International Break - September 2012

User

this weekend was the final round of qualifications for african nations 13, there is a home and away leg, libya had to play their home leg in morocco cos their country isnt safe. 2nd leg is october 12 in algeria.

Zambie 1-0 Ouganda

Centrafrique 1-0 Burkina Faso

Gabon 1-1 Togo

Ghana 2-0 Malawi

Sierra Leone 2-2 Tunisie

Côte d'Ivoire 4-2 Sénégal

Mali 3-0 Botswana

Cap-Vert 2-0 Cameroun

Soudan 5-3 Ethiopie

Liberia 2-2 Nigeria

Mozambique 2-0 Maroc

Zimbabwe 3-1 Angola

RD Congo 4-0 Guinée équatoriale

Guinée 1-0 Niger

Libye 0-1 Algérie.

world cup qualifiers have started, everyones played 2 so far, algeria beat rwanda 4-0 and lost to mali 2-1

ZLATAN>>

Quote Of The Day

"We usually say that you cannot become a legend before death. But I am a living legend - at least in Malmo" - Zlatan Ibrahimovic reacts in typically humble style after being given a spot on the 'walk of fame' outside the Swedbank Stadium in Malmo. And we wouldn't have him any other way.

England manager Roy Hodgson has called Raheem Sterling into his England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine.

The news comes hours after Jamaica admitted they planned to hold talks with the Liverpool starlet about representing them.

Tottenham's Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana of Southampton have also been added after Theo Walcott withdrew and Daniel Sturridge missed training on Monday.

A statement from the FA read: 'Theo Walcott has returned to Arsenal having woken on Monday morning with illness. Daniel Sturridge was forced to sit out of training also due to stomach cramps, but the England medical team are hopeful he will be available for Tuesday evening.

'Southampton's Adam Lallana, Tottenham Hotspur's Jake Livermore and Liverpool's Raheem Sterling will all join the squad.'

Sterling's call-up is unlikely to go down well with his club manager Brendan Rodgers who last week said the midfielder should remain with the Under 19 squad.

‘I think with young players you have to be careful,’ he said. ‘They can be elevated above their station too quickly. That is a part of it in this country. They have one good game and they get elevated into superstar status.

‘You then see them at 23 and 24 and wonder why they are not superstars any more. I spoke to Trevor Booking on the thoughts of where the FA believes Raheem is at. I said, in my opinion, of course he has got the ability to be in the Under 21s.

‘But I believe in many ways it is right for him to go with the Under-19s.'

Meanwhile, Jamaica boss Theodore Whitmore wants Sterling to make the switch to the country of his birth and help spearhead their World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign.

'We definitely showed an interest in Sterling before and we are just waiting on him now for the go-ahead,' former Hull and Tranmere star Whitmore told STAR Sports after Jamaica's 2-1 weekend win over USA.

'We have seen him a number of times, he is a quality player with a lot to offer this programme, but it’s up to him and the door is open.

'I don’t want to go into any further details but, as I said, he is definitely someone we have our eyes on and it’s all up to him now.'

Stuart Pearce will ask Roy Hodgson if he will consider releasing Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to give England’s Under-21s quest to reach Euro 2013 maximum assistance.

The Young Lions secured a place in next month’s play-offs by beating Azerbaijan 2-0 in Baku last week but they need a draw from Monday night's final game against Norway in Chesterfield to finish top of Group 8.

Should they clinch that point, England will not be paired with heavyweight nations France, Germany, Spain and Holland when the draw is made in Switzerland on Friday but, even still, there is potential for them to receive an awkward assignment against nations such as Serbia or Russia.

With that in mind, Pearce will hold discussions with Hodgson about who he will be able to include when naming his squad, as full internationals like Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kyle Walker, Phil Jones and Danny Welbeck are eligible for selection.

Arsenal’s Oxlade-Chamberlain played a key role helping the Under-21s get this qualification campaign off to an impressive start but he has made rapid strides since then and starred in the 5-0 win over Moldova on Friday.

Given England face World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland on the same dates as the Under-21 play-offs, his services could be required elsewhere.

‘That call comes from Roy,’ said Pearce. ‘If somewhere down the line the England manager says he isn’t going to use this player or that player, and he could be of use to you, my conversation and relationship with Roy is going to be paramount.

