Sign in to follow this  
Toney Barton

Spotify

http://forgotify.com/

A new music streaming service that only plays songs that no-one has listened to on Spotify has been launched.

According to data released by Spotify only 80% of the 20 million songs on its site have been listened to at least once.

I'm a recent convert

Signed up when it was 99p a month for 3 months

Best thing I have found is that I'm now listening to a wider variety of genres and checking out a lot more random music.

been using it for a few years

good app you find everything on there

best for social get togethers or work when we are closing i get to play my tunes

Been contemplating getting on it for a while - in terms of offline playlists; say if I was to have 3,000 songs on it would it take up as much memory on my phone as just 3,000 songs in my itunes? Also, can the playlists be split out by artist/album etc?

Probably daft questions but couldn't find a straight answer

You choose the encoding, 96kbps, 160kbps, or 320 kbps, all OGG Vorbis.

iTunes from the store is 256kbps (in AAC), the favoured bitrate for MP3 these days is 320kbps (if you ask people who care), though if you've got music you had from from early 2000s it will probably be lower quality MP3 than that (~192kbps).

256kbps in AAC is supposed to be as good quality as 320kbps MP3. No one really uses OGG (other than Spotify) so you don't really get popular opinions about the format, but one would imagine 160kbps is good enough for mobile listening (really you'd need an amp attached to your mobile device to really appreciate high quality audio).

So.... if you choose 160kbps, it will be less space than your iTunes library. 320kbps will be probably be larger.

Spotify's on a 2 month free trial.

Once Apple Music drops it'll be on a 3 month free trial, and they'll have it on Android in Autumn - though no actual date for a UK release given yet.

Spotify's on a 2 month free trial.

Once Apple Music drops it'll be on a 3 month free trial, and they'll have it on Android in Autumn - though no actual date for a UK release given yet.

2 Month trial for Premium?

2 months premium for new signups, pretty sure you can use a new email if you want to sign up again

also you can get student discount which is 50% off premium

Quality 96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute. (Only in Mobile these days)
Quality 160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute. (Free, Unlimited, Premium)
Quality 320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute. (Only Premium at Desktop, mobile streaming in this quality coming soon)

like I did with Google Play Music, I'd just download playlists/albums for offline usage

Please keep in mind, if you stream online music one hour in day and in month 31 days it will be:

96 kbps: 43 MB in hour, 1339 MB (1.3 GB) in month.

160 kbps: 72 MB in hour, 2232 MB (2.2 GB) in month.

320 kbps: 144 MB in hour, 4464 MB (4.4 GB) in month.

SoundCloud will release a subscription service later this year

has potential to bring something new, but at the same time I can see it confusing the existing Soundcloud system, will be interesting to see what happens

thing is as it is, their current service isn't great for discovery, hopefully that'd get cleaned up with their subscription service

when's Youtube Music coming out as well?