Arsenal Summer Transfer Window

MrJibbles

'We're not finished in transfer market yet'

By Richard Clarke Ivan Gazidis says Arsenal have not yet finished their transfer activity this summer and have “substantial” funds to invest. The Club’s Chief Executive Officer fully expects Arsène Wenger to add to the purchase of Carl Jenkinson and Gervinho. But, he commented, they would keep their targets under wraps. "We still will be active in this window,” said Mr Gazidis. “We haven't finished our business at all. We're just not conducting it publicly; we're working hard privately. “I'm was out in Asia because I could be with Arsène for an extended period of time and think very, very carefully about strategy and targets. “We understand where the weaknesses have been. Financially we're in a strong position, we have resources to spend. We're certainly not sitting there saying ‘let's hold back on our resources’ for some reason, why would we? “The resources are there. We've got a substantial amount of money that we can invest. The important thing for us, which can be frustrating, is not doing it only in response to a public clamour but in a way that can positively impact our performance next year. That's the focus now.”
'Principles don't hamper our transfer policy'
By Chris HarrisIvan Gazidis insists that Arsenal's activity in the transfer market is not hampered by their business principles.The Club's self-sustainable model has put Arsenal on a strong financial footing and Gazidis stresses that Wenger is not handicapped by a desire to "stand on our own feet". He knows that a 'marquee signing' can set pulses racing but he is acutely aware that Wenger has enjoyed his greatest success with signings that did not break the bank."Our fans have the right to be excited, to look forward to the season with anticipation and to expect to see top-class players and exciting things happening on the pitch," said Gazidis. "It's our goal and our target to deliver all of that."Certainly if you sign a 'name player' that can be an easier way to get that [excitement] and I've got nothing against that. There's no point of principle involved there."But if you look at the best players that we have on our team, they were not necessarily superstar players when we signed them - I don't think any of them were when they came to Arsenal."It's not that we were against doing that. That could happen. But because we run a self-sufficient club - it's an important part of who we are because we have a philosophy of wanting to stand on our own two feet, keeping things in our control, not putting them in the hands of somebody else that we have to rely on - we have to think about the efficiency of the spend."There are many clubs - not just one or two - that have gone out and done exactly that and spent money on players who perhaps were difficult for them to afford but gave them a big hit, a big buzz, took the pressure off, and a year or two down the road found themselves having to address some difficult issues."If we found an established world-class player and we thought the economics made sense and he would add to what we could do on the pitch then there's no philosophical objection to that."Arsène has no point of principle to show the world that he can build his own team of young players. That's just not the way it is."It's easy to lose perspective on what Arsène is trying to do, which, I think, is an extraordinary vision but if you look around here, the fans we have around the world, that vision is very attractive and very, very powerful. We should be proud of that."
So we have money to spend and our principles are not going to hold us back. Lets see what happens.[Wenger]Interesting[/Wenger]

ARSENAL chairman Peter Hill-Wood last night warned Cesc Fabregas: I’m not sure Barcelona are too bothered about signing you.Fabregas is keen on joining his boyhood idols this summer and wants the Gunners to do business as soon as possible.But Hill-Wood has told the midfielder he should not get too carried away with dreams of a Nou Camp move because Barca are not breaking his door down to agree a deal.He said: “I am not sure how keen they are. There are still stories in the (Spanish) press, but they don’t talk to us.World“They’ve made one offer, which works out at around £26m, but that was ages ago.“But at the moment our situation is very straight-forward: we don’t want to lose him.“Obviously if they come up with an offer which was a very good offer we would have to think about it.“We have told them a number of times that what they are proposing is unacceptable and yet they haven’t moved on it.“I don’t approve of what they are doing, but unfortunately it seems the way of the world right now.”Hill-Wood confirmed Arsenal want the saga ended one way or another by the end of the month.If Fabregas was to go – with the Gunners understood to be willing to accept £40m – boss Arsene Wenger would need time to make a new signing.He said: “It has become a real bore and an unnecessary interruption to what we are trying to achieve.”Hill-Wood said he was also unimpressed with super-rich Manchester City’s attempts to lure Samir Nasri, who Wenger is expected to play in Fabregas’ central midfielder role if his skipper leaves.They have offered £20m and tried to tempt the 24-year-old with a contract worth £160,000 a week.But Hill-Wood insisted the Gunners were resolved to keeping Nasri while he sees out his contract.“City seem to have more money than anybody else, and they keep splashing it around all over the place,” added Hill-Wood.“But our position is very straightforward: we don’t want the player to leave.”

