Suarez found guilty of racially abusing evra

Guest petercrotch

Luis Suarez to be suspended for eight matches.

Liverpool FC have this afternoon [Tuesday 3 January 2012] informed The FA that they will not be appealing the decision of an Independent Regulatory Commission in relation to the recently proven misconduct charge against Luis Suarez.

Suarez will be suspended with immediate effect for a period of eight matches, starting with this evening’s fixture against Manchester City. Suarez was also fined £40,000 and was warned as to his future conduct.

says everything you need to know.

It is our strongly held conviction that the Football Association and the panel it selected constructed a highly subjective case against Luis Suarez based on an accusation that was ultimately unsubstantiated.

The FA and the panel chose to consistently and methodically accept and embrace arguments leading to a set of conclusions that found Mr. Suarez to "probably" be guilty while in the same manner deciding to completely dismiss the testimony that countered their overall suppositions.

Mr. Evra was deemed to be credible in spite of admitting that he himself used insulting and threatening words towards Luis and that his initial charge as to the word used was somehow a mistake.

The facts in this case were that an accusation was made, a rebuttal was given and there was video of the match. The remaining facts came from testimony of people who did not corroborate any accusation made by Mr. Evra.

In its determination to prove its conclusions to the public through a clearly subjective 115-page document, the FA panel has damaged the reputation of one the Premier League's best players, deciding he should be punished and banned for perhaps a quarter of a season. This case has also provided a template in which a club's rival can bring about a significant ban for a top player without anything beyond an accusation.

Nevertheless, there are ultimately larger issues than whether or not Luis Suarez has been treated fairly by the Football Association in this matter. There are important points we want to make today that overshadow what has occurred during the past two months.

The issue of race in sports, as in other industries, has a very poor history. Far too often, and in far too many countries, the issues of racism and discrimination have been covered over or ignored.

In America, where Liverpool ownership resides, there was a shameful bigotry that prevented black athletes from competing at the highest levels for decades.

English football has led the world in welcoming all nationalities and creeds into its Premier League and its leagues below, and Liverpool Football Club itself has been a leader in taking a progressive stance on issues of race and inclusion. The Luis Suarez case has to end so that the Premier League, the Football Association and the Club can continue the progress that has been made and will continue to be made and not risk a perception, at least by some, that would diminish our commitment on these issues.

Liverpool Football Club have supported Luis Suarez because we fundamentally do not believe that Luis on that day - or frankly any other - did or would engage in a racist act. Notably, his actions on and off the pitch with his teammates and in the community have demonstrated his belief that all athletes can play together and that the colour of a person's skin is irrelevant.

Continuing a fight for justice in this particular case beyond today would only obscure the fact that the Club wholeheartedly supports the efforts of the Football Association, the Football League and the Premier League to put an end to any form of racism in English football.

It is time to put the Luis Suarez matter to rest and for all of us, going forward, to work together to stamp out racism in every form both inside and outside the sport.

It is for this reason that we will not appeal the eight-game suspension of Luis Suarez.

@ Flojo

Por Que, Negro?

The FA weren't going to overturn it given how much noise they've made about setting the standard for dealing with racism in football, I thought the best thing to do was to get it taken to a real court because there is no way the charge would have stood. Given that they've backed down now I think it's half hearted and a mistake because now regardless of the statement saying they don't think Suarez was in the wrong, the general consensus will be they think he was.

I know that they will have factored in how it will affect sponsorships etc but for me you either back it fully or you don't, his reputation is finished and he'll likely feel like he's been let down. They decided to take the punishment rather than risk the ban being increased and whilst I understand it I don't back it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Statement from Luis Suarez

First of all I would like to thank everyone so much for all the help and support I have received during these last few weeks.

Thank you to my family, my friends and everybody at LFC (the staff, manager and coaching staff, the directors, my team mates and everyone who is working on a daily basis for this great club) and thank you especially to all the fans who made sure I never felt let down for one second. During those days I understood more than ever what 'You'll Never Walk Alone' means.

Like many of you I was born into a very humble family, in a working class neighbourhood, in a small country. But I was born and raised learning what respect, manners and sacrifice mean. Thanks to my family, from my first club where I started playing, to my transfer to Holland in Europe, I learned the values which made me the person I am now. Never, I repeat, never, have I had any racial problem with a team mate or individual who was of a different race or colour to mine. Never.

