The Gym Topic

Flojo

Warming up / stretching.

I'm definitely not stretching, warming up/down enough.

The two days after a workout I'm aching.

Someone point me in the direction of a video that shows what I need to do to stretch and warm up/down please.

I reckon the cross trainer is a good dynamic way of warming up (as my man said)

But after your workout you really want to be doing a full body static stretch...however, if you really can't be bothered, at least give the muscle groups you've worked the most a good stretch out. Start small then work your way up...starting small can never be underestimated when you're wanting to build good habits. You're gonna have to search youtube for individual muscle group stretches rather than looking for one "solve-it-all" video imo. There are no shortcuts.

Never warm down, warm up I just do light weights of the exercise I'm doing to get some blood into the muscle

C/S

Used to skip my ass off and jump on the cross trainer till I'm sweating my balls off for a warm up. Realised I was just wasting energy which I could be using in the workout. For a year now just I just warm up doing light weights, never had any problems what so ever.

Spots for dumbbell exercises?

Rah, them-lift-heavy-to-look-good-but-still-skinny guys there

Them no idea what your talking about guys there

It was a joke you c*nt

I f*cking hate little nogs like you that go and pump weights and think they actually know a damn thing about bodybuilding

Great way to show your knowledge that. And I'm willing to bet I know just as much it not more about bodybuilding than you do tbh and have the physique to back it up

• Upvote 1

Anyone go Gym in the morning? if so whats your pre workout meall?

I started going for the last two months on the stronglifts 5x5 program, i find when i eat breakfast (porridge, banana and protein shake+scoop of creatine) i feel mad ill and dizzy so i just work out now on just the protein shake and creatine i feel much better. I dunno am i doing it wrong? is carbs a must before a session or can you get away with just protein shake and creatine? 

carbs are the devil

i dont eat any substantial carbs til late afternoon otherwise they mess my concentration up n make me feel dizzy / sleepy / stupid

i go gym bout midday normally

if ur used to bare carbs then this will throw u off for a while until u acclimatise, stagger it in

goin for a 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carb diet atm

i have a lot of days where i skew this to f*ck when im out the house but im doin nice off it

but still i have different goals to most guys

Anyone go Gym in the morning? if so whats your pre workout meall?

I started going for the last two months on the stronglifts 5x5 program, i find when i eat breakfast (porridge, banana and protein shake+scoop of creatine) i feel mad ill and dizzy so i just work out now on just the protein shake and creatine i feel much better. I dunno am i doing it wrong? is carbs a must before a session or can you get away with just protein shake and creatine? 

There is no requirement or science that says a pre-workout meal is necessary...it's really not important for someone whose diet is generally correct.

And local's comments about carbs being the devil are bro science tbh

i kno how i react to them, physically  and mentally

i didnt mention any science tbh but there's plenty of studies that support the health advantages of a low carb, high fat diets

i aint too scientific, i aint got the spare time but my bird's a nutrionist n she likes bein geeky with research papers etc

i can get her to provide links if ur interested, the tide is changing

particularly annoys her because she gets paid by the government so she has to half toe the fats-are-evil line

flex myself i'm goin for gains but jus not at the expense of health, which is opposed to what a lot of guys i kno are goin for

tryna be an optimal human

• Upvote 1

jus whatsapped her but she appears to be in an unhelpful mood

i think ive jus found 1 she was on about the other day, buzzin about it covers the effects on the cardiovascular shii rather than jus focus on weight loss

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amhm0dr2cdqxo8c/Effects%20of%20Low-Carbohydrate%20and%20Low-Fat%20Diets.pdf?dl=0

she was on about some long term study as well, that's 12 months but i duno if that's classed as long term in comparison

this page has 23 studies all suggesting the same, mostly regarding weight loss

http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

i think you'll struggle to find contradictory studies

it's widely accepted amongst the 'scientific community' (cringe)

it's yet to leak into the UK's public conscious tho 

I generally work out in the evening after work, but on Saturdays or when I have holiday from work, I'll have a porridge and banana.  Seems to do me fine.  Used to eat a couple pieces of toast and have weetabix with banana but that used to make my belly feel uneasy.

• 4 weeks later...

Plauteus:

Deadlift: 160-170kg ... try using a machine/ on of those bars you can step inside and grab by the sides... get the weight up ... come back... did this when i was stuck on 2 plates.

Bench 110kg .... drives me nuuttsss, quit benching all together for abit

squats... doing just fine at 3-4 plates... switch it up to hack squats to get some strength

im 91kg... not that big, but i feel strong when i hit gym. think my diets holding me back from gains.

/

Yeah any good back routines, dont feel sh*t in them these days...

my routines pretty much whatever i see, usually

Pull downs 

Rows (either BB or T bar machine)

Hammer Machine rows (from overhead)

Pulldowns from hammer machine sitting sideways (one at a time obvioulsy) so its abit more lats i think

sets/ go by feel (cos i heard jay cutler saying he does that) usually go for about 3-4 sets each, reps: 8-15

Edit: dont feel anything cos been on the routine too long, but the backs looking strong, wifey giving me compliments about it

Never been a fan of pre workouts, never taken any before in the 2 years I been training properly. But had to take No-Xplod today as I was feeling SHIT.

Fuck me... This shit got me BUZZING. Smashed back today, deadlifting my PB like it's nothing, and just kept going and going. Took it about 4 hours ago and I can still skittish and energetic.