GRIME

Lionel & Dave

Went to a grime rave the other week the whole actual demographic has changed my brother was weirded out by this. First thing he said was all the beats dont even sound like Grime they are Hip Hop beats, He loved Faze Miyake Take Off but was adament this beat was Hip Hop not Grime.

Then he started to mention the actual crowd at the event and what they wore. Black people were in the minority it was full of these trendy white kids you see on skins. When man was into grime of course you had white guys but it was filled to the rafters with black people who looked like they come from the estates which the music being played was representing. Whole thing is a mind fuck.

Eski dance back in the day

Eski dance 2012

Spot the diffrence

• Upvote 3

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Yh hate these shorditchesque cunts that go to these things cos it's cool to like that sort of music now

It's like so über cringe yah!

logan and the internet killed grime

Every ends in London used to have there own pirate stations and then there were the big ones like deja that you could get anywhere

Used to get a 2/3 sets a day and then each station used to have there own events in the ends where you could hear some grime in a local rave

and then you used to get the super raves like eskimo dance and sidewinder

with this you would get guys breaking out and going mainstream through the success and fanbase they built on the underground like dizzee, kano and wiley.

Logan come along now with his show on kiss gassing these guys up into thinking they are stars already before they are signed and have any actual releases or success and money from music into trying to make songs before they have perfected there craft as mcs.... and instead of going on local stations like they would before they thought they were above it because they had been on kiss....... a lot of mcs started pumping money into studio time and after a while a lot gave up after seeing no return from it.....pirate radio died

and the internet took over....fans started searching online for there fix and sets and songs even though a lot more professional became a lot less after a while a lot of people gave up with it because instead of the original sound and original sets of hungry mcs over beats made by loads of different producers it turned into a few gassed up mcs spitting over a handful of beats made by an in circle that logan was given airtime to that just sounded poor in comparison to the hip hop and house music which was out and using the same or similar formats.....

also these already gassed up mcs from being played on kiss and 1xtra but still not making money from music....started getting love and treated like celebs from new fans from all over england online thanks to new social media with first myspace and then facebook(was dead already when facebook took over) where as before they were that guy from the ends that spits......same with a lesser extent to producers and djs.

the new crowd of fans are basically the same leaches who jumped on to drum n bass and still try to keep it going long after jungle died.....

these times when man used to listen to grime in like 02/03 and you used to go slightly outer london into the sticks and that you used to hear dnb blaring out of these white boys cars...... now 10 years later its some type of grime music.

RIP

• Upvote 8

Good point John Wall, I pos'd. So industry mechanisms killed grime? I think it's easy to blame them, but ego is another thing you can't leave out.

Notice how every grime MC who got slightly popular decided that they wanted to be an 'artist' and make 'music', as if they weren't already making music. Suddenly MCs wanted you to know that they could rhyme over an acoustic guitar, or with a female vocalist etc. Some bullshit, when most of us only liked them for what they were doing originally, not what they 'realized' about themselves down the line.

Selling out is a big temptation once you realize that there is a braindead market of 10-18 year olds with debit cards and internet access.

• Upvote 4

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Freeze and Laylow Fm

Nuff memories of being locked into these two stations on my old raggo nokia.

Those were the days.

NOKIA_8310.jpg

Spent many a night with one of these in a pissy stair well locked on sharing an earphone

• Upvote 1

Good point John Wall, I pos'd. So industry mechanisms killed grime? I think it's easy to blame them, but ego is another thing you can't leave out.

Notice how every grime MC who got slightly popular decided that they wanted to be an 'artist' and make 'music', as if they weren't already making music. Suddenly MCs wanted you to know that they could rhyme over an acoustic guitar, or with a female vocalist etc. Some bullshit, when most of us only liked them for what they were doing originally, not what they 'realized' about themselves down the line.

Selling out is a big temptation once you realize that there is a braindead market of 10-18 year olds with debit cards and internet access.

real fuckin talk

this is all well and good but i say it again. PEOPLE HAVE TO EAT.

u cant remain bummy because of grime purists that u cant make a decent lving off anyway

im not condoning shitty music

Guest PROFIT MARGINS

Don't think he's saying the 'artists' are wrong for doing it

Just pointing out y grime died.

But tbf so solid managed to go mainstream b4 anyone else without selling out

Infact like man have said they were screaming about having the ting on no.1's ffs