Champions League Thread R16 L2

Lenny

Barcelona were unbeaten in their first five Champions League meetings with Arsenal, drawing two and winning three - including the 2006 final and last season's quarter-final second leg, when a 4-1 win secured a 6-3 aggregate victory.This season they won each of their three home fixtures in Group D, beating Panathinaikos (5-1), Copenhagen (2-0) and Rubin Kazan (2-0), topping their section for the fourth consecutive year and qualifying from the initial group stage for the ninth successive campaign in which they've taken part.Barcelona have won 11 ties in Uefa competitions after losing the first leg away from home – but they've lost the other 12, including last season's Champions League semi-final, when a 1-0 victory over Inter at the Nou Camp wasn't good enough to overturn a 3-1 first-leg defeat in Milan.On Saturday Barcelona's 1-0 home win over Zaragoza in La Liga not only maintained their seven-point lead over Real Madrid at the top of the table, it also extended their unbeaten home run in all competitions to 20 matches.Pep Guardiola's side are without first-choice centre-backs Carles Puyol (injured) and Gerard Pique (suspended) for the Arsenal clash, but in Lionel Messi they boast a player with 46 goals from 44 games for club and country so far this season. The Argentine also netted all four Barca goals when Arsenal were the visitors last season.Arsenal have qualified for the Champions League in each of the last 13 seasons. This is the 11th successive time they have progressed beyond the initial group stage, and in four of the last five campaigns they've reached at least the quarter-finals.The Gunners have won the first leg at home on 15 occasions in Uefa competitions, going on to win the tie on aggregate no fewer than 14 times. Their one defeat - in the 2000-01 Champions League quarter-finals - was against La Liga opposition, a 2-1 home win over Valencia being followed by a 1-0 defeat in Spain and elimination on away goals.Arsenal were joint-top scorers in this season's Champions League group stage with 18 goals - the same number as their arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur.Arsenal's first leg victory over Barca was their 99th win in their 200th match in Uefa competitions, and Andrey Arshavin's winner their 197th Champions League goal.Unbeaten in their last four away games in all competitions, Arsenal stretched their unbeaten Premier League run to 11 matches (seven wins, four draws) at the weekend with a 0-0 home draw against Sunderland, maintaining their record of not conceding in the opening 15 minutes of any Premier League game this season.

Guest Klitschko
I love how people think that just because a player is technically as good as another, it automatically makes them on par with as said person.SMH.f*ck*ng idiots.
BANG

Guardiola was asked about the quality of Wilshere and the Barcelona coach said: "Wilshere is a top player. He is an excellent player, not just Arsenal, but also for the national team. [but] he is lucky because we have many players in the second team like him but he plays because there is no pressure at his club to win titles."
LMAO. So much real talk./Barcelona to BATTER. Will be a great game.

Arsenal will winI see us scoring first, most probably on the counter. Then they will panick and eventually crumbleBarca's arrogance will ultimately be their downfallfinal score2-0 or 2-1
sounds like a successfull version of Arsenal, hmmm i'll await the downfall
Think Barca are a little more humble than that, EVERYONE else expected them to win it. I see them scoring though, so Bendtner better live up to his talk tonight.
c/s, its hard to remain completly humble and still show respect for you opponants, when everyone and their dog keeps talking about how your the best team in the history of football, then just have a look at the world player of the year top 3, remaining humble would be difficult, in the situation, they've done a good job.
If Barcelona do not make it through to the Quarter-Finals tonight then I quit Vip2 Forum.
this is a huge statement to make, Arsenal even with out RVP playing any part have enough quality to nick a win, draw or lose by only 1 goal whilst scoring more than 2

everyone should want Arsenal to go through here, maybe barring the Liverpool fans,, as out of Barca and Arsenal theres 1 team out of the 2 that you'd rather player later in the tournament. once i see the teams i'll place bets, think this could be well decided in Extra time, or in the last 10 mins, Barca have shown serious fatigue in the last few weeks. depending on what impact players Arsenal have to call upon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,should be a classic on drama alone.

Guest Portuguese
Arsenal will winI see us scoring first, most probably on the counter. Then they will panick and eventually crumbleBarca's arrogance will ultimately be their downfallfinal score2-0 or 2-1
sounds like a successfull version of Arsenal, hmmm i'll await the downfall
Think Barca are a little more humble than that, EVERYONE else expected them to win it. I see them scoring though, so Bendtner better live up to his talk tonight.
c/s, its hard to remain completly humble and still show respect for you opponants, when everyone and their dog keeps talking about how your the best team in the history of football, then just have a look at the world player of the year top 3, remaining humble would be difficult, in the situation, they've done a good job.
If Barcelona do not make it through to the Quarter-Finals tonight then I quit Vip2 Forum.
this is a huge statement to make, Arsenal even with out RVP playing any part have enough quality to nick a win, draw or lose by only 1 goal whilst scoring more than 2
Dani Alves after the 1st leg I was sure about Alves having a field day against Arsenal's left hand side in ther return leg then fast forward to the Carling Cup final (Steven Carr) has confirmed this will happen.XaviTo lead Barcelona's passing carousel.(hopefully Iniesta performs in a big game like this he hasn't since UCL 2009 Final)MessiSurely cannot be wasteful like he was in London

Guest Portuguese

Former Barcelona player and coach Johan Cruyff has questioned Arsenal's ability to beat the Catalans in Tuesday's Champions League game. The Dutch legend pointed out that the Gunners have a history of failure in big games and doesn't expect Arsenal to be able to eliminate the Blaugrana."Barcelona have already made some mistakes in the first leg and can't afford to make any more errors on Tuesday. If Zaragoza were able to create two or three big chances, Arsenal can be expected to do the same," said Cruyff in El Periodico de Catalunya."However, even though Arsenal start the game with a 2-1 lead following their win in London, they have to deal with two things in the return."Of course, there will be Barcelona with their distinctive style of play and several players who could be decisive. "Additionally, they will have to deal with their ghosts from the past. The mental aspect plays a big role in football and this is not one of Arsenal's strengths. There are many games per season, but only a few matches are decisive. "And Arsenal's results in their recent big games underline that they struggle in important matches. They failed in the Carling Cup final and were unable to close the gap with Manchester United at the weekend. Tuesday will be one of those days for them." :D:D