english culture

local

infamous n kompressor are talking about culture too narrowly, as in outdated traditions and history

it aint all about dancing around the maypole

you both probably use the tube, u speak the language, use the alphabet, get paid in sterling, probably have xmas dinner

n u both watch the same sh*t on the tv and at the cinema, which literally creates the moral deficient homogenous material culture that allows big businesses to continue profiting from our bleak manufactured existence, they've mastered it in america n now it's bein imported everywhere else

modern english culture is all around you, whether its something to be proud of and passed down to our children is a different matter

contrast the food we eat with past generations

the intrusive laws and regulations and overly governed way of modern life, the education of our young, the standard architecture - not gimmicky 1 offs like the shard but the cheap n ugly new built houses everywhere, art - music, film, tv, most profit-based media = hollow marketing

we're goin backwards

stacks u can't put your finger on "what is english culture" because culture is a complex broad intangible subject so ur limited intelligence will not allow it

Very good points,

Guess a lot comes down to the definition of culture, I think of traditions passed through generations as being one of the things that makes up a culture among other things.

That's why I'm saying I'll probably have to look into it, as I guess you could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers so it's all about forming your own opinions.

yep, every country has modern culture

perhaps whats missing more...is tradition.

in a lot of countries many of their traditions are based on religion - festivals, parades etc we dont have that in the uk coz we are too worried about offending people smh

as a Scot I cant say we are THAT much better, but there are some small things that are quite common. for example- dressing in our traditional clothing for special occasions (eg new years and weddings), and celebrating famous scots of the past (robert burns supper in honour of a famous poet, held on the anniversary of his birth, where we eat a traditional meal of haggis, turnip and potatos and some people read his poetry).

then you have the irish with st paddys day and their old music.

forgive my ignorance but no english equivalents come to mind. st georges day?

• Upvote 1

for thoose who arent english themselves and are trying to say england doesnt have a culture anymore are absolutly rediculous.

il tell you what theres no point trying to figure it out, most people who work in the banking/ admin/ professional sector of work have to live with t

this culture everyday

most times its slagging off anyone whos different, them licking each others arseholes and alot of bastards.

• Downvote 2

Can't possibly say that a country that at one point ruled half the world doesn't have culture, historically its one of the most culturally rich nations on the planet. Having said that, I can understand why on the surface it may seem that that culture is no longer existent. Fact of the matter is, England and its cities have becoming melting pots for global culture, London being the prime example, with every religion and race being represented in some capacity. Foreign influence has definitely diluted the culture though, it can't be denied.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

england has culture. their problem is their so racist to understand that the same people who they like to insult about not integrating with their culture are the ones who have enriched it or made it possible.

they also want to steal other people's culture and then claim its theirs and that foreigners are interfering with it

shakespeares greatest works had nothing to do with england or english culture,

dog racing? was introduced by americans

fish and chips? brought to you by BLACK portuguese jews, including pasties (so called cornish pasties)

opera came from mainland europe

sports? many invented in england that cant be denied. however the biggest sport....football although organised in england has been transformed by largely non english people to what it is today.

so whats happening today is cunts like local who listen to david starkey about how 'great' england WAS (although conveniently leaves out that was made possible by enslaving half the world) dont really know how english culture came to being and how its ALWAYS been introduced, enriched or been heavily contributed to by 'foreigners'

but your inherent racism only wants to focus on the negative. f*ck you and your culture..u dont have any its a myth

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

go away mate

ur another petercrotch level idiot

goin on about opera and dog racing, some sh*t fountain of irrelevant knowledge

u sound like a jealous child every time u post u gay alcholic

some hodgepodge malfunctioning product of immigration intent on justifying his existence by taunting whitey over who invented fish n chips

the origins of any aspect of english culture wasnt being disputed tbh, but i understand ur an angry little man in need of an output so we'll ignore the irrelevance of your "the problem"

your using the "the english eat d curry, drink d Heineken, drive d toyota so how can complain bout immigration lol" logic

the majority of things people would associate with historical english culture - arts, food, architecture, democracy - were developed in england n spread around the globe tbh

its how africa has buildings and japan has computers, external cultural influences aint rare

• Upvote 3

ur a c*nt, i never mentioned curry

i mentioned the arts, and and food, but now you mention architecture and democracy

which again were NOT English originals....englands ancient architecture is heavily influenced by others

such as moorish,islamic,greco roman influence. democracy? i didnt see the common wealth vote to be ruled by england

Africa's had buildings long before any where in europe ever had any and had nothing to influence it,

the english language came about thanks to west germanic, latin, arabic, and french, so again its not 'indigenous'

and then you're complaining about losing your "english" identity which is something happening all over the world in the way you describe it

thats part of the joo world order which affects everyone. and is why the world is much smaller today thanks to technology...so that 'problem' is not unique to England.

