The General Gym/Healthier Food Thread

Heero Yuy

Na unless your real fussy you should like it, I buy the mixed pack with bulgar wheat - 

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Mixed-Quinoa-with-Bulgar-Wheat-Waitrose-Love-Life/77761011?from=search&tags&param=quinoa&parentContainer=SEARCHquinoa_SHELFVIEW

I make a big batch with peppers, onions, chilli, feta cheese (and whatever else I can find) then olive oil and lemon juice, its even better the next day once its soaked up all the flavours. Its a standard lunch for me with some salmon or chicken. 

Over brown rice its higher in fibre, protein and classed as a 'super food' plus being easier and quicker to prepare its worth a go if your into your diet. 

No.. Being in a calorie surplus does.. All them carbs arent needed and will make you put on unnessassary fat .. But up to you lol

People think bulking is just carb loading till theyre sizey then ripping but if you don't do it properly you're just going to put on fat then lose that fat when 'cuttin' and be where you started

Bulking = calorie surplus

Cuttin = calorie deficit

How much of a surplus or deficit differs with every person thats why you have a starting point and keep pushing it to see how your body reacts to it by monitoring your body fat percentage along with your weight till you know whats right for you

With me, i need around 2700 calories a day to bulk effectively and about 2300 to cut and lose body fat without losing the muscle mass iv put on

No.. Being in a calorie surplus does.. All them carbs arent needed and will make you put on unnessassary fat .. But up to you lol

People think bulking is just carb loading till theyre sizey then ripping but if you don't do it properly you're just going to put on fat then lose that fat when 'cuttin' and be where you started

This know it all attitude is annoying, especially since you aren't an ectomorph so know nothing about bulking as one.

Didnt say i know it all hence the "up to you" .. My dad was a PT/nutritionist for 20 years and used to compete in natural body building

The info is the same for any body type.. Only difference is how much of a surplus or deficit ull need

People on here remind me of the dons in the gym giving advice on diets yet they havent even got decent abs with their 20% BF, laughable

Like iv said before.. Look up people like rich pina, hodge twins, mike rashid, ct fletcher and a lot of youtube heads in serious shape and they pretty much will be saying the same interms of diet

But you aren't your dad bro.

Your answer was doesn't take into account of body types, it's not a 'Upto you' thing its a 'you should take into account your body type'

Ectos as you know find weight and muscle gain diffcult but hold little fat and can burn it ridculous quickly. As a ecto we need to try and keep our bodys in an anabolic state, which we do with complex carbs! If we gain any fat at all we can burn it quickly with Cardio, the last thing an ecto has to worry about is gaining fat during bulking.

Lol like i had a choice but to learn it all from young.. My dad had me in the gym even when i hated it..

Like i said mate its all about calorie surplus and deficit, you can turn it technical and complicate if you want but theres no need to .. You dont have to worry about shoving carbs in, just keep a record of how many calories you need to maintain your weight, then consume more than that.. The opposite when cutting.

Eg if you needed 2500 cals to maintain your weight like.. Consuming 2700-2800 of anything will make you put on the nessessary weight you need (obviously ud need to incorporate protein for muscle repair and some carbs for energy , banging 3200 calories in is just putting on unnessassary fat that ull have to work harder to lose when cutting

Isit common tho, thats my point

Little bit of consumption, BF and weight monitoring can save a lot of time and effort.. When people 'wing it' and just shove in carbs for the sake of it, its not that it isnt working its just doing more work than you need to if that makes sense, not saying youre wrong, just saying theres an easier way

I think you need to realise that peoples body work differently. Haven't you met someone who eats crap but never puts on anyone weight then you meet someone who eats bad for a week and puts on 6lbs on fat... You telling me you'd tell these two people to bulk the exact same way yeah, eatin the exact same foods ?

No, my comment wasnt even aimed at you, it was aimed at mgeez and what i was tryin to get at was when bulking you dont need to pile in carbs, jump on the scales to see youve gained a few pounds and think its working, that diet plan might be the perfect amount of calories for you to put on muscle mass without putting on too much fat but no point people saying theyre going to copy it because everyones diet plan should be exact to the way their body works

I cant take anyones seriously on diet talk if they dont know the amount of calories their body needs when bulking and the amount their body need to cut without losing muscle.. Also someone who doesn't know their BF %.. Weighing scales mean nothing and so do mirrors

Current Regime

6:00 - Bowl of Museli with full fat milk, sliced Banana's
8:30 - 2/3 Peices of brown toast 
11:30 - 2/3 boiled eggs + Fruit
13:30 - Sandwich Chicken or Chirzo with cheese
15:30 - Whole wheat pasta / Egg noodles with Sweetcorn / Mackrel Fillets Or Chicken
6:00 - GYM
08:00 - Brown Rice + Sweat potato topped with baked beans  with chicken thighs or Salmon / Haddock Fillets
10:30 - Optional (peanuts or couple slices of toast or scrambled eggs or half a can of tuna etc)

Heavy carbs diet as I'm forever bulking

Bro thats crazy carbs are you not suffering from oily skin?

Ive had to cut out carbs since i noticed my skin was becoming way too oily.

Its not something you can just work out straight away (although there are some estimate formulas out there).. Start by seeing what your BF % and overall weight is then count your cal intake and you wanna be maintaining the same BF and weight (give or take a couple lbs).. Then when you know the amount you need to maintain weight you just drop it or raise it a few 100 cals when cutting or bulking.. Its easier in the long run because if you put on too much unnecessary fat ull just have to work extra hard when cutting

Keeping an eye on BF % is helpful in a lot of ways tho

the style that you train also has a big effect on your body.. Some people do high reps, low weight.. Some do heavy weight for 6 reps.. Some do medium weight for 10-12 reps.. Some mix it up.. I do a lot of reps with a lower weight.. Also a lot of super sets and drop sets which keeps me ripped even when on a calorie surplus

• 3 weeks later...

Turkey Chunks - 107Kcal / 22.3g Protein / 0.8g Fat per 100g pack. I back atleast 2 packets a day easily.

http://www.bernardmatthewsfarms.com/light_turkey_chunks.htm

Fage Total Yogurt Split Pots - 120Kcal / 11g Protein / 0g Fat. Nice litte treat with a good protein source. Gace

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274579166

Quark is also good but i replaced it with the Fage yogurt above cos it tasted better.

Few pages late but quinoa is nice to shove in a meal

Lackin in carbs compared to brown rice, pasta etc tho

Duno how u can really analyse heeros carb intake when he ain't posted up the portions

Currently on a 3000 calorie diet n its pretty rough

Seein nice results but the gut is becoming a problem

as tempting as it sounds to not be crying into a bowl of rice every night

my mrs is a nutritionist / personal trainer n she did the maths so im gona follow orders

oi this myfitnesspal app is decent for tracking what u eat

big database of foods so u jus wack in what ur eating n it adds it all up for u n compares it with ur targets

i kno the general consensus is to not be too strict with it but once u get used to weighing up shit its pretty easy

otherwise its pure guesswork