I am very upset by all the things which have been said during the last few weeks about me, all of them being very far from the truth. But above all, I'm very upset at feeling so powerless whilst being accused of something which I did not, nor would not, ever do.

In my country, 'negro' is a word we use commonly, a word which doesn't show any lack of respect and is even less so a form of racist abuse. Based on this, everything which has been said so far is totally false.

I will carry out the suspension with the resignation of someone who hasn't done anything wrong and who feels extremely upset by the events. I do feel sorry for the fans and for my team mates whom I will not be able to help during the next month. It will be a very difficult time for me.

The only thing I wish for at the moment is being able to run out again at Anfield and to do what I like most which is playing football.

Thank you very much.

YNWA

At this stage Liverpool have already shown distain for the whole thing from the start, and never took a claim of racism seriously, appealing the decision was the natural course of action,

That statement in 100% terms means we don't want to appeal because it may affect out commercial and fan popularity around the world.

Maybe the owner/people in charge have regained their common senses.

Or maybe they've employed a PR man worth his salt.

I was hoping for a paragraph in that Suarez statement saying, that although the word is commonly used in Uraguay i now understand that it is deemed offensive in this country, but regardless I meant no offence but can understand why Mr Evra was offended by it, and I'd like to again reiterate that I meant no racial offence by it.

But ahh well.

Kinda strange to announce it now when we are playing man city tonight, could of done it tomorrow so he could of played.

Lol,

Not strange at all you know.

Only thing less strange than this is if he had played, scored an owngoal and give away a penalty or two.

The following is a transcript from the Liverpool press conference after the Anfield club's 3-0 defeat at Manchester City on Tuesday night:

Reporter: "Kenny, the wider world is pretty shocked that, if a player can call someone 'negro' and the player who is the victim in this takes offence, that there is no apology or contrition offered from your club."

Dalglish: "I would have thought that, if you pronounced the word properly, you maybe understand it better. I think it was Spanish he was speaking and I don't think you were speaking Spanish there."

Reporter: "OK, if a player calls someone 'negro' [spanish pronunciation], surely the player who takes offence deserves an apology?"

Dalglish: "Ask a linguistic expert, which certainly I am not. They will tell you that the part of the country in Uruguay where he [Luis Suárez] comes from, it is perfectly acceptable. His wife calls him that and I don't think he is offended by her. We have made a statement and I think it is there for everybody to read. Luis has made a brilliant statement and we will stand by him."

Reporter: "But the FA verdict said it was 'simply incredible' to suggest it wasn't used in an offensive way when they were clearly arguing and it wasn't friendly."

Dalglish: "There's a lot of things we'd like to say and a lot we could say but we would only get ourselves in trouble. We are not trying to be evasive … well, we are being evasive because we don't like getting ourselves in trouble. But we know what has gone on. We know what is not in the report and that's important for us. So without me getting ourselves in trouble, I think that's it finished."

Reporter: "Why take the ban now and not play the next three games, including the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester City?"

Dalglish: "He could have played for a fortnight but he has to serve eight games at some stage and this time is as good as any, isn't it? It was better to get the situation over and done with."

Reporter: "Mark Lawrenson was saying on the radio that you've got to fear now whether Suárez may feel unsettled playing in England. Is that a concern?"

Dalglish: "Because Mark Lawrenson said it? No. I don't see why we have to reply to anybody. If you're asking if I have any concern about Luis playing in England, then no."

Reporter: "Is he strong enough?"

Dalglish: "I don't have a problem with Luis playing in England."

Reporter: "Do you regret wearing the T-shirts?"

Dalglish: "You see, if one of you guys were in trouble, would you help him? Would you support him if you knew the truth and you knew it was right? Would you support him?"

Reporter: "But not with T-shirts when he has been found guilty …"

Dalglish: "Why not? If they want to show their support for their team-mate, what's wrong with that? It was a fabulous statement to make visually of their support for a guy who is endeared in the dressing room, one of their closest friends in the dressing room, and all of his friends in the dressing room can speak up adequately and perfectly well for him. And I think it is very dangerous and unfortunate that you don't actually know the whole content of what went on at the hearing. I'm not prepared, and I can't say it, but I am just saying it is really unfortunate you never got to hear it. That's all I'm saying."

