SBTV

kerser

was just on grime forum just reading his response to a topic about sbtv

Just seen this thread. Gonna write a little bit. Just wanted to say few things to clear up any queries, I respect all the comments in this thread, I started off in the Grime scene of course, that was always my passion & I never thought in a million years I could earn money off it, not until the day someone said to me if you're good at doing something don't do it for free so I started charging for videos etc. This was a whole new concept to me because I've never seen anything like what I was doing online, yes I saw the DVDs but I guessed they used to film for free and make their money back off the DVD sales, wether the artist saw any of that I don't know but I still see it as a big promo for them and the scene in general. It got to a point where I didn't want to work in Topman anymore which was before I started charging artists, as I was using the money from my job to buy better camera equipment & tapes. 

It got to a certain point where I could now charge people and leave Topman to focus on SBTV full time. SBTV got me into so many places, it got me my first ever proper media job at the BBC, that was because a commissioner there saw my freestyle videos and got me in to do a series called Jail Tales for them > http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ail+tales&sm=3 < which again I managed to bring Grime artists into the BBC in a way which was never done before on multi-platform let alone the BBC. This broadened my thinking of who I'm going to feature/how I wanna make money. 

It got to a point where I started thinking I want to make money elsewhere instead of charging artists because sometimes artists didn't have enough money to feature so I did it for free but my main goal was to make money elsewhere because I want the platform to be used by anyone that's talented and sometimes the talented aren't making enough money & I don't want them to shy away from the platform because of that. Yes I could've probably made more money than what I have done, I've had some artists offer me grands to get their video on SBTV & I have never done that, I have to genuinely like it and if it's not your cuppa tea then it will be for someone else. I have never ever and will never ever be offered money for people to go on the platform, that defeats the purpose of why I started. 

I see a few people asking how does the views quantify in album sales etc, that's a very good question and I can't measure the success of sales off the back of a video but what I can measure is the amount of people that are introduced to an artist via my platform & then it's up to the artist to captivate that fan further than the SBTV platform.. For example P Money, Dot Rotten, Mic Righteous, Elro, English Frank, Yungen, Krept, BBK, Konan, Ed Sheeran, Tempa T, Emeli Sande, Jessie J, Rita Ora to name a few, some of those names are not Grime, but some are and even to me I was shocked when people have messaged me saying, thank you for introducing me to people like BBK, Bashy etc because to me they're huge but there's a bigger world out there then just what I know. So where I can't quantify sales with people I featured, I can quantify the new audience I can bring to the table & what I think artists need to do after that is use other platforms, not just SB and have a solid marketing plan behind you instead of the artist just jumping on SBTV and thinking they're going to smash the game after just one video.

Now what I do with artists is I try to work with them as much as possible to get their marketing plan linked up with SBTV so instead of them just coming on to SBTV to spit bars which yes might help me, I'm trying to make them think why are you coming on to SBTV? What is it to promote? New tape? New merchandising? A gig your performing at? EP? etc etc so those are income revenues for the artist and not me and hopefully they see it as a symbiotic relationship instead of it being one sided. All I wanna do is be able to give a voice to people for them to showcase their talent and wether I get all these new articles or on the front of the Economist, I hope it always brings it back to my ethos or just showcasing good talent regardless of what genre you're doing. Some people may agree/disagree but at least I got a little bit off of my chest lol. I got loads more I wanna say and I wanna do a video series soon to explain all my thinking behind it and hopefully next year I will.

Of course now videos are different from what I started because even the audience have grown up. They don't want to hear all those GUN/SHANK/BARS unless it's Terminator or something or you have hood rep like Nines etc as I know some of the early videos I filmed were hoooood as hell and I will still film those hood ones but now I want you to have a story to tell instead of just saying it for the sake of saying it.

