Is Africa being colonised again?

Mr Q

China has "invested" over 400 billion alone in Africa !. While some of the afs are driving around in flashy cars, wearing expensive jewels talking about "scaummmssss" in Europe. Your continent is getting fucked over again 21st Century style. I tell all my af bruddas go back home and build your country, it all falls on death ears. I just hope all the afs in uni go back after they graduate. Admittedly much of these are due to the greedy puppet governments of Africa propped up by the daemons. Africa does need outside investment and expertise but to not to this sheer scale.

when u goin back?

2 years time

What is your project in Jamaica? I plan on doing something out there too, what links you got?

I aint really gona talk to much over the Internet ( this is a forum remember) too many silent readers plotting on mans moves lol

Tbh I got a few links in the in the high commission. Man like Levi roots hooked me up. Got nuff respect for him still . Bare safe and wants to help the young black out ere

China has "invested" over 400 billion alone in Africa !. While some of the afs are driving around in flashy cars, wearing expensive jewels talking about "scaummmssss" in Europe. Your continent is getting fucked over again 21st Century style. I tell all my af bruddas go back home and build your country, it all falls on death ears. I just hope all the afs in uni go back after they graduate. Admittedly much of these are due to the greedy puppet governments of Africa propped up by the daemons. Africa does need outside investment and expertise but to not to this sheer scale.

when u goin back?

2 years time

What is your project in Jamaica? I plan on doing something out there too, what links you got?

I aint really gona talk to much over the Internet ( this is a forum remember) too many silent readers plotting on mans moves lol

Tbh I got a few links in the in the high commission. Man like Levi roots hooked me up. Got nuff respect for him still . Bare safe and wants to help the young black out ere

PMs.

Are people going back to genuinely develop and help there countries or is it fill your pockets ting 1st?

Or can you do both, should be going Ghana in January hopefully and yes I have ideas

Im going back to develop dont know about anyone else. Wisdom first, wealth after tbh. Ghana is sick, good place and stable government.

Are people going back to genuinely develop and help there countries or is it fill your pockets ting 1st?

Or can you do both, should be going Ghana in January hopefully and yes I have ideas

This is the thing, at least in Jamaica - I assume the same is true in lots of African countries...there is a lack of skills and training. Hence most companies want to avoid training schemes and simply hire some of the plentiful manual labour. Few people will do shit for free, the voluntary sector only exists in countries where people can afford to volunteer their time.

So the question then is how much of your potential profit are you prepared to part with, assuming nobody will volunteer, to pay your workers?

I believe in the concept of fair trade. That doesn't mean the Fair Trade logo you see on PG tips, that's some bullshit - my bredda did his dissertation on Fair Trade and the story is murky.

If you believe in development, then you have to be prepared to compromise short term profit for the long term vision.

Good to see some clued up, responsible heads on VIP2.

Africa is not getting colonised again, its been seduced by china though. the amount of money china is pumping into infrastructure projects in ghana is ridiculous, from transport, electricity, hospitals to mining, you name it, they are in it all. my main problem with the chinese in africa is their total disregard from the environment and labour laws. yes they pay well and have employed thousands of people but there is no respect and dignity for the locals. this is where I think the governments have to step in and protect their citizens by enforcing laws

there are so many opportunities in places like ghana, uganda, kenya and other stable african countries. you just need to do your research and be prepared to spend some time there learning the local culture and understanding the market. what works in the U.K might not necessarily make you money there but if tweaked slightly you can easily become a rich. the main problem is access to funds, if you have a way to raise capital from the west then you're laughing.

Good thread. @ elementiasm what do you mean by volunteering? i dont think they should be working for free.

i spent some years in secondary school in Africa, nearly all my african class mates who studied abroad are either back there or planning to after getting some experience there.

it must be said the the people wanting to come to the west are usually the poorer ones in Africa, and its better to be here than over there. once the middle class starts to increase and money starts moving about alot more and not just concentrated within govt contracts, large conglomerates and cronies, more people will go back.

if African leaders dont care about Africa, no one else will and they will continue to exploit whatever opportunity available.

Good thread. @ elementiasm what do you mean by volunteering? i dont think they should be working for free.

i spent some years in secondary school in Africa, nearly all my african class mates who studied abroad are either back there or planning to after getting some experience there.

it must be said the the people wanting to come to the west are usually the poorer ones in Africa, and its better to be here than over there. once the middle class starts to increase and money starts moving about alot more and not just concentrated within govt contracts, large conglomerates and cronies, more people will go back.

if African leaders dont care about Africa, no one else will and they will continue to exploit whatever opportunity available.

this is true to an extent, the middle class who migrate here is mostly to study, get some experience and go back to run the family business etc

the issue is that in africa there is hardly any social mobility because the harsh reality is that if you are born in poverty you will die in poverty, unlike the developed world where social mobility is very visible.