story on gunnerblog about joel campbellseems that arsenal offered a good deal but maybe another club got in their ear abit and his dad didn't want to close the deal. so now arsenal are not gonna deal with them anymorehopefully the end of the story will he that, no-one else puts forward a real serious offerhe comes crawling back to arsenal, and they tell him to go f*ck his mum

Arsenal pull out of Campbell deal2 guns July 19th, 2011Arsenal have closed the door on their attempts to sign Costa Rican striker Joel Campbell, after neither the player or his father failed to turn up to a scheduled meeting last night.The paper La Nacion, which has had several exclusives about the story, leads with the headline ‘Joel Campbell stood Arsenal up‘.The President of his club Saprissa, Juan Carlos Rojas, confirmed: “It’s a disappointment for football, for Saprissa and for me that they have decided not to take up an offer from as serious and first-class people as Arsenal. I hope it works out for Joel. I assume his father thinks that things will get better and that’s why he made this decision, but hey, there’s always a risk. It’s a shame that Costa Rican football could not have a player at Arsenal at this time.”All parties were due to meet at 7pm at the Intercontinental Hotel for a final meeting before Richard Law departed for London. Humberto Campbell claimed he and his son were absent due to the medical tests that were being undertaken, but Arsenal were suitably unimpressed to pull out of the deal. Rojas confirmed: “There is no other option; the doors are closed.”Humberto Campbell seemed unmoved by the news: “If the Arsenal option is closed there is no problem. When one door closes, many open.”It’s quotes like that which will lead people to infer than another club has already been in his ear.The news has to go down as another blow to Arsenal’s summer transfer plans, after we just missed out on Argentinian midfielder Ricky Alvarez despite sending Law out to try and do out a deal. It does, however, seem that in this case the player’s father made it more trouble than it was worth.Sorry to start your day with some less than great news…

SMH, honestly his dad is one of those who thinks HE can get a better deal elsewhere.Such bollocks.

In my opinion there are two possible reasons for the decision to delay: the first is that they are waiting to see if Arsenal can be successful in their application for a special talent visa. The second, and unfortunately more likely, is that they’re hoping that a good showing in Colombia will enable them to demand more money from Arsenal or a string of other suitors.
Pretty much.

Kyle Bartley says he is ready to break into the Arsenal first team this season after making giant strides during his time at Rangers.The commanding central defender was on the fringes of Arsène Wenger’s squad last summer but the manager decided another loan spell would be best for his development. Bartley headed to Sheffield United before making the switch to Rangers, where he excelled as the Scottish giants secured a League and Cup Double.Now, after fine-tuning his game and learning a thing or two in the high-pressure environment of Ibrox, Bartley feels he has what it takes to be an Arsenal player.“If I’m honest, I don’t think I was anywhere near the level to play for Arsenal last season,” he told Arsenal.com. “But I’ve come back, I feel really strong and I feel that I am ready now.“I learned the demands of being at a top football club who are trying to win things and how important it is to be a champion and a winner. Every time you step on the pitch, you are going out there to win so there is a lot of pressure on you.“I think I can offer something else [because] I am a little bit different to the other centre backs. I like the physical side of the game and I see myself as a leader. If Arsène decides that he wants me in the first team then that will be fantastic.”Bartley wasn’t part of the squad that travelled to Asia because he had not fully recovered from a medial ligament injury sustained while north of the border.He will link up with the first-team squad when they return to training on Tuesday and the 19-year-old is hoping to catch his manager’s eye ahead of this week’s trip to Germany.“I spoke to the boss on the Friday before they left [for Asia] and he told me that they had four centre backs [going on the tour] and obviously I wasn’t fully over my injury yet. It’s just one of those things.“It was always the aim to get back for the start of pre-season because it’s an important time of the year. I will be back with them on Tuesday when they are back in training with a view to going to Germany with them.“He has said he doesn’t want me going on loan yet and he hasn’t made his mind up. My hopes are the same as every year, to be an Arsenal first-team player. Hopefully, this year, that will happen.”

