think of some more stuff lol

Got my staff plan upgrade with O2 on the 1st Feb.

£20, unlimited minutes, text & data, 12 month contract but got to fork out £359.99 for the phone, I THINK.

Have an iPhone 4S to shot, that's about £240+ right?

Should I do it guys?

never heard of them before

They have also recently done and still completing major work for EE. All the telecom mast sites and internal data cabs nearly 90% in the uk have been swapped out from Nokia Siemens or other companies. Tech to Huawei Tech.

As there equipment is cheaper and easier to maintain.

Motorola reportedly engineering 'X phone' and 'X tablet' to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices

motorolaphone.jpg

Remember that era where the original RAZR elevated Motorola's name in the mobile realm to god-like status? Evidently, folks in that inner circle are angling for that to happen once more. A breaking report from The Wall Street Journal has it on good authority that engineers at Moto are toiling on a so-called "X phone," which is obviously being built under the stewardship of Google. The goal? To produce a singular handset that can immediately rival the iPhone and Samsung's flagship Galaxy handsets.

It's unclear at the moment what exactly will make this guy such a marquee piece, but we are told that the effort is being headed up by former Google product manager Lior Ron. Reportedly, the company even went so far as to look into producing the phone with a bendable display and a ceramic-based exterior, but it's unlikely that those dreams will pan out. Strangely, there's no mention of whether the phone will slot into Google's Nexus range -- phones that run unadulteratededitions of Android -- but it's made clear that an X tablet will be following the phone. At some point post-Apocalypse, obviously.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/motorola-x-phone-x-tablet-rumor-android-smartphone/

could be good