Jay-Z Vs. Nas - Album for album

Fresh To Death

Did I really read Reasonable Doubt wasn't a classic until years and albums later?

F**K OFF YEAH. :rofl:

I agree with that statement

When the big boys was dropping albums Jay was a sideman back then

Its only when the trendies started jumping on Jays d*ck that all his albums suddenly became classics in there eyes

• Downvote 1

reasonable doubt got there way before it was written thats for sure..

wasnt too long ago ppl were saying they hadnt even HEARD reasonable doubt

in the watch the throne, magna carta holy grail threads gassed like bergen belsen

now its all ppl who think jay is better r materialistic, trendy just waffle at its peak

jay stopped trying to be interesting a long time ago and nas stopped trying to be entertaining

i ent checked for either of them because of this but nas was my fav rapper n i despise jay now

but not knowing your jay history is one of my RED FLAGS for CLUELESS hip hop fans

usually comes out in this debate when the stans go into overdrive

so in brief 

Depends on who you was listening to.

100 percent

• Upvote 1

nas, ghost n rae r three of the goats though and biggie died so uno he's the best ever

reasonable doubt may not have had the IMPACT certain debuts had but music wise dpmo

in terms of standing there was a lot of stiff competetion them times but id prob put jay second tier coming into first (first being nas pos. ghost/rae and biggie and pac)

once again the east coast them times was fucking stacked.

nah i think jays still in a top tier of ny rappers just coz hes outlasted most of the top guys from ny around that time

hes still making music, and is culturally relevant/influencing trends which most of those guys cant say theyve done or been for a long time

not directed at u flojo but this u was being cheeky there

In fact when was it widely accepted as a classic?

yes mad. insertcamgif

I aren't trying to hold RD up against IWW, I'm addressing the man who are trying to hold it up against Illmatic like they're size when they're clearly not. The latter influenced a host of rappers than went on to make classics in that era.

You mentioned Ghostface

“When I used to listen to Nas back in the days, it was like, ‘Oh shit! He murdered that.’ That forced me to get my pen game up and like, ‘How can I try to catch it how this nigga’s catchin’ it?’ It’s just things like that. You know?”

When asked to elaborate, Ghost explained how much Illmatic meant to him and how much it influenced his rhymes on future projects.

“The whole fuckin’ Illmatic album! The whole Illmatic album forced you to go ahead and do shit,” Ghostface added. “You know, you jump on [1995’s Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...] after, and you fuck around like, ‘Oh shit!’ You just try to throw your darts around. It was inspiration. He dropped that second album [1996’s It Was Written]. That shit was murder too…things of that nature.” 

P

After witnessing the success that fellow Queensbridge native Nas had with Illmatic in 1994, Prodigy says they were motivated to increase the quality of their music.

"You could just hear the difference between his lyrics and beats and ours," he says of the revelation. "That's when we started putting our heart and soul into the music and really trying to make something that could last."

Reasonable Doubt is a good album but like I said Jay Z lobbied for years for it to be deemed a classic rather than people coming to that conclusion on their own. The Source were the first to do so in 2000/2001 just before Blueprint came out and from then onwards it was widely accepted as a classic.

Do people honestly think that had Jay Z just gone on to be an average rapper that in 2014 people would be holding up Reasonable Doubt as an album that defined an era?

Reasonable Doubt is a good album but like I said Jay Z lobbied for years for it to be deemed a classic rather than people coming to that conclusion on their own. The Source were the first to do so in 2000/2001 just before Blueprint came out and from then onwards it was widely accepted as a classic.

Do people honestly think that had Jay Z just gone on to be an average rapper that in 2014 people would be holding up Reasonable Doubt as an album that defined an era?

I'm gonna have to disagree you know I think Reasonable doubt dropped in the golden era it came out in 96 it came after so many good albums it was probably just underated at the time cause of the quality of the albums that came before it

That doesn't take anything away from the quality of Reasonable Doubt 

Guest Chelsea Jack

Yeah f*ck all that sh*t it was strictly about lyrics and hard verses

I have heard some good nas & raekwon verses in the last 18months. Jay dropped some really weak stuff in the same time frame. He might have outlasted most in the public eye but as a fan he has peaked a long time ago.

this

Guest Chelsea Jack

I'm gonna have to disagree you know I think Reasonable doubt dropped in the golden era it came out in 96 it came after so many good albums it was probably just underated at the time cause of the quality of the albums that came before it

he wasn't trying to dispute the albums quality

he was disputing its immediate impact and said it wasnt as influential as illmatic, which is the truth

My life is gettin too wild

I need to bring some sort calm to it

Bout to lose it voices screaming "Don't do it!"

It's like '93, '94, bout the year

That Big and Mack dropped and "Illmatic" rocked

Outta every rag dropand the West had it locked

Everybody doing them, I'm still stretching on the block

Like "Damn, I'mma be a failure"

Surrounded by thugs, drugs, and drug paraphenalia

even jigga knows the levels

Guest Chelsea Jack

he wasn't trying to dispute the albums quality

he was disputing its immediate impact and said it wasnt as influential as illmatic, which is the truth

My life is gettin too wild

I need to bring some sort calm to it

Bout to lose it voices screaming "Don't do it!"

It's like '93, '94, bout the year

That Big and Mack dropped and "Illmatic" rocked

Outta every rag dropand the West had it locked

Everybody doing them, I'm still stretching on the block

Like "Damn, I'mma be a failure"

Surrounded by thugs, drugs, and drug paraphenalia

even jigga knows the levels

• 7 months later...