Week 27 - 12/13 - Premier League & League Cup Final

User

If sport is not about the glory, then what is its purpose?

Plenty of people will argue that Nathan Dyer’s behaviour bordered on petulant at Wembley yesterday when he was denied the chance to complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

But not me.

Let me give you the salient facts: No one has ever scored a hat-trick in a League Cup final; Dyer himself has never bagged a treble; Swansea did not have a designated penalty taker and the Welsh side had already cruised into a 3-0 lead.

Tell me why he wasn’t handed the ball, even if just to keep the peace?

I am sick to the back teeth of people on the fringes of sport criticising those who act in the heat of the moment.

Think you’ve been clipped so take a dive? Fine by me. Commit a professional foul to deny a sure-fire goal? Go ahead. Handle on the line and give your keeper the chance to save the spot-kick? Knock yourself out.

Who are we to condemn Dyer for wanting his share of the headlines? Yes, football is a team game but we all crave the spotlight as individuals. I suspect the tricky winger is no different.

Dyer has done his fair share of bench warming this season and I’m sure that was part of his frustration. He might never get the chance to grace a cup final at Wembley again.

Jonathan de Guzman had nothing to gain by taking the penalty himself. The showpiece occasion, billed as some sort of football love-in beforehand, was a mismatch from the first whistle.

Bradford were not going to produce a rabbit from a hat this time; the romance had fizzled out of this cup final the minute Dyer slid home the opening goal.

And De Guzman had already shone in such a game having helped Feyenoord lift the Dutch equivalent of the FA Cup in 2008.

He’d had his moment in the spotlight – yesterday was Dyer’s turn.

• Upvote 2

AVB doesnt rate BAE

:lol: