Moyes Gone

HangTheDJ

Love hearing Van Gaal hear that he trusts youth and isn't afraid to drop senior players

Really good news for the likes of Rafael, Zaha, Powell, Lingard, Janajuz, Cleverley, Will Keane, Wilson and Welbeck

4-3-3

----------------RVP/Welbs--------

-Mata/Adnan----------------Nani.--

----------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------

----------------Kagawa.------------

----Carrick/Carvalho---NEW----

???

Van Gaal's vision seeks to recreate football Utopia

The World Cup in Brazil next summer will be the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich's last stand as Netherlands boss. Mohamed Moallim discusses why principles will always come first for the departing Dutch chief...

If one word could describe Louis van Gaal (and there are plenty), it's 'fundamentalist'. His coaching philosophy, as far as he's concerned, is the right approach. As

Frank de Boer put it last season, "He's open to other ideas, but they must understand he won't budge."

Unwavering is an understatement. "I am who I am; confident, arrogant, dominant, honest, hard-working and innovative," he once declared. For the Amsterdam native, the journey to Brazil has been two decades in the making. Now he is in the final preparations for the chance to shine on the greatest stage.

A testament is the many coaches who cite him as a reference point. The most prominent outside of the Netherlands are Marcelo Bielsa and Pep Guardiola. "When executed properly it is winning football," beamed Bielsa, who has never hid his admiration for the Dutchman. "My jaw dropped when I saw Van Gaal's Ajax play,"

Guardiola enthused in his autobiography. "They did everything a football team should do perfectly in my eyes."

One game Guardiola recalls is their evisceration of Real Madrid at the Bernabéu; as the then Madrid coach Jorge Valdano put it, "Ajax are not just the team of the nineties, they are approaching football Utopia." That game embodied everything the 'Van Gaalisten' concept stands for, documented in his book Biografie & Visie.

Soulmate-turned-enemy Johan Cruyff has never disputed Van Gaal’s coaching methods despite their falling out, even if the pair have "a clear difference in approach".

Dennis Bergkamp, now coaching at Ajax, remembered a “sacred system”: there is a strong emphasis on collective responsibility (collectief is Van Gaal's favourite word) and mutual understanding. Being a schoolteacher in a previous life undoubtedly shaped Van Gaal’s outlook, which led to a dictator-like image (mainly in the press) of treating his players like children. But those who have worked closely with him praise his integrity and honesty.

He doesn't take kindly to criticism, and the 62-year-old’s absolute conviction has resulted in a tetchy relationship with the Fourth Estate - surprising, considering his former eloquence and media-savvy as a representative of the players' union during his unspectacular career. It all boils down to Van Gaal's belief that most, if not all, football journalists are incapable of understanding tactics to sufficiently analyse them. Their views are deemed meaningless, and any criticisms are interpreted as a professional and personal attack. As he once spat, "Journalists think they know as much about football as I do, but they don't."

It's fair to say his second stint as Netherlands manager hasn't been smooth sailing. Van Gaal will not deviate from his approach, yet recent performances have shown there is still a long way to go. He insists lessons are learned after each setback (the latest being Holland’s two-goal throwaway against Japan), and turning them into character-building exercises is encouraged.

Still, Van Gaal insists the basics should have been prevalent. "We allowed Japan back into the game and that was unnecessary," he told Dutch television. The game was also a reminder of the importance of central defenders to the ideals of totaalvoetbal that Van Gaal follows, especially when facing imaginative sides who don't sit back, many of whom will be at the World Cup. Cruyff once said his centre-backs should have the "best ball-handling skills" in order to "bring you out of trouble and set up the forwards.

Time is of the essence for international managers. On most get-togethers their best players won't be available, which impacts on team-building. In the 17 matches he has overseen so far, Van Gaal has used 45 different players. He has handed debuts to 19 players, of which 12 were under the age of 23. "Experience is important, but you can also have plenty of experience at the age of 16 or 18," he says.

It becomes a challenge to forge a coherent XI. But does Van Gaal have the required personnel to play the expansive football he demands? He believes so. "The KNVB gave me a clear mission to play 'Dutch School' football, and with the quality of this squad that must be possible." The brand of football he promotes, carved from the Amsterdam School, needs every player to act as one. It also needs the right type of players. But those individuals need to play together on a regular basis to create any sort of cohesion.

Given that he will remain steadfast to his vision, what could make things easier is employing a core from the same clubs, as Spain and Germany have shown. At the moment three players are guaranteed a starting berth: captain Robin van Persie, vice-captain Arjen Robben and third-captain Kevin Strootman.

Now, 17 months on, things are different. Oranje are proactive and fluid (within a traditional 4-3-3), epitomised by their midfield, which includes a controller in front of the defence with a box-to-box midfielder (Strootman) and playmaker ahead.

Van Gaal sees attacking football as a moral duty. His greatest obsession is still continuous circulation of the ball; passing endlessly as a means to tire the opposition until space is found to punish. It also acts as a defensive weapon: if you have the ball then your opponents can't do anything. It remains a work in progress, but there are signs his side are getting the hang of things.

