'I can teach you how to speak my language - Rosetta Stone'

RaiKkoNen

:rofl:

trust me

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1p2hq9MzQM[/media]

worst thing is i drew one ok looking spanish girl some time last summer (in glasgow)...then got fed up with her broken english - im talking below feet finger paint level - for some reason thought it was a good idea to delete her number. the face palm i gave myself yesterday when i went to look for her in my phone

I have almost finished all 3 levels of Brazilian Portuguese and can say anyone who thinks they can learn an entire language off it solely is going to be disappointed. There needs to be additional learning through reading, conversing and learning about grammar and culture. I haven't used Rosetta stone for a while and still learnt a considerable amount through my own individual learning.

dont bother learning a language if you havent or dont plan to go the country on a regs

the way ive heard people talk about learning spanish and french over the last 5 years

knowing theyve only been to said country 2x for 3 days. kmt

if thats why you're buying roessta stone dont blame them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Looking to finally learn something now

Tired of only being able to speak one language

But still deciding which one before I dedicate hours and months/years to it

Probably be out of

Spanish

German 

French

So far I am thinking Germany due to money reasons but always had a thing for the Spanish language and French being widely spoken to 

Hmmm

Probably be out of

Spanish

German 

French

So far I am thinking Germany due to money reasons but always had a thing for the Spanish language and French being widely spoken to 

Hmmm

Fam!

Probably be out of

Spanish

German

French

Hmmm

I'm starting up Spanish soon. If I master that then I will move onto French.

I speak a few languages now cos of work (at different levels of fluency)

Rosetta Stone has a few pros and cons

You really have to be consistent with it and put in the hours though otherwise you won't remember anything.

It's good for hearing the language in terms of how to pronounce things/intonation/accent etc and gives you exposure on actually hearing the language which prepares you for speaking with people - for me it's always harder at first to understand what people are saying than for me to get them to understand me

Gives a decent range of vocabulary (some languages go further than others, although I never actually finished a program)

Problem is because there's no formal teaching method or focus on grammar it is a bit out of context. You kind of learn set phrases and sentences but if you don't have a solid understanding of the rules of a language you'll never be able to improvise and improve once you actually get to using it (in my experience anyway). Eg RS never actually explains how to use the past/future/etc tenses, it just kind of shows you. IMO you need to have a grammar book as well to drill that stuff so that you have a solid base

It doesn't really prepare you for speaking with native speakers - people don't speak their languages "correctly" a lot of the time and it's difficult to understand different people's voices (hard to explain what I mean).

Obviously there's no substitute for actually being in a country and being exposed to the language and being around native speakers. That's the only real way to improve and get fluent - to see how other people speak and learn from mistakes and get confidence speaking. RS def gives a good base though and is worth the time IMO. I got a solid grip on Spanish before spending time working in Spanish speaking environments and I know for a fact it helped (although I was also using books)