• Downvote 4

na i explained it's happening all across the developed world, not relevant really

obviously external and pre-existing influences exist, its not stealing

n you should know mate your a shining outcome of cultural transition urself, a walking c*nt who blames the west for his confused self-hating existence so he bums lumberjacks n queens about on forums

• Upvote 1

Like many I was a bit sad to see the topic locked as I thought this could be a decent discussion.

I dunno, I kinda get where Stacks is coming from in the fact a "culture" is not really evident among the lower classes imo.

This is quite unique to England I would say, most other countries I can think of the working class exhibit signs of their homelands culture.

Maybe it is because England is so multicultural as Local said but it kinda ties in to Marvell's point about outside influences aswell.

But if you look at the history of England this has been happening for 2000 years so it's no wonder there may not be a discernible culture among the lower classes.

You may also have to take into account how the lower class are ostracized by the upper class, it is quite possibly more severe here than most places.

There is definitely something special about this country as many geniuses like Kubrick and Handel left their place of birth to spend the rest of their days here.

You have people like Hitchcock, Daphne du Maurier, John Keats etc... but I don't feel they are as relevant to working class people as they should be.

Take for instance Spike Lee, most black people I know have his films or have atleast seen most of them, Spike Lee is part of black culture.

But then Local may have a point, they try to teach Shakespeare and the Empire in schools but many complain the history doesn't represent them, maybe this is a drawback of multiculturalism?

Does England have culture, most definitely but does it play an influential part of most working class people's lives, I'd say unfortunately not.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let's put it this way.

Europe essentially had no 'high culture' until the Englightenment, which itself occurred around the same time the Triangle Trade was dragging Europe from a collection of warring, feudal states towards something that resembled capitalism. The etymology of the term 'culture' itself, and the modern context that we understand was not conceived until the 19th Century.

No-one in Europe was talking about 'culture' in Shakespeare's day, I doubt the average serf would have gone 'Hark, upon the hill, the Shakespeare fellow comes'.

culture (n.)

mid-15c., "the tilling of land," from M.Fr. culture and directly from L. cultura "a cultivating, agriculture," figuratively "care, culture, an honoring," from pp. stem of colere "tend, guard, cultivate, till" (see cult). The figurative sense of "cultivation through education" is first attested c.1500. Meaning "the intellectual side of civilization" is from 1805; that of "collective customs and achievements of a people" is from 1867.

Europe spent years fighting to find an identity of its own, so there has never been a fixed 'culture'. The one constant has been the languages, but even those are a mixture of Latin, Greek and regional dialects...But give it 200 years (assuming no wars), when everyone speaks English, what will a poem written in English by a child in Nigeria be considered? Nigerian or English?

Language alone cannot tie a culture together.

Make sure you lot watch^!

PEOPLE create culture, not races, or geographies, or melanin. Culture is not a static thing, it changes as people change.

The beauty of the British Empire was that it enabled cultural exchanges, admittedly for financial reasons, but the flows have worked both ways. Yet we're not taught about reggae, despite it being a result of the British Empire, it ain't a part of any history curriculum. Patois is English, yet it is not taught in English lessons!

Another thing about culture, is it needs the presence of an OPPOSITE culture in order to exist as a distinct entity. This rings true for almost anything, and is a cornerstone of the concept of the Hegelian dialectic.

• Upvote 1

The working classes have a big impact on all kinds of British cultural movements, I know Punk and House were both American working class inventions but it was the English working class who made them the revolutions they went on to become.

england has culture. their problem is their so racist to understand that the same people who they like to insult about not integrating with their culture are the ones who have enriched it or made it possible.

they also want to steal other people's culture and then claim its theirs and that foreigners are interfering with it

shakespeares greatest works had nothing to do with england or english culture,

dog racing? was introduced by americans

fish and chips? brought to you by BLACK portuguese jews, including pasties (so called cornish pasties)

opera came from mainland europe

sports? many invented in england that cant be denied. however the biggest sport....football although organised in england has been transformed by largely non english people to what it is today.

so whats happening today is cunts like local who listen to david starkey about how 'great' england WAS (although conveniently leaves out that was made possible by enslaving half the world) dont really know how english culture came to being and how its ALWAYS been introduced, enriched or been heavily contributed to by 'foreigners'

but your inherent racism only wants to focus on the negative. f*ck you and your culture..u dont have any its a myth

MARVELL'OUS

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No-one in Europe was talking about 'culture' in Shakespeare's day, I doubt the average serf would have gone 'Hark, upon the hill, the Shakespeare fellow comes'.

Whilst true I don't think there needed to be a specific term at the time for the phenomenon to exist.

The Beggers Opera by Pepusch and Gay was a huge part of English culture fuelled by the lower class just as Shakespeare was a hundred years before.

And Shakespeare in writing about places like Venice and Genoa was drawing on the obvious differences in lifestyle from his England, this is culture in everything but name.

And even going back to William the Conqueror he brought many aspects of Normandy culture to England.