But really the national team remains in a state of transition at the crossroad between two generations. Not much is expected next summer - Van Gaal is even on record as saying that getting out of the group will be considered a success.

More importantly, though, he is looking at the long-term picture, and with so many changes in the short-term it will be a while before the Clockwork Orange returns.

After a meek showing at Euro 2012 his country have turned to one of the guardians of Dutch football to leave a positive legacy. Van Gaal will step down after the tournament - his wish is to return to club football - but not before doing his utmost to make his mark next summer.

15 quotes by Louis van Gaal

1)  I know I’m a very good coach.

2)  Am I the one who’s so smart, or are you so stupid?

(After a journalist had asked him a question.)

3) Congratulations on signing the best coach in the world.

(To an Ajax director, after signing his first contract as coach.)

4) Louis van Gaal has nothing more to learn.

(Said about himself in 2001. Later that year he failed to qualify for the World Cup with the Netherlands.)

5) No, I am the ideal man, of course.

(When asked whether Eric Gerets was the ideal man to coach Belgium.)

6) The Bavarian attitude to life suits me perfectly. Why? Bayern’s motto is ‘Mia san mia,’ ‘We are who we are’ and I am who I am: confident, arrogant, dominant, honest, hard-working and innovative.”

(At his first press conference as Bayern Munich coach.)

7) I have achieved more with Ajax in six years

than Barcelona has in one hundred years.

(In 1997 after becoming coach of Barcelona.)

8) I’ve signed a contract with the Dutch national team until 2006,

so I can win the World Cup not once but twice.

(Van Gaal in 2000. He failed to even qualify for the 2002 World Cup and then quit as NT coach.)

9) I’m not the kind of coach who just goes out and buys players for the sake of it. I’m a coach who wants to – and can – improve players.

10) Guardiola follows the Van Gaal Philosophy. So I’m not surprised Bayern have hired Guardiola. Bayern always hire the best managers.

(Ex-Bayern Manager Louis van Gaal)

11) I cry almost every day. There’s always something that touches me.

12) I’ve never worn leggings like Robben does. I’m never cold because I’m warm bloooded. My wife says so too. We always sleep spooning.

13) If you want to, go ahead.

(After a reporter asked Van Gaal whether he wanted to congratulate his former friend Ronald Koeman with winning the Eredivisie with PSV.)

14) I hope the desire to win is greater than the tiredness. But the body is less strong than the mind. And we’ve got a few wimps in this team.

(Ahead of a DFP Pokal match with Bayern.)

15) Friends of the press, I’m leaving. Congratulations.

(After quitting from Barcelona)

"I am who I am" The Genius of Louis van Gaal

"I am who I am: confident, arrogant, dominant, honest, hard-working and innovative." These are the words used by Louis van Gaal to describe himself during his first press-conference as manager of Bayern Munich in 2009. If you had asked him to describe himself after being appointed to his first managerial position in 1991, he would have given the same answer. Louis van Gaal has never been a man short on self-confidence, with outbursts of self-pride that would make even Mourinho blush, the Dutchman has combined his footballing genius and indestructible confidence to become the champion of Holland, Spain, Germany, and indeed, all of Europe. His eccentricities make him one of the most peculiar men in the history of the game, but also one of the most successful, and certainly one of the most influential.

Born in a city where freedom, personal expression and creativity are considered a historic right, Van Gaal preached structure and discipline from his first day as manager of Ajax, and it has been one of the foundations upon which he has built his career. To understand the Van Gaal system is not to simply understand the 4-3-3 or 3-3-1-3 or 4-4-2. The formations Van Gaal has used throughout his illustrious career are merely vessels for a footballing ideology that is at the very core of his being, and woe to those who oppose it. As his former player Frank de Boer put it, "He is open to other ideas, but they must understand he will not budge." This type of fundamentalism may seem strange, and even somewhat mad (indeed, it is probably both) but there is a distinct method in Van Gaal's madness, and it has allowed him to be a unrelenting winner over the past two decades.

"Football is a team sport, and the members of the team are therefore dependent on each other. If certain players do not carry out their tasks properly on the pitch, then their colleagues will suffer. This means that each player has to carry out his basic tasks to the best of his ability, and this requires a disciplined approach on the pitch. In my opinion this can only be achieved if there is discipline off the pitch."

This is, in basic terms, Louis van Gaal's philosophy, which has been instilled into every team he has managed since his first day at Ajax in 1991. His tactics can be analyzed and scrutinized in every way imaginable, but if you fail to understand the philosophy behind it all, then you fail to truly understand Van Gaal.

