Jay Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne

GoldCoast

Production credits

1. No Church In The Wild feat. Frank Ocean (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean & Ken Lewis)

2. Lift Off feat. Beyoncé (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean, Jeff Bhasker, Q-Tip & Don Jazzy) (Add Vocals. By Seal, Mr Hudson, Don Jazzy, Bankulli and Ricardo Louis)

3. Niggas In Paris (Produced by Hit-Boy)

4. Otis feat. Otis Redding (Produced by Kanye West)

5. Gotta Have It (Produced by The Neptunes)

6. New Day (Produced by The RZA)

7. That’s My bi*ch (Produced by Q-Tip & Kanye West)

8. Who Gon Stop Me (Produced by Sham “Sak Pase” Joseph & Kanye West)

9. Murder To Excellence (Produced by Swizz Beatz & S1)

10. Welcome To The Jungle (Produced by Swizz Beatz)

11. Made In America feat. Frank Ocean (Produced by Sham “Sak Pase” Joseph) [previously Sweet Baby Jesus]

12. Why I Love You feat. Mr Hudson (Produced by Mike Dean & Kanye West)

13. Illest Motherfu*ker Alive (Produced by Southside & Kanye West)

14. H•A•M (Produced by Lex Luger and Kanye West)

15. Primetime (Produced by No I.D.)

16. The Joy feat. Curtis Mayfield

Quincy Jones has a part to play on "Murder To Excellence"

If anyone ain't seen it:

http://vimeo.com/26776042

lol some of those Kanye / Jay moments were awkward as a motherf*cker

don't believe their relationship really exists tbh

plus, i await being proved wrong but i judge most albums off what comes first

H.A.M. is what is, and i like Otis.

but if the two biggest in the game are gonna group together and draw up an album called 'Watch The Throne', then drop a tune called 'Otis'...

well then i expect more than bars about my other other benz

smell me

independent record stores wrotte open letter to jayz kanye about only itunes and best buy having the album first

http://www.missinfo.tv/index.php/photos-from-jay-and-kanyes-otis-video-shoot-plus-independent-retailers-vs-watch-the-throne/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

i hope artists dont start to follow this strategy to avoid there albums being leaked

it does make sense tho as i read somewhere that the leak usually comes from shipping the cds to record stores - this way ensure minimal chances of a leak.

The royal rappers launched their new album, Watch the Throne, at New York's Museum of Natural History on Monday. Read our first impressions as they jostle for hip-hop's crown

Track-by-track review:

1. No Church in the Wild (ft Frank Ocean)

(prod. Kanye West and 88-Keys)

Over stalking bass, Kanye murmurs "What's a king without a god?" before Jay-Z fires off a strong verse. West is sly and clipped, describing someone as "striped like a zebra/ I call that jungle fever." Frank Ocean sings the hook through a vocoder.

2. Lift Off (ft Beyoncé)

(prod. Kanye West, Mike Dean, Jeff Bhasker, Q-Tip and Don Jazzy)

As galaxies form overhead, Beyoncé sings "Take you to the moon/ Take you to the stars." Now that's selling it. The track is bombastic – the synths recall The Final Countdown by Europe, full of triumphalist opulence.

3. Niggas in Paris

(prod. Hit-Boy, Kanye West, Mike Dean and Anthony Kilhoffer)

This percolating track could have been produced by Wiley, with sick sub-bass and a snare that sounds like static. Both rappers are in excellent form, with Jay-Z repeating "That sh*t cray" – we are left to fill in the "-zy". Kanye begins in half-time and speeds up. Among the lines that jump out: "I'm suffering from realness" and "Don't let me get in my zone." A standout track.

4. Otis (ft Otis Redding)

(prod. Kanye West)

You know this one already – more beats tied to the bass, as is largely the case on the three tracks preceding it.

5. Gotta Have It

(prod. the Neptunes and Kanye West)

Kanye: "LOLOLOL, America/ Try and assassinate my character."

6. New Day

(prod. RZA, Kanye West, Mike Dean and Ken Lewis)

Now here's a song topic: how Jay and 'Ye plan to raise their as-yet-hypothetical boys. Kayne: "I won't let my son have an ego/ Be nice to everyone wherever we go." And later, in a nod to his notorious comment about George W Bush, he talks about raising his son "Republican, so they know he likes white people".

7. Prime Time

(prod. Q-Tip, Kanye West and Jeff Bhasker)

Throwback time! The scratched-in "ba-bada-you" from Public Enemy's Brothers Gonna Work It Out, the Incredible Bongo Band's Apache conga break, and a chorus that is "very late-80s". Of course it is – they sampled it from La Roux.

8. Welcome to the Jungle

(prod. Swizz Beatz, Mike Dean and Ken Lewis)

Squabbly, mnemonic guitar forms the backdrop here. Great twist on an already worn theme: Jay-Z's "Rest in peace to the leader of the Jackson 5."

9. Who Gon Stop Me

(prod. Sham "Sak Pase" Joseph, Kanye West and Mike Dean)

"I can't stop-op-op-op-op-op": Romping, ravey synths, a big stomp without much give. West: "This is something like a holocaust/ Millions of our people lost."

10. Murder to Excellence

(prod. Swizz Beatz and Symbolyc One)

The obvious centerpiece of the album, its grandest statement: "It's all love," Kanye raps, "I love us" – meaning black America. "Pay-per-view murder/ Black-on-black murder," goes one oft-repeated line, with "black excellence" later replacing it. Congas courtesy of William DeVaughn's Be Thankful for What You've Got.

11. Sweet Baby Jesus (ft Frank Ocean)

(prod. Sham "Sak Pase" Joseph and Mike Dean)

Instead of looking forward to new family, this one looks back at old: Jay-Z raps about his "grandma" (which he rhymes with "star-spangled banner"), Kanye talks about meeting his producer No ID in Chicago and "getting high on my own supply" – of beats, naturally.

12. Why I Love You (ft Mr. Hudson)

(prod. Mike Dean and Kanye West)

Mr Hudson's hook sounds like a pitch-shifted old Ratt record, shrieking hair-metal bombast. The track and verses are pretty good, though, with Jay-Z snarling, "Got a pistol under my pit bull." The song, and album, ends abruptly, which is satisfying.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2011/aug/02/jay-z-kanye-west-watch-throne

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1