‘Oxlade-Chamberlain is with the seniors, so too is (Jack) Butland. Kyle Walker can still play, so can Phil Jones and Danny Welbeck. When you go through the pool, you will see it is pretty good.

‘But Roy giving the chance to Chamberlain to go and play, along with Welbeck and the others. If they play well, they stay in the seniors. That is how it works.’

Pearce has been without Butland for these games but that decision came after Pearce and Hodgson spoke about what would be more beneficial for the highly-rated Birmingham to gain an understanding of the senior set up.

‘We have spoken about Butland, his future and where we see him,’ said Pearce, who has described his fledgling relationship with Hodgson as being “very good”.

‘The closer I can work with Roy is going to be vital. It will not only be of benefit to the team, but also to the players.

‘Butland is a case in point. He has played a lot of football at international level but not much club football. I spoke to Roy about that a week ago. I told him I wanted to start Jason Steele against Azerbaijan. I had no intention of playing Jack in that game.

‘Between us we decided that he stayed with the seniors where his experience would be better suited. October might be completely different. The players here should have an expectation of getting into the senior squad.’

First, however, the squad’s expectations are to win Group 8. England have been almost foot perfect in qualifying, with six victories – including a 2-1 verdict over Norway in Drammen last October – from seven matches. The only defeat came in Mons against Belgium in November.

‘It’s vital that we top the group,’ said Pearce. ‘If that’s not the case, then we’ll assess the situation again. The powerhouses of Europe are looking as though they are going to finish top of their groups. So if you are going to be involved Pot B, you are going to have a tough game on your hands.

‘We had a great win in Norway. We need another one now.’

England manager Roy Hodgson has called Raheem Sterling into his England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine.

The news comes hours after Jamaica admitted they planned to hold talks with the Liverpool starlet about representing them.

Tottenham's Jake Livermore and Adam Lallana of Southampton have also been added after Theo Walcott withdrew and Daniel Sturridge missed training on Monday.

A statement from the FA read: 'Theo Walcott has returned to Arsenal having woken on Monday morning with illness. Daniel Sturridge was forced to sit out of training also due to stomach cramps, but the England medical team are hopeful he will be available for Tuesday evening.

'Southampton's Adam Lallana, Tottenham Hotspur's Jake Livermore and Liverpool's Raheem Sterling will all join the squad.'

Sterling's call-up is unlikely to go down well with his club manager Brendan Rodgers who last week said the midfielder should remain with the Under 19 squad.

‘I think with young players you have to be careful,’ he said. ‘They can be elevated above their station too quickly. That is a part of it in this country. They have one good game and they get elevated into superstar status.

‘You then see them at 23 and 24 and wonder why they are not superstars any more. I spoke to Trevor Booking on the thoughts of where the FA believes Raheem is at. I said, in my opinion, of course he has got the ability to be in the Under 21s.

‘But I believe in many ways it is right for him to go with the Under-19s.'

Meanwhile, Jamaica boss Theodore Whitmore wants Sterling to make the switch to the country of his birth and help spearhead their World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign.

'We definitely showed an interest in Sterling before and we are just waiting on him now for the go-ahead,' former Hull and Tranmere star Whitmore told STAR Sports after Jamaica's 2-1 weekend win over USA.

'We have seen him a number of times, he is a quality player with a lot to offer this programme, but it’s up to him and the door is open.

'I don’t want to go into any further details but, as I said, he is definitely someone we have our eyes on and it’s all up to him now.'

Only done this to void him playing for Jamaica

Roy had a go at Oxlade for showboating in training :rofl:

"he revealed Hodgson had reprimanded him for showboating in a training session during Euro 2012, and he continues to soak up the advice of those around him within the squad"

tumblr_ma11y0HQm11qi532yo2_250.giftumblr_ma11y0HQm11qi532yo4_250.giftumblr_ma11y0HQm11qi532yo8_250.giftumblr_ma11y0HQm11qi532yo9_250.gif

Took him three attempts.

Szczesny parred him tho...

tumblr_ma1s2akz2D1r6ibubo1_500.gif

tumblr_ma1zahwMAy1qi532yo3_500.gif

No respect.

• Upvote 1

I just saw that Brazil announced an all domestic based squad for their two games against Argentina, starting next week.

Which made me think how would international football fair if all countries had to do this for international squads, obviously it would weaken certain leagues but surely it would improve international ball.