What does your name mean?

Gunner

wiki

Anthony or Antony is a male given name, (ninth most popular male first name in the United States as of 2006), derived from Antonius, a Roman family name. That name seems to have come originally from the Etruscan language, although no further information is known about this derivation. Its popularity as a Christian name largely stems from its association with St. Anthony the Great, the founder of Christian monasticism. In the United States, it is the seventh most popular male name as of 2008, according to the Social Security Administration.[1] It is often shortened to Tony or, especially in Britain, Ant. When the background is Italian, Nino or Toni, shortened from Antonino, are used.

The Greek word ανθος (anthos), meaning "flower", was once considered to be the origin and meaning of the name, which resulted in the addition of the "h" in the 17th century[2]. Others claim it is from the ancient Greek name Anthonios, king of Achaia.

some random name meaning site

In Biblical, the name Anthony means- worthy of praise. Other origins for the name Anthony include - Biblical, English, Basque.The name Anthony is most often used as a boy name or male name.

not much in a name these days i think

I've never actually looked up the meaning of my first name.

All I know is that it's a last name and is French.

Just looked it up, couple websites are also saying it originates in Austrailia.

It's meaning is..

French: from a diminutive of Old French garra ‘crock or jar for oil’, presumably a metonymic occupational name for a maker of such crocks or for a producer or seller of aromatic or comestible oils. This name is concentrated in LA.

cool name, so just how is jean val jean doing?

I don't geddit

The Ewe name means "Dearly loved by God"

The Akan/Twi name (meant to be spelt with an i on the end due to local pronounciation but my dad shegged my passport) means "Born on Saturday/something to do with God"

Err Michael is a given name that comes from the Hebrew: מִיכָאֵל / מיכאל‎ (Mikha'el), meaning "Who is like God?"[1] In English, it is sometimes shortened to Mike, Mikey, or, especially in Ireland, Mick.

got 3 names

first one means young girl/fresh/new and also the name of the star constellation

second one speaks for itself, theres a song about this one

third one is an amharic name, theres also a song about this one

my names are VERY important to me, cannot stand when people get my name wrong, especially when its clearly written, an they jus wanna say it how they wanna say it

pisses me off when people get other peoples names obviously wrong aswell, its jus selfish and lazy

when i have children, there are names that i like, but the meaning will have A LOT to do with my decision

when u give someone a name, ur marking them for life, it means so much

i knew this already but ive also heard its an English name and a French name, so dunno:

CAPRICE: Italian name meaning "impulsive; ruled by whim."

my daughters name:

The girl's name Tia is pronounced TEE-ah. It is of Spanish origin, and its meaning is "aunt".

why did you name your daughter 'aunt' ? she can never go to spain, portugal or anywhere in central/south america now

:(

gemma = precious stone

on urban dictionary gemma means

practically perfect in everyway + has a handbag like Mary Poppins, funny, caring and everyones friend.

Often shortened to gem not to be confused with emma, which is a differnet kettle of fish

Your a gemma/gem of a girl

Guest Malcolm Tucker
Seán is a name which originated in the Irish language. It is an Irish version of the English language name John. Anglicisations of the name include Sean (without a fada on the a), Shane, Shaine, Shaun and Shawn. The name Shane comes from the Ulster pronunciation of the name, whereas the names Shaun, Shawn or Sean come from the way it is pronounced in Munster, Leinster and Connaught.

[edit] Background

The name Yochanan had gained popularity among Jews in Judea and Galilee by the time the area became a province of the Roman Empire in 6 A.D. It was the given name of Yochanan ben Zechariah, one Jewish prophet known in English as John the Baptist. It was also the given name of Yochanan ben Zibhdi, a fisherman from Galilee who became one of the favorite students (called disciples) of Jesus Christ and so is known in English as John the Apostle. Because Yochanan also wrote one of the four accounts of the life of Jesus Christ called gospels, the Gospel of St. John, he is also known as John the Evangelist.

The texts that tell of the lives of both these men named Yochanan. They were written in Greek, and their name was adapted in Greek as Ἰωάννης, Iōánnēs (pronounced YO-han-NAYS). The name Ioannes became extremely popular among the early Christians, and bearers include such noted members of the early church as Ioannes Chrysostomos and the Ioannes who wrote the Book of Revelation.

Because of the great respect Christians had for these men, the name came into use in other parts of the Christianized Roman Empire, even in remoter parts such as Gaul and Britain. The Western areas of the Roman Empire did not, however, speak Greek like the areas in the East. Instead, they spoke Latin. Accordingly, in the Western part of the Roman Empire the name was Latinized as Iohannes (pronounced like the Greek).

The local populations in these areas of the Roman Empire soon changed Roman names to fit their own dialect, which included dropping the suffixes -us and -es from such names. Johannes became the Germanic Johann, for example, and on the outskirts of the Empire in the newly converted Ireland it became the Irish Eoin. In some cases, the pronunciation of the "J" also changed from the original "Y", so that in Iberia the name eventually changed to the Spanish Juan and in Gaul to the French Jean.

In the 11th century the Norman duke William the Conqueror invaded and conquered England and brought his Norman knights and their dialect with him. In England, the French name Jean came to be spelled John. The Norman kings of England also conquered Ireland in the 13th century and the 14th century. The Irish nobility was replaced by Norman nobles, some of whom bore the French name Jean or the Anglicised name John. The Irish adapted the name to their own pronunciation and spelling, producing the name Seán. Sean is mostly pronounced SHAWN, but in the northern parts of Ireland it is pronounced SHAYN, thus leading to the variant Shane[citation needed].

= Irish variant of John: God is gracious; gift from God.

Boring.

i knew this already but ive also heard its an English name and a French name, so dunno:

my daughters name:

The girl's name Tia is pronounced TEE-ah. It is of Spanish origin, and its meaning is "aunt".

why did you name your daughter 'aunt' ? she can never go to spain, portugal or anywhere in central/south america now

maybe she named her after the twin in sister sister

my daughters name:

:lol: @ gemma

@ duzza - i didnt call her aunt i called her Tia, i dont live in spain or portugal so it doesnt mean the same here does it, its a name lol

and im sure she can still go to these places lmao, the locals wont actually think she is their aunt hopefully or it might end up being a bit confusing

my daughters name:

@ duzza - i didnt call her aunt i called her Tia, i dont live in spain or portugal so it doesnt mean the same here does it, its a name lol

and im sure she can still go to these places lmao, the locals wont actually think she is their aunt hopefully or it might end up being a bit confusing

I get what your saying but if something means something then it means something.

• Upvote 1

my daughters name:

I get what your saying but if something means something then it means something.

yea i totally get where you're coming from, i just chose it coz its a nice name lol, my surname is quite difficult to find names that sound good with it

gemma = precious stone

on urban dictionary gemma means

practically perfect in everyway + has a handbag like Mary Poppins, funny, caring and everyones friend.

Often shortened to gem not to be confused with emma, which is a differnet kettle of fish

Your a gemma/gem of a girl

are you telling me you used urban dictionary to research your name?