Meanwhile...Peter Hill c*nt is saying this:

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists they have not heard from Barcelona about Cesc Fabregas since rejecting their first offer for the midfielder.Fabregas' future at Arsenal has again dominated the headlines this summer with Barcelona once again making overtures to lure the player back to Spain.Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is keen to keep hold of Fabregas, but wants the transfer saga resolved one way or another before the new season gets underway.Hill-Wood admits Arsenal would consider a 'very good offer' from Barcelona for Fabregas, but he claims he is not sure how keen the Spanish champions are on signing the Gunners skipper."I am not sure how keen they are. There are still stories in the (Spanish) press, but they don't talk to us," Hill-Wood told the Daily Star."They've made one offer, which works out at around £26m, but that was ages ago."I am not sure how keen they are. There are still stories in the (Spanish) press, but they don't talk to us." "But at the moment our situation is very straight-forward: we don't want to lose him."Obviously if they come up with an offer which was a very good offer we would have to think about it."We have told them a number of times that what they are proposing is unacceptable and yet they haven't moved on it."I don't approve of what they are doing, but unfortunately it seems the way of the world right now."Hill-Wood admits he has become bored of the constant speculation surrounding Fabregas and a possible return to his hometown club."It has become a real bore and an unnecessary interruption to what we are trying to achieve," added Hill-Wood.Hill-Wood also revealed he is not happy with Manchester City's pursuit of Samir Nasri.City boss Roberto Mancini recently confirmed they were hoping to sign Nasri this summer.Nasri has been linked with a move away from Arsenal with the Frenchman yet to agree a new deal at Emirates Stadium.However, Hill-Wood is determined to keep the skilful midfielder at Arsenal despite the player entering the final year of his contract."City seem to have more money than anybody else, and they keep splashing it around all over the place," added Hill-Wood."But our position is very straightforward: we don't want the player to leave."
Whereas Guardiola is saying:
Barcelona have confirmed that they are still hopeful of concluding deals to sign Alexis Sanchez and Cesc Fabregas.Both deals have been on-going for weeks, as Barca try to hammer out terms with Udinese and Arsenal respectively.Speaking at a news conference on Tuesday coach Pep Guardiolaand sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta reiterated their positions over both deals.Although they did admit that signing a forward was a priority, suggesting they would like to do a deal for Sanchez first, they also confirmed that Arsenal are talking terms over Fabregas."This year Arsenal has agreed to negotiate and we are working on it," Guardiola said."Barcelona has made an offer, Arsenal another and we have time until August 31 and we'll try to reach an agreement."It is easier for Cesc in this way because he fits the template, but I know these things cannot always be done."He added that the club have enough money to sign both Fabregas and Sanchez."The club has saved money to try to sign him," he said."We will try until the end try to bring him. I hope that eventually everything can be arranged. But sometimes things cannot be done."We will fight to the end to try to get Cesc because we believe he will improve the team and the squad."No strikeGuardiola also rubbished suggestions that Fabregas may be pretending to be injured in order not to play for Arsenal during pre-season."Cesc has to do what Arsenal ask of him, I do not like this insinuation that he has told them he will not play. When he is well then Wenger will play him."He has spoken with his coach and his club and if there is the possibility of leaving he would like to come to Barca. If we do not buy him this year then that is business."Zubizarreta insisted that the club were treating Arsenal with 'respect' when it came to the issue of Cesc."The position towards Arsenal is with the utmost respect. Also to the player," he insisted."We always try to approach from positions of utmost respect. We have a style to do things."On Sanchez, both Guardiola and Zubizarreta outlined their desire to finalise the deal."Alexis has a lot of potential and I'm told he's a very good boy and that is close to the profile you want," he said.Zubizarreta added that negotiations are "in a final process" and said: "We expect a happy ending and that Alexis is here with us soon."