Reporter: "Kenny, given how the wider public are so opposed to your view, what do you have to lose by telling us and revealing what you're saying was not included in the FA statement?"

Dalglish: "It's up to the club to decide what they want to do."

Reporter: "But if you have something to say, surely say it – because the alternative is you are digging a bigger hole for yourself?"

Dalglish: "I don't think we are digging a bigger hole but I just think it's unfortunate we can't be more forthcoming. That's the unfortunate thing."

Reporter: "In your two statements you basically accused the FA of a conspiracy against your club."

Dalglish: "So they have made a statement then …"

Liverpool press officer intervenes and asks for no more questions on Suárez.

Reporter: "The hearing was to lay out all the evidence, 115 pages of evidence, and you have said they [the FA] have done it subjectively. So why do you think the FA are targeting Liverpool and Suárez?"

Dalglish: "Maybe wrong place, wrong time. It could have been anybody. I can't answer for the FA, you ask them."

Reporter: "You think there is an agenda against Liverpool?"

Dalglish: "No. You said that. I never. You get yourself in trouble, I'm all right."

Reporter: "Are you concerned Suárez's first game back could be at Old Trafford?"

Dalglish: "I'll just be delighted to get him back."

Mr Suarez denied the Charge. His case, in short, was as follows. He agreed with Mr Evra

that they spoke to each other in Spanish in the goalmouth. When Mr Evra asked why he

had kicked him, Mr Suarez replied that it was a normal foul and shrugged his shoulders.

Mr Evra then said that he was going to kick Mr Suarez, to which Mr Suarez told him to

shut up. As Mr Kuyt was approaching, Mr Suarez touched Mr Evra's left arm in a

pinching style movement. According to Mr Suarez, at no point in the goalmouth did he

use the word "negro". When the referee blew his whistle to stop play, Mr Evra spoke to Mr

Suarez and said (in English) "Don't touch me, South American". Mr Suarez replied "Por

que, negro?". He says that he used the word “negro” in a way with which he was familiar

from his upbringing in Uruguay. In this sense, Mr Suarez claimed, it is used as a noun and

as a friendly form of address to people seen as black or brown-skinned (or even just blackhaired). Thus, it meant "Why, black?" Mr Suarez maintained that when he said "Por que,

negro?" to Mr Evra, it was intended in a conciliatory and friendly way. Mr Suarez said this

was the only time that he used the word “negro” in his exchanges with Mr Evra during the match.

You think he's telling the truth Flojo?

Mr Suarez denied the Charge. His case, in short, was as follows. He agreed with Mr Evra

that they spoke to each other in Spanish in the goalmouth. When Mr Evra asked why he

had kicked him, Mr Suarez replied that it was a normal foul and shrugged his shoulders.

Mr Evra then said that he was going to kick Mr Suarez, to which Mr Suarez told him to

shut up. As Mr Kuyt was approaching, Mr Suarez touched Mr Evra's left arm in a

pinching style movement. According to Mr Suarez, at no point in the goalmouth did he

use the word "negro". When the referee blew his whistle to stop play, Mr Evra spoke to Mr

Suarez and said (in English) "Don't touch me, South American". Mr Suarez replied "Por

que, negro?". He says that he used the word “negro” in a way with which he was familiar

from his upbringing in Uruguay. In this sense, Mr Suarez claimed, it is used as a noun and

as a friendly form of address to people seen as black or brown-skinned (or even just blackhaired). Thus, it meant "Why, black?" Mr Suarez maintained that when he said "Por que,

negro?" to Mr Evra, it was intended in a conciliatory and friendly way. Mr Suarez said this

was the only time that he used the word “negro” in his exchanges with Mr Evra during the match.

You think he's telling the truth Flojo?

Evra said he called him it 10 times at first, then he said 5 and the FA charged him based on saying it 7 times.

This was in the 6 yard box when a corner was being taken and De Gea who was stood next to him heard nada.

No other player heard anything.

No match official heard anything.

There's no video footage.

There's no audio.

Make up your own mind.

/

Judging by what Dalglish said it doesn't sound like he agrees with the decision not to appeal, this could cause a problem if it's a decision that came from above him.

• Downvote 1