Diaby back in full training

8BALL

Abou my man!

Diaby was running the show earlier in the season, offers so much in the middle of the park, totally destroyed Liverpool at Anfield

Can't get too excited but I can't lie, a broad smile covered my face when i scrolled down and saw his pics (yes homo, i love diaby)

• Downvote 1

What did u expect, after 3months out?

I agree with Wenger, he got stronger as the game went on..at 1st he seemed reluctant to burst into a run and his stride was lacking..I personally wouldn't have started the boy but it was a good run out for the lad..

Arsene Wenger has admitted that Abou Diaby is facing a make-or-break season.

French midfielder Diaby’s Arsenal career has been blighted by injury and Wenger insists lesser committed players would have quit long ago.

Diaby, who has 18 months left on his contract, has struggled ever since his horrific leg break at Sunderland nearly seven years ago which nearly ended his career.

The powerful 26-year-old, likened to Patrick Vieira when he first arrived, took more than a year to come back, missed most of last season and has already missed four months of this term.

Wenger admits that it is now or never for Diaby and they will make a decision on his Arsenal future at the end of the season.

The frustration for Wenger is knowing Diaby’s huge potential has been held back by injury but he insists he still has faith that he can prove his value to the squad for the remainder of this season.

Wenger said: “It is a big period for him. He is conscious of it. He does everything, but you do not want to put any pressure on him because he has enough. He puts himself under so much pressure, Abou.

“He is a very conscientious guy. You should see how he works, how he is focussed every day, because when a guy suffers as much as he did he becomes very professional, very rigorous.

“You have some guys, they can drink five beers, come to training, and play and go home and nothing happens to them. And you have other guys who have to look after everything.

“When you have a guy who is injured a lot, and he has not a serious life, you can say ‘you see, you are punished’.

“With Diaby, he has a very serious life, doesn’t drink, doesn’t smoke, doesn’t go out, and is very conscientious in training. So you always feel sorry for him, so you always touch wood it will go well for him.

“Of course (lesser players would have given up). Honestly, what he has gone through is unbelievable.”

Wenger did admit to feeling an even greater loyalty towards Diaby because he feels the nature of the original injury was so unjust and is at the root of all the subsequent problems.

“It is frustrating because it all started with a bad tackle at Sunderland, in the last minute of the game, of the last game of the season, which was decided already,” Wenger said.

“So you always think ‘One thing that was so stupid can have such an impact on a career of such a big player. When he plays at his best, of course. Arsenal have a different dimension.

“If you love football and you see a player like Abou, you want him to have the career he deserves, especially when he has the attitude that he has.

“You are in a position where you have to have patience. Because what did he do wrong? Nothing. At least you have to give him a chance.”

Wenger thrust Diaby straight into the line-up after four months out and that shows his faith and how much he rates him as a player.

The Gunners boss, set to start with Diaby again at Chelsea on Sunday, says his countryman is so talented that when fully fit he would be the first name on their homeland's team sheet.

Wenger added: “I am not the only one who says that. In France, everybody says that.

“He can defend, he can attack. He is strong in the challenge. He can dribble. He can pass players. He is very quick in the transition, offence, defence. When you win the ball he cn cross the pitch quickly. And he is good in the air.

“Once you put all these qualities together… and he is a fighter. With great stamina. So when you put all these qualities together… Of course I would put him next to Jack (Wilshere).

• 2 weeks later...