Paul Scholes Retires

Lieutenant

I remember being mad young and some central heating guys came to do my central heating (as they do) and one of the guys started asking me about football and what team I supported, he then told me his nephew was Paul Scholes and he played for Man Utd. I looked in my sticker book and didnt see said name and was like meh, who is he? The man said he was gonna be a star soon... Throughout Scholes career I've always wondered if the man was really his uncle or just gassing.

Random story I know.

Legend, not better than Giggs tho ;)

• Downvote 2

Guest Klitschko

Xavi : "A role model. For me, and I really mean this, he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years. He's spectacular, he has it all, the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him."

After the match against Barca, Iniesta ran over to Scholes to make sure he could get his shirt. He got there ahead of four other players, Xavi included.

ManU8.jpg

114915767.jpg

scholes 97-03>>

Michael Carrick : "He is a legend and he's going to be remembered for a long time. Just to play alongside him and learn from him has been an absolute pleasure. I think he is a footballer's footballer; he has been at this level for so long. As long as he is part of us we always feel we have a chance. We appreciate the way he goes about his business. I have never met a character like Scholesy; certainly not someone who is that good."

That part right there describes Scholesey perfectly, that needs to be set in stone somewhere. He's your favourite footballer's favourite footballer

• Downvote 1

Guest Portuguese

It will be be hard to name 5 better central midfielders than him in the last 20 years, excellent player the one player i always feared in the United team from young.

It shouldn't be hard to name aleast five but if you are talking about in English Football only then I agree with you.

• Downvote 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Scholes set to retire

Paul Scholes will end his playing career at the end of this season.

Scholes, 38, previously announced his retirement at the end of the 2010/11 season, but made a shock return to the team on 8 January 2012 when he came on as a substitute in the FA Cup third round victory at Manchester City.

The midfielder was part of the new wave of talent that came through to the first-team during the mid-1990s, and has gone on to enjoy a long and successful career, making an incredible 716 appearances for Manchester United.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: “Paul is a truly unbelievable player. He has always been fully committed to this club and it has been a real privilege to work with him for so many years. Paul will play at Old Trafford on Sunday against Swansea and will collect an unbelievable but well-deserved 11th Premier League medal."

Paul Scholes said: “Yes, I am finally hanging up my boots for good! Playing football is all I have ever wanted to do, and so to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United, under the greatest manager of all time, has been an honour. The team has the right balance and will continue to thrive under the leadership of David Moyes.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2013/May/paul-scholes-retires-from-football.aspx

• Upvote 3