Bank Holiday Week 34 / CL Semis

Guest FA23

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/apr/24/arsene-wenger-arsenal-bolton-wanderersHe took the blame. Credit to him. His actions in the summer will really show whether he has learnt his lesson.
Arsène Wenger admitted his Arsenal side lacked a championship mentality and were finishing the season looking "frail" after the last-minute 2-1 defeat by Bolton Wanderers that has effectively ended any hope of catching Manchester United at the top of the Premier League table.Arsenal are now nine points behind the leaders with only four games to go and Wenger is staring at the possibility of a sixth consecutive season without a trophy. The Frenchman said he would not change his philosophy but he also admitted Arsenal had shortcomings that he should have addressed before now."I feel the players had an outstanding attitude all season and are not to blame," Wenger said. "If someone is to blame, it is me. I pick the team, I choose the players."It's very unsatisfactory because we have had one of our easiest run-ins for a long, long time and we didn't take our chances. That is frustrating because I feel the potential is there but we still lack something – maturity and experience and calm in important situations."We've conceded six goals in the last week [two against Bolton, three at Tottenham Hotspur and one against Liverpool] and you can't afford to concede six goals in April if you want to win the championship. Defensively we have been too frail during the season and it is especially frustrating when you look at the way we have dropped the points."Wenger's frustrations were exacerbated because of the number of scoring opportunities his team passed up before Tamir Cohen won the game with a 90th-minute header, the Israeli midfielder marking the goal by taking off his shirt to reveal a picture of his father, Avi, the former Liverpool player who died in December after being involved in a motorcycle accident.Daniel Sturridge had opened the scoring for Bolton in the 38th minute with his seventh goal since signing on loan from Chelsea and the home side also squandered a penalty early in the second half, Wojciech Szczesny saving from Kevin Davies before Robin van Persie equalised a minute later to prompt a spell of concerted Arsenal pressure."It's hard to lose a game like that," Wenger said. "If you look at the way we conceded the goals, it's hard to swallow. We gave everything. Our attitude was fantastic and we had chances to win it. But we could have taken nine points [from the past three games] and we have taken two and that's a massive difference. We have to look at some of these things but we do not have to change the way we play."If you can convince me those principles are wrong, I'm ready. However, I feel we are right to try to play football the proper way. When you don't win, your principles are questioned but I have the distance to know what is right and wrong. If something is wrong, it is not the problem of playing football. We just have to become more mature in some of the situations when we look too frail."Bolton's goals both came from corners and, when it was put to Wenger that Arsenal were particularly vulnerable at defending set pieces, he conceded it had become a weakness. "I cannot deny that," the Frenchman said.Arsenal are now three points behind the second-placed Chelsea and Wenger said: "The chances [of catching United] now are very minimal. We have to continue to fight to the last game of the season but we have dropped too many points and it is very frustrating because we should have come home with nine points in the last week. We've come back with two and that's been the story of our season. I feel we have got closer this season than last season but that just makes it even more frustrating."Wenger also took a thinly veiled swipe at Bolton, talking of them "playing a cup final a week late" in reference to their 5-0 defeat against Stoke City in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley. There were also angry scenes at the final whistle when Van Persie and Matt Taylor became embroiled in a confrontation on the pitch.

wilshere is the english denilsonthe problem with arsenal is we play with 3 deep lying midfielderscesc is a a deep lyin playmaker ... not an attacking centre mid naturallywilshere only has the quality of a ball winner/ box to box type...despite the premature frenzy over himsong is the archtypal defensive central midfielderdiaby is not a football player
:D :D
  • Upvote 1

wilshere is the english denilsonthe problem with arsenal is we play with 3 deep lying midfielderscesc is a a deep lyin playmaker ... not an attacking centre mid naturallywilshere only has the quality of a ball winner/ box to box type...despite the premature frenzy over himsong is the archtypal defensive central midfielderdiaby is not a football player
I meant to pos you.Anyhow.You should get involved in an Arsenal blog, you got that depth and insight most haven'tKeep up the good work. :D

:D :D

Talent is all there. Responsibility is not there at all, bar Song I don't see anyone in that team that can really switch from attacking mode to defensive at all.Nasri finishing and then his attitude of just running through the motions on boh set-pieces was disgraceful. Smh.

surely the circumstances of deins departure (leaving on bad terms, selling out to the Ruski, and favoring him over Kronkemeans that a more realistic stance is for Wenger to spent a decent wedge of mollah than a return
Wenger needs Dein, and tbh Wenger answered to Dein. Like I said before it Chloe O'Brian & Jack Bauer.The transfer of Koscielny last summer told me a lot about Arsenal, even tho Gazidas is there and is handling certain things, everybody still answers to Arsene.When Keith Edleman is saying it, and he doesnt like either, then f*ck me how the other board members aren't saying for the best of the club we have to bring David back...
Keith Edelman, who, as managing director of Arsenal between 2000- 2008, was one of the principal architects of the Emirates Stadium and who worked alongside Wenger for eight years, is well placed to judge why the commercial success of the club has yet to translate into a winning team. And his verdict is surprising.During his years at the club it was an open secret that he and fellow former director David Dein were often in conflict at a time when money was tight because of loans needed to build the stadium. Edelman frequently stifled Dein's ambitions in the transfer market.Yet now Edelman says Dein was the missing link in Wenger's management team.'During the years we were successful there was an alliance of people at the top who made the club successful - that was David Dein, Arsene and myself,' he said. 'I ran the business side and David and Arsene ran the football side. David did a phenomenal job for the club and I think they miss David's role in encouraging Arsene.'Arsene is naturally cautious and David was always very ambitious for the club. Look at Sol Campbell and how important he was and how expensive he was as an acquisition at a key moment when he won us a lot of trophies. [Campbell signed on a free transfer, but his wages and signing-on fees amounted to about £6million a year, at the time an unprecedented commitment.] I don't see that now.'David was also a great networker. Together with Arsene, David would look at players and get into a position where he felt comfortable [spending money on them]. I used to sit in the boardroom and hear Arsene say, "If you want to win the Premier League, you have to have a world-class goalkeeper".'Well, if that's what he believes, has he actually delivered that? David's importance is probably underestimated as he would make sure we now had a world-class goalkeeper.'The demise of David is probably the reason why [Arsenal have not won more trophies], that and the fact that they haven't made some key signings at some key moments.

I don't see anyone in that team that can really switch from attacking mode to defensive at all.
ela8th.jpgI would happly give Westham Eboue, Denilson, Almunia and Vela plus 15 mill for this guy
Scott Parker is just a honest player. I'm sure Wenger would say, why do I need Scott Parker when I have Jack Wilshere.As great as adding a Gary Cahill, Chris Samba, Scott Parker, etc... Would be I cant help thinking they would just be there to train these players for what they will face, rather than actually play.