THE SMARTPHONE THREAD

Lenny

ZTE's 5-inch 1080p Grand S leaked, teased and confirmed for CES debut

zte-grand-s-leak.jpg

Earlier today a kind anonymous tipster shared the above product shot of a ZTE Z753, which is allegedly the Chinese manufacturer's contribution to the ever-growing list of five-inch 1080p devices -- including those from HTCSharpOppoand eventually NubiaHuaweiLenovo plus Sony. Conveniently, ZTE's also been teasing its upcoming Grand S flagship on Sina Weibo ahead of its CES debut, and we've been able to confirm that this is indeed the aforementioned Z753 -- not that we don't already know the Grand S' main selling points thanks to a brief description on CES' website: "the world's thinnest for 5 inch FHD smartphones." There isn't much information about the guts at this point, but we do know that the phone will feature a unibody design, along with a slight bump around the off-center camera on the back. Until we make it to CES next month, you can see more in the official sketches after the break, courtesy of ZTE's Sina Weibo account.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/22/zte-grand-s-ces/

oh yeah I was talking to the guy in the EE shop about phones and what not.

he said if I took out the contract for my S3 within the last 6 months, I can buy out for £99, give them the phone, and get a new contract with an S3 LTE to enjoy 4G ("22.2meg a second") in Glasgow.

thing is depending on the tariff there might be a handset cost, again. 

plus, starting a new 24 month contract where Im about 5 months into mine and phones4u will buy me out and into a new handset after 12 months, therefore next summer il effectively be able to upgrade to a newer handset anyway...

im not gonna bother but thought some people might be interested

he said if I took out the contract for my S3 within the last 6 months, I can buy out for £99, give them the phone, and get a new contract with an S3 LTE to enjoy 4G ("22.2meg a second") in Glasgow.

plus, starting a new 24 month contract where Im about 5 months into mine and phones4u will buy me out and into a new handset after 12 months, therefore next summer il effectively be able to upgrade to a newer handset anyway...

The EE tariffs at the mo are a joke ting so dont bother

Huawei executive teases massive 6.1-inch phone on video ahead of CES

A rumored 6.1-inch Huawei phone seems to have been caught on video in the hands of executive Richard Yu. In a video uploaded yesterday, a man identified by Engadget'sRichard Lai as Yu showed off a huge hybrid phone/tablet that's apparently the Huawei "Ascend Mate" we've seen in past leaks. The video doesn't tell us much about the phone — except that it's in working condition and very large — but it's been said earlier to come with a 6.1-inch 1080p display, 2GB of RAM, and a 1.8GHz quad-core processor made by Huawei's HiSilicon company. This could be accurate, but Yu himself has taken to Sina Weibo to say that the final specs may be different, and that fans will have wait until CES for more information.

The Ascend Mate isn't the only giant phone said to be coming. We've heard thatSamsung is prepping a successor to the (already pretty big) Galaxy Note II with a 6.3-inch screen, filling in the gap between the Note and its 7-inch tablets. While the Ascend Mate doesn't look quite as big, it's still stretching the outer limits of what can be reasonably called a phone.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/23/3798130/huawei-richard-yu-teases-ascend-mate-phone-on-video

The EE tariffs at the mo are a joke ting so dont bother

Oh yeah good shout.

Tbh H+ speed is generally fast enough.  Just need better coverage.