Jay-Z Vs. Nas - Album for album

Fresh To Death

Dont know why the majority of Jay Z fans deter from the music side of things and make it personal and about the actual artist rather than the music

''purists''

''conscious fans''

''backpack fans''

And it ALWAYS ends up going back to Takeover vs Ether 

It will never change, NEVER. Had these conversations ad nauseam

/

Like Flojo alluded to, context is a factor that shouldn't be overlooked when comparing the albums. Illmatic's contextual impact is not even a discussion

What facts are in Takeov

Wowser.

Reasonable Doubt vs. Illmatic is debatable, Jigga takes that one for me.

And go and listen to Ether now. Track is full of sh*t. Takeover and Blueprint crushes Ether. At the time as a teen I was gassed. Now, I appreciate HOV's response a hell of a lot more.

Takeover is full of more shit actually.

People always like to act as if Takeover is more factual when its not, Ether had more 'facts' in it.

Wowser.

And go and listen to Ether now. Track is full of sh*t. Takeover and Blueprint crushes Ether. At the time as a teen I was gassed. Now, I appreciate HOV's response a hell of a lot more.

!!

Considering his peak Jay is a horrible artist nowadays, he fell off much worse then Nas. Funnily I'd check for a new Jay album before Nas though just because his music is more accessible/ easier to listen to and I can just fling it on in the background nod to the beat and focus on what am doing. Nas on the other hand requires attention to appreciate which I do t have time for nowadays.

Looking back now I think Nas's catalogue has stood the test of time better then jiggas his classics I can play today n feel them like back in the day whereas a lot of jays were banging at the time but don't resonate the same way years down the line.

Can defo agree with the test of time when talking about certain Jay material, especially after Black Album.

Blueprint 3, Magna Carta and WTT to an extent, me and my boy agreed were good for that point in time but after a year or so doubt it they were spun that much by most.

But still, I see it as him showing he can keep up with whats going on in rap at a time, suttin Nas can't do, and man is 44 years of age….

I'm not sure how that is a good thing?

Smh you think Prince or Sade gives a f*ck about trends?

• Upvote 1

Lol @ jay following trends.

jays a trend setter

. Not really

He just has the voice to amplify things basquiat,hublot etc. Niggas was talkin about it before but it didnt register. Jay says it and its everyones expertise all of a sudden and everyone wants to make a song/verse about it. Its the name. I doubt he has set any trends tbh

If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be

Lyrically Talib Kweli

Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense

But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since

sums up new jay z

/thread

for me its nas over jay but 

that verse sums up why jay dont try as hard

he dosent need the lyrically great - hes wanted that paper and can anyone deny his tactics havent given him riches

that said jay can go in when he wants but it flys over most peoples heads

Wowser.

!!

Considering his peak Jay is a horrible artist nowadays, he fell off much worse then Nas. Funnily I'd check for a new Jay album before Nas though just because his music is more accessible/ easier to listen to and I can just fling it on in the background nod to the beat and focus on what am doing. Nas on the other hand requires attention to appreciate which I do t have time for nowadays.

Looking back now I think Nas's catalogue has stood the test of time better then jiggas his classics I can play today n feel them like back in the day whereas a lot of jays were banging at the time but don't resonate the same way years down the line.

Can defo agree with the test of time when talking about certain Jay material, especially after Black Album.

Blueprint 3, Magna Carta and WTT to an extent, me and my boy agreed were good for that point in time but after a year or so doubt it they were spun that much by most.

But still, I see it as him showing he can keep up with whats going on in rap at a time, suttin Nas can't do, and man is 44 years of age….

I'm not sure how that is a good thing?

Smh you think Prince or Sade gives a f*ck about trends?

IMO it is considering rap is seen as a 'young mans game', can't really compare R&B/Soul can you

What facts are in Takeov

Wowser.

Takeover is full of more shit actually.

People always like to act as if Takeover is more factual when its not, Ether had more 'facts' in it.

Please.

Just go and listen to Ether again. Just once more...

[Verse One: Nas]

Through the lights cameras and action, glamour glitters and gold
I unfold the scroll, plant seeds to stampede the globe
When I'm deceased, by then the beast arise like yeast
to conquer peace leaving savages to roam in the streets
Live on the run, police paying me to give in my gun
Trick my Wisdom, with the system that imprisoned my son
Smoke a gold leaf I hold heat, nonchalantly
I'm grungy, but things I do is real it never haunts me
while, funny style niggaz roll in the pile
Rooster heads profile on a bus to Riker's Isle
Holdin weed inside they p*ssy with they minds on the