I never will forget Grime. It's where I started and every time I do interviews, I always mention the DVDs & Grime/Rap scene so I can only see it as growing & I do a lot more stuff than what I do before but I still try to cater as best as I can for the original fans. I also don't wanna be seen as the guy that's made all this money etc because that's not why I still film the videos like the most recent one with Scrufizzer, I'm still a big fan of the scene and will continue to film it for as long as possible.

http://youtu.be/n2CIFV702P4

• Upvote 1

good look for him. wish him well 

semi-off topic 

Anyone notice how the likes of other media outlets have more yank content than ever before... Most aint even music related. Especially grm daily. 

Those uk freestyles A64 and what not seems to be all saturated now. 

Think the uk urban bubble in general as popped imo.

i respect this guy for addressing issues like that on forums

also i see blacks getting at him yesterday for not filming him and he addressed him correctly

if that was me would air all these peasants complaining

no qualms

What was the problem with blacks?

1. @jamaledwards its dead ive told you what it is im trying to play fifa and my phone keeps going off I don't have nothing else to say

2. @jamaledwards go sleep I don't want you to be late for your two meetings and you gotta film the up and coming grime artist

3. "@_MP_3 blacks @jamaledwards "jealousy in the air tonight I can tell""< do I film people NO am I trying to film people NO shut the fuck up

4. I help man in 08 they diss me in 2013 smh

5. @jamaledwards its alright superstar go ya bed you probably got 8meetngs 20 people to film I understand its bless im done now

6. @jamaledwards your worker got It wrong 3 times after I told him all the info and turn up late and I ask for you to film it

7. @jamaledwards I asked you to film hold on wait you sent me ur sideman aka worker that turns up late dont Have a clue what his doing

8. @jamaledwards you asked me to film the gassed video I said yeah now im contacting you to do it its a par

9. @jamaledwards everybody reads their own dm's I told you just be normal and say no

10. @jamaledwards so you've let the people know I've been helping you from 08 but you don't wonna get back to me about filming smh

11. @jamaledwards your acting like you can't see people we helped you to be were you are today without us grime artists no views for sbtv

12. @jamaledwards its long to put up a next print screen just say ur busy doing something u should have film @OfficialKozzie

13. @jamaledwards come on stop da games just say you don't want to do its kool I understand your doing good bro keep up the good work b

Jamal needs to stay away from the leechers and preachers and do his own thing, its working well so far and I wish him nothing but luck.

He's done plenty to help out the scene he's waaay to big to be filming, people actually expect him to turn up to things like that? That's disrespecting his business he has employees like the Morgan Keys of the world doing their thing well, he can handle the corporate side I personally wouldn't even respond to things like that on a public forum

Guest Chelsea Jack

Jamal needs to stay away from the leechers and preachers and do his own thing, its working well so far and I wish him nothing but luck.

He's done plenty to help out the scene he's waaay to big to be filming, people actually expect him to turn up to things like that? That's disrespecting his business he has employees like the Morgan Keys of the world doing their thing well, he can handle the corporate side I personally wouldn't even respond to things like that on a public forum

this

he does what Ashman use to, use the search engine and respond to people who mentions his name,

was watching a film on Saturday night about independent game developers, there was one guy who 

used some alert thing so anytime his name was mentioned on a blog he would know then go to the 

blog and respond to what was said. some people enjoy doing that. i.e twitter

• Upvote 1

he does what Ashman use to, use the search engine and respond to people who mentions his name,was watching a film on Saturday night about independent game developers, there was one guy who used some alert thing so anytime his name was mentioned on a blog he would know then go to the blog and respond to what was said. some people enjoy doing that. i.e twitter

Dun know fam :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
At 24, Jamal Edwards is one of the youngest people on the Queen's New Year's Honours List.
Edwards was still a teenager when he started his YouTube channel, and has gone on to help launch the careers of major stars like Ed Sheeran, Jessie J, Rita Ora and Emili Sande.
He spoke to the BBC about his work, the future and what it feels like to be being given an MBE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30632684