Guest petercrotch

If you lads are serious about making a change in your home countries i say go for it but do it secretly and make sure you have some form of income in a fully developed country like england

• Upvote 2

or the social mobility is to go abroad or you move up based on favouritism because of your tribe.. but it can easily change. such was the case with brasil, and china, and its clearly changed immensely

im slightly disburded when i see ppl say we can change easily, by comparing us to china etc. the chiness did not develope overnight, they've had advanced technologies whilst western europe was still in the dark ages. they stuck to their language and traditions and its taken them decades of hard work and sacrifice to get where they are now and they've put systems in place, producing and consuming their own products and scaling back on imports.

what i see most african countries try to do is mimic western economies, forgetting that the local traditions and ethics are totally different. we have to carve our own way to economic prosperity. i read something a few wks back about the british government threatening to cut aid to uganda and other african nations because of anti gay laws. this is a clear evidence of the west pushing their lifestyle on 3rd world countries and succeeding in the long run.

another hyprocricy of the west is whilst they preach free trade to the world, they turn around giving huge subsidies to european producers and farmers so much that its cheaper for africans to import poultry than consume local ones.

that is why the current state of libya is so sad because aside of all gadaffis flaws he was setting a good economic blueprint for other african nations to aspire to.

• Upvote 1

People should be prepared to volunteer too IMO.

I don't want Jamaica to become like England where people drop rubbish and expect somebody else to pick it up. People should feel a sense of responsibility for their environment.

Of course I'm gonna pay people, I believe in economic development too - but there is a social/cultural element that you can't just chuck some foreign currency at.

The Jamaican diaspora isn't doing as much as it could do, that's clear. Most Jamaicans will send back a little foreign money to their relatives, but that ain't development...it's like signing on for them, most Jamaicans will go buy a Clarks or a few fake Gucci caps from the Chinese man with it rather than hustle. I get more calls from Jamaica with man asking for shoes than I do man asking for investment...and I haven't even got P like that right now.

Before a Jamaican will take that J$5000 and buy a carton of Matterhorns to sell as singles to flip, they'll go gamble it or buy a Heineken and a draw.

There was a braindrain when Jamaicans left, a whole generation who knew about farming land, running business or whatever left, and the baddest/laziest/poorest stayed behind. My dad ain't been back since he left in '62, not even to bury my grandma...same with my uncle! I imagine the same is true of Africa.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People should be prepared to volunteer too IMO.

I don't want Jamaica to become like England where people drop rubbish and expect somebody else to pick it up. People should feel a sense of responsibility for their environment.

Of course I'm gonna pay people, I believe in economic development too - but there is a social/cultural element that you can't just chuck some foreign currency at.

The Jamaican diaspora isn't doing as much as it could do, that's clear. Most Jamaicans will send back a little foreign money to their relatives, but that ain't development...it's like signing on for them, most Jamaicans will go buy a Clarks or a few fake Gucci caps from the Chinese man with it rather than hustle. I get more calls from Jamaica with man asking for shoes than I do man asking for investment...and I haven't even got P like that right now.

Before a Jamaican will take that J$5000 and buy a carton of Matterhorns to sell as singles to flip, they'll go gamble it or buy a Heineken and a draw.

There was a braindrain when Jamaicans left, a whole generation who knew about farming land, running business or whatever left, and the baddest/laziest/poorest stayed behind. My dad ain't been back since he left in '62, not even to bury my grandma...same with my uncle! I imagine the same is true of Africa.

I have always felt an obligation to participate in the development of Jamaica, but I've always looked at is as a distant aim in life.

This thread is inspring!

I would be happy to bring my skills to the table and help any of you with your projects, so get at me.

I'm always interested to know why people born and raised in Britain feel an obligation to develop the countries of their heritage.

It's a good thing and I fully condone it. I personally feel I have no specific obligation to Nigeria per say, but my line of work and future work is in line with this ethos of developing people and places.

because this is a white mans country and really and truly they dont want you here

What makes Jamaica or Nigeria more our own countries though? Essentially we are foreigners here and foreigners there.

Where are you more likely to be accepted though? What continent provides you with more career mobility assuming you have the skills?

Personally as an Accountant, I'd be stupid to pigeon hole myself with my current firm, even though it's a top 4 firm, considering the fact that there is so much more money in Industry. And with the potential for growth in the African industry, it's a no brainer.

because this is a white mans country and really and truly they dont want you here

What makes Jamaica or Nigeria more our own countries though? Essentially we are foreigners here and foreigners there.

my dad's brasilian and worked in Nigeria for over 10yrs, keep teling yourself you're a foreigner there,

thats why foreigners will come and reap the benefits.

Guest phonecharger

I really wish I could go back there n do something

but i havent got the funds :( and doesnt look like I will for a good number of years

hassu de fandz from de scooms

• Downvote 1