The discipline Van Gaal instills into his teams goes beyond tactical and mental discipline on the pitch; it is a fundamental requirement of the player's everyday life. This means arriving early for training sessions, keeping your belongings organized and neat, looking after your body, being on the team bus punctually, talking to your teammates regularly, and so on. This discipline allows for greater communication between the players and also between the coaches. This could mean everything from players talking to each other over what they felt went wrong during a match, to tactical discussions amongst the coaches, to Van Gaal talking to his players on a daily basis over previous matches and what the course for the future should be. Van Gaal has said that his experience as a teacher has allowed him to know when to interfere and when to observe or listen, a crucial skill to have as a manager, and it is this ability that helps him earn the respect of his players.

Communication is absolutely essential to Van Gaal, as it allows for the most famous part of his philosophy to succeed, the concept of team-building:

"In football, everything depends on the team aspect. It is therefore important that each player knows what the others can and can't do. You have to discover each other's skills, and this automatically leads to a good mutual understanding, which is the basis for the result. All players have to learn to put the team first."

This is the ultimate goal for Van Gaal when he begins training a new squad. Yes, possession, fluid rotational movement and tactical discipline are what his teams practice, but all of these attributes are the products of his team-building practices. It is a relentless and fundamental commitment to the collective over the individual, and if a player cannot adapt to these demands, he will not be tolerated as a member of the team. This style of management has been deemed authoritarian by many in the press, but Van Gaal insists it is anything but. He communicates with his players and coaches on a daily basis, and because of this communication, everyone within the club knows the course which they are on and what goals need to be accomplished. It is a simple thing, but many clubs fail in this aspect, which manifests itself on the pitch.

"Running is for animals. You need a brain and a ball for football"

Van Gaal is dedicated to the traditional Dutch way of playing i.e. maintaining the majority of possession, fluid movement amongst players, pressing, and an ideological commitment to attacking. He has not used one particular formation throughout his career, as he adapts it to accommodate the players at his disposal. Van Gaal has always been adamant that he does not require his clubs to spend big money on new signings, as he is someone who "wants to-and can-improve players." This can especially be seen in his commitment to developing youth players. The likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Alaba, and Muller have all made their first team debuts under Van Gaal, who always keeps one member of the previous coaching staff on-board to advise on such subjects.

Possession is the foundation of the Van Gaal system, and his teams will always shoot for, at the very minimum, 52% of the ball. There are several reason behind his commitment to possession:

The ability to dictate the pace of the game

The saving of energy so they can be stronger later in the game when the opposition is feeling the strain of chasing the ball all game. "Ajax trains its players to run as little as possible on the pitch."

Dominating possession means the opposition has fewer chances to create goal-scoring opportunities.

Dominating possession with crisp passing means there is a high likelihood of being able to drag the opposition defence out of their shape, creating dangerous goal-scoring opportunities.

Van Gaal's teams build up play from the back, and the goalkeeper rarely kicks the ball long. Since his days at Ajax, Van Gaal has believed that the playmaker is not the player behind the striker, but the holding player. This is because the space the number 10 plays in has become too constricted for him to fully operate in, but the player sitting just in front of the back four usually has the time and space to pick out passes and initiate attacking moves.You won't see Van Gaal play an enforcer type player in his midfield, instead, the holding player is usually the most tactically intelligent and most sound passer in the team. This means he doesn't give the ball away, is always reading the situation and adjusting his positioning accordingly, and keeps the flow of possession moving fluidly.

Another basic characteristic of Van Gaal teams is their ability to manipulate the space on the pitch. You will never see two players occupying the same space at the same time. If one player comes forward, another will move back, if one player takes up a position on the wing, another will move towards the midfield. This pattern of movement is repeated all across the pitch over the course of the game, and it is a major factor in his teams' ability to maintain possession and create goal-scoring opportunities. The game is all about controlling space, and Van Gaal's teams are drilled in this concept on a daily basis. This means his teams are more organized, disciplined, and efficient than their opponents the majority of the time, giving them a greater chance of success.

When Van Gaal's style is discussed, it is often compared to the style of another Dutchman, Johan Cruyff. This is because they represent two sides of the same ideological coin. Both want to play attacking, attractive football, but both have different ways of achieving this. Cruyff built up his teams by building up brilliant individuals, whereas Van Gaal always built his teams through the idea of the collective. This isn't to say that individuals aren't allowed to express themselves in Van Gaal's system, but whatever action they take has to come with the team in mind first, and their personal glory second. Because of this, Van Gaal teams have traditionally been; Organized, disciplined, efficient, hard-working, and intelligent. His teams resemble less a group of talented individuals, and more of a machine where every player is a working cog, doing his job to the best of his ability to keep the machine running cleanly and beautifully.

Stories of Van Gaal clashing with his players constantly kept occurring in Munich and it disrupted the squad. One of them, told by Luca Toni to the press, was about Van Gaal pulling down his pants in the Bayern Munich dressing room to show his testicles to the players to prove to them that he had “balls” to drop any player from the team. There were also rumors that Van Gaal made his players (and his children) call him “Sie”, which is the equivalent of using the plural for someone older, or more respected, in languages like French or Spanish.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao: