Academic Thread

Yoshie

Bleh, looks like I wont be going to acting school this september. Having been turned down last year and once again..this year. Not all waste, I have learnt a ton in the last year or so just by going to all these auditions.

I have decided not to apply again next year,just going to continue doing plays and also carry on with the writing. Very hard to get into this business with absolutely ziltch connections though.

I shall keep pushing :Y:

• Upvote 1

Bleh, looks like I wont be going to acting school this september. Having been turned down last year and once again..this year. Not all waste, I have learnt a ton in the last year or so just by going to all these auditions.

I have decided not to apply again next year,just going to continue doing plays and also carry on with the writing. Very hard to get into this business with absolutely ziltch connections though.

I shall keep pushing :Y:

u need to jump on this youtube dramas, makes it easier for people to search for u and see what u got, plus build a little portfolio for urself

Did any of you do placement years (sandwich courses)?

Was looking at leaving mine and not doing it but using that year to completing a masters.

Personally I think a degree is worthless and envy people that have gone into the job market at a young age and progressed through experience.

Too many clever people with high marks have been out of work that I know off and it's quite demotivating knowing you're not as clever as them but you could be in a worse situation.

My focus of attention is 50/50 at the minute it really is - should I progress with my business or go for "£40k" debt for a black hat and a piece of paper.

In reality I'm more disappointed with myself that I have put education before things I've wanted to do such as have a kid and travel across the world etc

Who knows that sh*t may still happen but I don't want it to happen too late in my life.

A placement will allow you to come out of uni with ACTUAL experience to take into interviews and hence be able to go for actual jobs.

A bachelors / masters will see you into graduate schemes as they are prepared to teach you, applying for roles without any experience is quite hard.

A degree allows an employer to assess your ability to learn, if others with experience apply, they will fly past you most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2:1, 65.2%

Pretty happy overall, I did shite in one of my exams that I really shouldn't have (I took my eye off the ball because I knew I was safe in 2:1 territory as we got dissertation marks back prior to sitting exams). Which I'm annoyed with myself about as there seems to be a load of people who have had their degree class compensated, despite not meeting percentage criteria, if I'd have got an extra couple of per cent maybe they'd have bumped me up.

One of my flatmates got a 59% and got a 2:1 and another got 64% and got awarded a first.

• Upvote 1

I'm definitely looking at a 2:2 this year. Regardless though I've heard 3rd year accounts for around 86% of my whole degree. :confused:

Should've smashed Chinese module, at least 80%, but got 73%. Needed that to support my other marks.

Getting my finals results soon, in a similar position wherein I had 1 dodgy exam and will need the remaining 3 good exams to support the potential sh*t mark I might get.

Just concentrate on dissertation. Everyone I've spoken to has had their degree class determined by their dissertation, regardless of overall grade.

My flatmate- 64% overall, no Firsts in exams or any coursework but 72% on dissertation and getting awarded a 1st.

I hope the exam board allow me and just consider my disso with my extenuating circumstances app

Still waiting on my degree result. My portfolio which was the equivalent of a dissertation was poor in my opinion so I'm thinking I may be on a 2:2. I've been borderline all through uni. Every mark has varied between 54 and 68 since I started. Gutted I never got a first but if I manage to scrape and overall 2:1 then I'll be over the moon. I'm quite a lazy c*nt so maybe I don't actually deserve it. The three weeks of late nights/ early mornings/ no sleep to complete my coursework may have paid off.

http://lookdwn.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/viteshs-barber-shop-v-cuts.html was one of my assessed pieces and feedback so far has been pretty positive

Got a 2.1 in Journalism but still waiting on individual module marks.

http://lookdwn.blogs...m-magazine.html is where you can have a look at the magazine that I made as part of my group project

found a few press relations officer/ magazine journalism jobs that I wanna apply for, it's just that writing cover letters is long, need to pull my finger out ASAP cos my summer job I had lined up might have fallen through